• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

A class based system, some thought provoking suggestions perhaps

Thread starter #1

Templar

Survivor
Backer
Hey there everyone! This is my first post on the forums here, i'm a huge fan of the zombie genre, been that ever since I saw Dawn of the dead from the 70s broadcast on cable tv when I was a little kid. I did not realize what I was seeing, having been confronted with the whole concept of a ''zombie'' for the first time in my life. I even had nightmares for a few days after hehe. But damn I was hooked! I have seen most if not all zombie movies out there. Also I have played lots of zombie survival games, wether it was multiplayer based or singleplayer. A game like Survive the Nights has been a dream for me for a long time, far before the coming of popular zombie survival games/mods like dayz with all due respect. And I know it has also been a dream for many, many other people aswell way before that!

Now, onto my suggestion. How many of you are familiar with the movie Land of the dead? In this movie, most of the world has been overrun by a zombie virus
, and about 99 percent of all humans are zombies, atleast that's how the story of the movie portrays it vaguely, as it is not clear at all if this is the case! Anyways, there is this one city which is seen as one of the last outposts of humanity, being guarded by electric fences on 3 sides, and a big river on one side. It has military-like guards on the 3 sides, and at various outposts on the outskirts of the city. All the suburbs and and woods surrounding the city are inhabited by zombies. There is one big tower with luxury condo's inside in the middle of the city, where one millionaire lives who has paid for all of these things to be there. The city itself even has a living economy with middle-class, high-class and low class people living inside. From the middle, to the outward border of the city, it's inhabitants go from high-mid-low-ghetto as the dominant group of people living there. The tower in the middle is basically the most save place to live. Soldiers go out of the city raiding for supplies in packs with vehicles, including a big truck-like armored vehicle with a rocket launcher system, and machine guns and hi-tech technology on the inside, called The Dead Reckoning. This vehicle is also financed by the millionaire in the movie.

Now, onto my suggestion. As this system that works this way in the movie in the city, is really inspiring atleast for me, as it is how mankind Always have been throughout the ages, even till today. That while the rest of the world is dominated by zombies, this is apparently the system humans stick to, in order to keep things balanced in their city.

All of this is community driven, as opposed to individualism, something which I think if some sort of way this could be implented in STN, would greatly enrich it with alot of content which would make it stand out from other sort like games, making it into a gold mine for the developers.

You see, in my opinion the thing with most open world zombie survival multiplayer FPS/TPS games is is that the endgame, as is mentioned in other topics on here aswell, is achieved really fast, and is repetetive.

There is no living organism among survivors, survivors who are humans with human needs and thought like trade, greed, commerce, safety, laziness, etc! An in-game economy would do alot for this. This all, in combination with a serious threat with a world overrun by zombies, would make the perfect match of thriller, caring to play, and horror!

Implenting something like the city from Land of the dead, something a like, or options for this, would make STN great! And it takes a lot of brainstorming, I know, but anything towards it is a step in the right direction!

Moderator #2

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Community Mod
Backer
Hey there everyone! This is my first post on the forums here, i'm a huge fan of the zombie genre, been that ever since I saw Dawn of the dead from the 70s broadcast on cable tv when I was a little kid. I did not realize what I was seeing, having been confronted with the whole concept of a ''zombie'' for the first time in my life. I even had nightmares for a few days after hehe. But damn I was hooked! I have seen most if not all zombie movies out there. Also I have played lots of zombie survival games, wether it was multiplayer based or singleplayer. A game like Survive the Nights has been a dream for me for a long time, far before the coming of popular zombie survival games/mods like dayz with all due respect. And I know it has also been a dream for many, many other people aswell way before that!

Now, onto my suggestion. How many of you are familiar with the movie Land of the dead? In this movie, most of the world has been overrun by a zombie virus
, and about 99 percent of all humans are zombies, atleast that's how the story of the movie portrays it vaguely, as it is not clear at all if this is the case! Anyways, there is this one city which is seen as one of the last outposts of humanity, being guarded by electric fences on 3 sides, and a big river on one side. It has military-like guards on the 3 sides, and at various outposts on the outskirts of the city. All the suburbs and and woods surrounding the city are inhabited by zombies. There is one big tower with luxury condo's inside in the middle of the city, where one millionaire lives who has paid for all of these things to be there. The city itself even has a living economy with middle-class, high-class and low class people living inside. From the middle, to the outward border of the city, it's inhabitants go from high-mid-low-ghetto as the dominant group of people living there. The tower in the middle is basically the most save place to live. Soldiers go out of the city raiding for supplies in packs with vehicles, including a big truck-like armored vehicle with a rocket launcher system, and machine guns and hi-tech technology on the inside, called The Dead Reckoning. This vehicle is also financed by the millionaire in the movie.

Now, onto my suggestion. As this system that works this way in the movie in the city, is really inspiring atleast for me, as it is how mankind Always have been throughout the ages, even till today. That while the rest of the world is dominated by zombies, this is apparently the system humans stick to, in order to keep things balanced in their city.

All of this is community driven, as opposed to individualism, something which I think if some sort of way this could be implented in STN, would greatly enrich it with alot of content which would make it stand out from other sort like games, making it into a gold mine for the developers.

You see, in my opinion the thing with most open world zombie survival multiplayer FPS/TPS games is is that the endgame, as is mentioned in other topics on here aswell, is achieved really fast, and is repetetive.

There is no living organism among survivors, survivors who are humans with human needs and thought like trade, greed, commerce, safety, laziness, etc! An in-game economy would do alot for this. This all, in combination with a serious threat with a world overrun by zombies, would make the perfect match of thriller, caring to play, and horror!

Implenting something like the city from Land of the dead, something a like, or options for this, would make STN great! And it takes a lot of brainstorming, I know, but anything towards it is a step in the right direction!
Interesting suggestion, I know a couple other topics on the forums have touched on similar aspects, from NPCs to player-made towns like what you are suggesting. I believe more of what we'll eventually see with STN will be strictly player-driven... A lot of what the devs have said in updates/posts, they want to make the zombies the major threat, along with environmental factors as well, maybe and hopefully to the point where players are much more influenced to work together, or at least cooperate to stay alive. I do very much agree that "endgame" is typically reached far too quickly in the other open-world apocalypse games, and that is something that has been talked about many times on the forums. I personally feel there are several fundamental flaws with other zombie apocalypse games in general that cause this, lack of zombies, lack of zombies being a threat, lack of environmental threat, not hard enough/long enough looting/crafting function, etc., etc. One thing to remember about STN is this is supposed to take place fairly shortly after the apocalypse, rather than years down the line,so IMO the large, established cities wouldn't really be situated yet, saying that however, doesn't take away the option to hopefully in the future group up with people and complete a similar goal as what you are mentioning. It would take a good role-playing, dedicated group... which many of us interested in the STN are. :D

Davz Not Here

Backer
it's a great idea and this has come up dozens of times but i think specifically in a thread regarding "safe zones" ..... either player made or built-in

and classes (your title "a class based system") has also been discussed in depth in several threads. i myself went deep down the rabbit hole on classes ..... i have tonnes of ideas .....

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Cool idea and like mentioned above, this will most likely be down to the players doing it themselves apart from the obvious good people vs bad people... but the problem with "social classes" they never work and the people at the bottom will never help those at the top and vice versa.

Just like in "Land of the Dead" the high class don't care about those that live in the bottom of the tower and they have no skills to defend themselves. The lower class at the bottom don't care about those that live at the top, they have the skills to defend themselves but not the equipment because those at the top want the best.

Which is always the problem and why some want a total civil and social breakdown in reality, and in that event... the ones at the bottom will cope fine.

As for the end-game, I think this is cool (discussed else-where) and should almost be a personal choice i.e some people may want to escape the island where others might want to re-start civilization...

Cavers

Backer
I would enjoy something like a multi player with an endgame. You queue to join a server and when the population requirement has been met the server game begins.
For instance, you have a 40 player server in which the point of the game is to rid the map you are in of zombies. The zombies are released in waves ^^ perhaps walking out of the ocean ^^ lol, so that the game will last a while.
On start day, the server is populated with the 40 players and 1000 or so zombies spread out around the map. After some time the next wave is released and do this a few times until you reach the estimated population of the potentially infected in the surrounding area. As well, every time a player dies say 100 or so are immediately spawned throughout the map.
Supplies in the map do not respawn at all. Zero. Nothing magically appears on that shelf you cleared off 2 weeks ago unless someone put it there.
You are almost forced to work together in a group effort to complete the game. You stuff is not safe. Locks can be broken. But doing so would be loud and may be looked down upon by the server population should you be caught doing so. Players can kill other players, but doing so would damage the rep you need to have prior to joining the server. You can only join a server that matches your reputation level. And your rep is linked to your steam and can be moderately adjusted over time.
You can't have 300 kills and suddenly want to play on a low risk server. But you can have your rep adjusted after every run of the game. Play till your end game (succeed or die trying) and your rep will be adjusted based on how you played that game.
Meet 0 people, kill 0 people, get mauled by a bear and your rep wont change. Encounter 30 of the other players in your population and kill none of them, and your rep will get better. Kill one or two of them say for breaking the lock on your door and stealing your stuff. Well that wont send your bad rep to the next level, but do it a few times and it will. And the population may take notice.
Maybe a way for community voted execution which would not effect your rep as much? :) PvE players can enjoy a low risk server and PvP players can enjoy a higher risk server dependent upon their rep, which they would consider as a skill level. And as the rep gets lower -> or skill gets higher, however you want to say that, the zombies and wild population get more aggressive, fast and deadly.
This, allows everyone who is not interested in grieving other players too much to play how they want and still have the danger that would be and has to be a possible threat of the population turning on each other.
And it would allow those who want more PvP action to engage in the perfect level of action they are interested in.

Sorry for all the text. I think I got that all out coherently. Forgive me if not.

Thread starter #6

Templar

Survivor
Backer
I would enjoy something like a multi player with an endgame. You queue to join a server and when the population requirement has been met the server game begins.
For instance, you have a 40 player server in which the point of the game is to rid the map you are in of zombies. The zombies are released in waves ^^ perhaps walking out of the ocean ^^ lol, so that the game will last a while.
On start day, the server is populated with the 40 players and 1000 or so zombies spread out around the map. After some time the next wave is released and do this a few times until you reach the estimated population of the potentially infected in the surrounding area. As well, every time a player dies say 100 or so are immediately spawned throughout the map.
Supplies in the map do not respawn at all. Zero. Nothing magically appears on that shelf you cleared off 2 weeks ago unless someone put it there.
You are almost forced to work together in a group effort to complete the game. You stuff is not safe. Locks can be broken. But doing so would be loud and may be looked down upon by the server population should you be caught doing so. Players can kill other players, but doing so would damage the rep you need to have prior to joining the server. You can only join a server that matches your reputation level. And your rep is linked to your steam and can be moderately adjusted over time.
You can't have 300 kills and suddenly want to play on a low risk server. But you can have your rep adjusted after every run of the game. Play till your end game (succeed or die trying) and your rep will be adjusted based on how you played that game.
Meet 0 people, kill 0 people, get mauled by a bear and your rep wont change. Encounter 30 of the other players in your population and kill none of them, and your rep will get better. Kill one or two of them say for breaking the lock on your door and stealing your stuff. Well that wont send your bad rep to the next level, but do it a few times and it will. And the population may take notice.
Maybe a way for community voted execution which would not effect your rep as much? :) PvE players can enjoy a low risk server and PvP players can enjoy a higher risk server dependent upon their rep, which they would consider as a skill level. And as the rep gets lower -> or skill gets higher, however you want to say that, the zombies and wild population get more aggressive, fast and deadly.
This, allows everyone who is not interested in grieving other players too much to play how they want and still have the danger that would be and has to be a possible threat of the population turning on each other.
And it would allow those who want more PvP action to engage in the perfect level of action they are interested in.

Sorry for all the text. I think I got that all out coherently. Forgive me if not.
My apologies for bumping this old thread, but in this post right here are some great ideas and concepts being called which I haven't seen being told before! I hope the devs take notes hehe!

Maybe if I may add, a sort of time meter per server, which will show in what stadium of a pre-conceived time table the server is in. There is lots of room to be creative with in this department and I hope the developers will decide to implent something like this, to keep the game fresh and standing out of all other games out there!

Cool idea and like mentioned above, this will most likely be down to the players doing it themselves apart from the obvious good people vs bad people... but the problem with "social classes" they never work and the people at the bottom will never help those at the top and vice versa.

Just like in "Land of the Dead" the high class don't care about those that live in the bottom of the tower and they have no skills to defend themselves. The lower class at the bottom don't care about those that live at the top, they have the skills to defend themselves but not the equipment because those at the top want the best.

Which is always the problem and why some want a total civil and social breakdown in reality, and in that event... the ones at the bottom will cope fine.

As for the end-game, I think this is cool (discussed else-where) and should almost be a personal choice i.e some people may want to escape the island where others might want to re-start civilization...
Good thinking, but re-starting civilization could mean a newly created society along the lines that I have layed out in my opening post. I think if we are given the option in the game to choose a certain ranked structure and economy system, if the developers decide to implent an option of building a civilization of some sort, it could add heaps of depth to the gameplay.

Interesting suggestion, I know a couple other topics on the forums have touched on similar aspects, from NPCs to player-made towns like what you are suggesting. I believe more of what we'll eventually see with STN will be strictly player-driven... A lot of what the devs have said in updates/posts, they want to make the zombies the major threat, along with environmental factors as well, maybe and hopefully to the point where players are much more influenced to work together, or at least cooperate to stay alive. I do very much agree that "endgame" is typically reached far too quickly in the other open-world apocalypse games, and that is something that has been talked about many times on the forums. I personally feel there are several fundamental flaws with other zombie apocalypse games in general that cause this, lack of zombies, lack of zombies being a threat, lack of environmental threat, not hard enough/long enough looting/crafting function, etc., etc. One thing to remember about STN is this is supposed to take place fairly shortly after the apocalypse, rather than years down the line,so IMO the large, established cities wouldn't really be situated yet, saying that however, doesn't take away the option to hopefully in the future group up with people and complete a similar goal as what you are mentioning. It would take a good role-playing, dedicated group... which many of us interested in the STN are. :D
Great post! Implented role-playing gameplay elements would be great!

it's a great idea and this has come up dozens of times but i think specifically in a thread regarding "safe zones" ..... either player made or built-in

and classes (your title "a class based system") has also been discussed in depth in several threads. i myself went deep down the rabbit hole on classes ..... i have tonnes of ideas .....
Classes would indeed be very cool if added in some way! Anything to break the static standard gameplay that inhabits so many survival games out there. A game like Survive The Nights would be worth gold if it contains depth!

Last edited:

Jmkon646

Backer
That would actually be a pretty cool idea, I don't think that it should hinder your ability to learn/gain xp from doing other things. but it should definitely give you a good start on a certain set of skills, or starting points in certain areas kind of like Fo3 with the G.O.A.T. So if you start as an Engineer or what have you, you would look through a vehicles parts almost seamlessly and repair fortifications a whole lot faster and be better at repair skill, melee damage and maybe setting traps or?