• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

A lot of zombies is a must!

Thread starter #1

DazedGlory

Backer
TL:DR -- Need alot more zombie action to help prevent bandit action or slim it down, but no so much that you cant roam and make sure they can at least somewhat be de-aggroed?

SO there is a love hate for bandits, and random killing that we all seem to come to hate, alot esp when the sole purpose of the game should be surviving. Of course i know there must be additional enemies(aka people/bandits) but i also feel that in times like this playing together plays a HUGE role esp if this happened for real, i know trust is hard when games like dayz, h1z1 have corrupted that system. SO this LEADS me to my point. While watching the others games that are identical to this i think me and my friends came up with a solution. There is an EXTREME lack amount of actual NPC enemies (AKA zombies), without there being an NPC, there is a lack of things to do so. lots of us like the funny role-play, kid-napping, but some don't like to talk or go with it so without things to do that gives camping and killing of people a thing! so will there be a respectable amount of zombies? like placed everywhere even the forest and higher volumes when there are valuables/towns? have some travel in packs like hordes? also make the them not so glitchy? or over powered/under powered!

brainspazm

Backer
Zombies come out to play hard at night so hopefully people would use daytime opportunity to protect themselves and scavenge up supplies and food, rather than attempting to get shot.

Thread starter #3

DazedGlory

Backer
Zombies come out to play hard at night so hopefully people would use daytime opportunity to protect themselves and scavenge up supplies and food, rather than attempting to get shot.
I heard they was doing that but zombies aren't vampires, they are'nt afraid of the dark, it'd be nice to increase their aggression, and their numbers at night but still have fair enough around the world during the day! you know what i mean? it's like easy play at day, with cooking, farming, hunting, gathering (aka run into people with lack of zombies and they are like welp i like what he has lets kill him) but by night, action with zombies but perhaps ill just hide behind my defenses, im just trying to find a way to im down the douche people that is on the scale of kill kill kill(even tho i know its impossible) but the true aspect of these type of games is to survive the threats of zombies i feel its got away from that, sometimes not making the game enjoyable! but i know what you mean :p

brainspazm

Backer
I heard they was doing that but zombies aren't vampires, they are'nt afraid of the dark, it'd be nice to increase their aggression, and their numbers at night but still have fair enough around the world during the day! you know what i mean? it's like easy play at day, with cooking, farming, hunting, gathering (aka run into people with lack of zombies and they are like welp i like what he has lets kill him) but by night, action with zombies but perhaps ill just hide behind my defenses, im just trying to find a way to im down the douche people that is on the scale of kill kill kill(even tho i know its impossible) but the true aspect of these type of games is to survive the threats of zombies i feel its got away from that, sometimes not making the game enjoyable! but i know what you mean :p
They're just more sensitive to light, I mean there's a few z games out there that uses zombies that get more aggressive at night like dying light for one or 7 days to die. But yeah if those douchebags just kill during the day it would suck at night, might have missed some areas to protect and well them going crazy (hearing things, seeing things and hands shaking makes for an easy zombie meal) haha.

henrikcomn

Backer
Games like DayZ, H1Z1, Breaking Point are all zombie survival games, but have one major flaw: There simply aren't enough zombies to be a threath!

Hordes with 30+ zombies I really hope will be in the game. Its a major factor in these games, and somehow no one (developer) is getting it right.

Moderator #6

Alexander Matthews

M0d3rat0r
Community Mod
Backer
I believe that's how the nights will be in this game, but remember you have to balance out the threat level between humans and zombies. Of course other survivors are threats as well, but I LOVE the idea of a crazy sized horde. It sounds amazing. Let's just hope it won't unbalance anything.

winINC

Backer
The problem so far has been the engine, and the servers. They just can't handle that load of zombies with all the players and other assets. I mean DayZ used to crash if there were more than 10 zombies near you. So that's why they spread it out like they do.

However I have seen and heard good things from this developer, so I'm starting to think that maybe they can make it happen.

Moderator #8

Alexander Matthews

M0d3rat0r
Community Mod
Backer
The problem so far has been the engine, and the servers. They just can't handle that load of zombies with all the players and other assets. I mean DayZ used to crash if there were more than 10 zombies near you. So that's why they spread it out like they do.

However I have seen and heard good things from this developer, so I'm starting to think that maybe they can make it happen.
I strongly believe they are able to do this. DayZ was indeed a mod though and the crashes...well were expected. Even the standalone doesn't want 10+ zombies in the same vicinity as the player. Take L4D as an example. You can definitely get 10+ zombies and still have a stable server. Then again L4D wasn't a free roam open world etc. but again I strongly believe they can do this.

winINC

Backer
I strongly believe they are able to do this. DayZ was indeed a mod though and the crashes...well were expected. Even the standalone doesn't want 10+ zombies in the same vicinity as the player. Take L4D as an example. You can definitely get 10+ zombies and still have a stable server. Then again L4D wasn't a free roam open world etc. but again I strongly believe they can do this.
Yea, exactly. L4D was a 4 player(8 with the vs-mode) game, and it only had to load assets for a small area at a time. On these servers it will have to load assets for, idk how many players, at least 30-60? That's a lot of power, and then AI on that.

Oh well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see what they can pull out of their hats. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that they fix it.

Moderator #10

Alexander Matthews

M0d3rat0r
Community Mod
Backer
Yea, exactly. L4D was a 4 player(8 with the vs-mode) game, and it only had to load assets for a small area at a time. On these servers it will have to load assets for, idk how many players, at least 30-60? That's a lot of power, and then AI on that.

Oh well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see what they can pull out of their hats. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that they fix it.
I think they might have to at first increase the server sizes. Well we won't be so sure just yet, but the size of L4D servers, maps and the different initializations that take place compared to what STN will be. I hope they can manage that well, but if not then perhaps later down the road.

But L4D executed that very well.

henrikcomn

Backer
It have nothing do with h1z1 and dayz not being able to have a lot of zombies on their servers - occasionally hordes do appear, so it is more a question about putting them in the game...
(
)

Davz Not Here

Backer
7 days to die has lots of zombies and runs fairly well ..... they also have the weekly horde system every 7th night that progressively gets bigger and nastier ..... seems to work well, and i think it's one of the better in this genre, especially lately.

if a similar idea was implemented, randomized / event triggered (NOT scheduled), etc. it could be interesting ..... the wandering horde that picks of stragglers and grows is well known in zombie lore, an almost group mind direction-ally triggered by sounds, smells, and sights.

Edit:

as far as the balance of threat level between players and zombies ..... i almost say 'the hell with that' .....
picture it ..... lets say we have
3x 10 person clans,
20 lone wolves as players

now lets say 2 clans team up to raid the 3rd clan ..... and maybe 10 of the lone wolves are taking pot shots from outside it all ..... when suddenly the noise attracts the herd 30+ deep ..... which rolls right through the combat area ...... mmmmm ..... dynamic action

Last edited:

Panky

That person just there
Backer
Zombies in things like dayz are fast but few and easily handled. Sure a few together may hurt you but it's not too big of a problem. I think this makes zombies a small distraction and ruins the feeling of the game. No more room in hell gets zombies perfect. Zombies are slow and usually plentiful, easily killed if you get them in the head but almost impossible if you don't. Unlike in dayz if you dont pay close attention to killing the infected then they can be a real problem because you can get infected with one hit, especially with melee but using a gun means hordes will come. Also it's more realistic that a rotting corpse is slow. Perhaps dead survivors would become a fast zombie for a while, this could add a entire new mechanic of burning corpses or putting bullet through dead surviors heads to ensure an even stronger zombie isnt allowed to attack them.
In dayz they had to make zombies forget about players after a minute or 2 of running after them because they would be too hard to handle because they run, meaning it wouldn't effect you to run in like a mad man and run out with out a care. Thats not how it should be, zombies wont just forget they will continue chasing you to the next city. Survivors would need to take out their stalkers before they go in to the next city or they would get overwhelmed.
With fast zombies you will miss out the chance to make actual roaming hordes but let's face it, who cares about fighting 1 zombie at a time but a huge horde you need to avoid.
Thanks for reading, tell me of any old threads you know of about the same topic :D

Moderator #18

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Community Mod
Backer
Slow, stupid and gathered in as big of a horde as we can get them in before breaking things lol
If you pull this off well, you will do what all the others in the genre have yet failed to do at all at this point. And, if so, you'll satisfy a whole lot of people looking exactly for this. No pressure. :D

PatrickD

Backer
I was thinking about the number of Zombies to deal with. I found in 7d2d that after I had a decent spot and some supplies the game became too easy and a bit boring because the zombies really weren't a threat any more. The flip side of this was if I started out with too many Zombies it was impossible to get started because you just kept getting destroyed haha. It would be cool if the number of Zombies increased with time (obviously up to a cap otherwise it would just look ridiculous haha). I understand that this may be quite difficult to implement online as people will be dropping in and out of servers and I have no knowledge whatsoever on developing games so i have no suggestions how to combat this. What do you guys think?

Moderator #20

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Community Mod
Backer
I hope there are huge amounts of slow, stupid, but relentless zombies... that are always a major threat, start to finish.