• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

A potential problem: foliage and fog on different settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter #1

drNovikov

Backer
I decided to warn the developers and the community about a potential problem that has affected some online games.

I have previously dontated to the infamous WarZ game and have played it a lot, sending bugreports. There was a big gamebreaking problem with foliage and fog.

Players could turn it off by switching to low graphics. So, those users who were playing on high settings, were sure they were covered while, in fact, every guy who played on low settings saw them as if they were served on a silver plate. People who did their best to stay hidden were shot as fishes in a barrel.

Here is a screenshot depicting the problem:

Why this is especially bad for a survival game?

In my opinion, stealth and evasion is an extremely important part of survival. Being able to hide in tall grass or cover your maneuvers under fog will greatly contribute to gameplay, while the aforementioned problem will definitely ruin a very important part of it.

TreeSlayer

Awesomenaut
Backer
I know i know we are far away from concentrating on graphics but, i have to show what would be a huge mistake to make for this game. And that is, make objects dissapear on lower graphics. To explane it a bit better there is a video from a game called warthunder, and what the devs did, was really really stupid. If you watch the whole video, you will see what i mean. The only reason why they did that in warthunder is, they want as many players playing their game as possbible and not only the ones with good pcs. Sounds good but how they solved it is very bad. And the STN devs also sayd that they want to make the game accessable to everyone. So it could basicly run on a potato.

The Video:

For those who dont get what i mean, for example the grass, its gone and you can see through it, and shoot other guys who have turned the grass on(med-high graphics) Also rocks, buildings and that sort of stuff is going to dissapear, only the tanks will be visible. Thats kinda a build in wallhack.
And yea, thats what would destroy your game if you would implement it.

greets tree

@JB_

Graham

The One You Should Avoid In Multiplayer Games
Backer
I totally agree with this (I have over 400 hours on War Thunder, know what you are talking about) The devs should not make it so things disappear on low graphics settings, just make the grass and rocks, etc, very low textured, so potatoes can run it. Personally i have a very powerful PC, so i can run anything maxed out, but i understand how frustrating it can be to not be able to play a game because your pc is too weak, so yes, the devs should have some support for low end machines, but don't do it to the point where it becomes cheaty.

MrMoose

Real talk
Backer
Shrink the textures down as low as they'll go, but anything that could give players an advantage (including smaller/less particle effects) is where the line should be drawn. Similarly, not rendering grass that is far away makes players stick out like a sore thumb - See DayZ.
I honestly wouldn't mind if the grass looked like shit as long as it can conceal someone, and renders at a distance.

That WarZ screenshot is abominable. Devs showing a complete lack of regard for gameplay or fairness, 'optimizing' the game in the simplest way possible. That game has a lot of good samples of what not to do.

Last edited:

iR4DzZ

Backer
This could be a problem as the players who has low pcs or can't play on high settings are able to see the other players who are playing on ultra or high settings, BUT there's a solution, u can make the brush quality worse without removing it, or add less details to the brush, nothing should be removed whatever the case unless it's useless or cause problems, as i said u could just make the quality worse or the details are less and will work fine i think :3

Vookem

Zombies don't like cheese....
Backer
Yeah I got a lowish end computer myself. I play dayz mods on very low setting and get mabe 15-30 fps depending on which server/how many people are playing on it. I don't want to be able to do what the post says. But if I can't get at least 20ish fps while playing STN, then I will be really pissed off. I mean in the long run once the game is released. I know how alpha/beta's are cause I played a stress test build of Armored Warfare and coluldn't get 15fps lol. I plan on building my own computer, but that will be at the end of the year if everything works out:)

Castillo

Survivor
Backer
I'm sure the developers have this issue in mind. That's likely why they're working on the game's optimization for all sorts of computers. Like they said, not everyone has a high specced computer.

Vookem

Zombies don't like cheese....
Backer
Well, armored warfare uses the cryengine which is, not rly the best one for performance.
But you could test some other unity 5 games and see how they work out, because as far as i know unity is a very low spec friendly engine if you do it right[/QUOTE]

I hope so. If this ends up like that then I can wait a while longer to get a new computer:)

Status
Not open for further replies.