• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Acoustics for VON/Game audio?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter #1

AnimeNinjaVN

『HentaiNinjaVN』 The evil counterpart of me.
Backer
Since this is my first thread on this forum and I'm inexperienced , I will be brief.
Will there be any game mechanic or system for the simulation of sound physics. If so?
An example would be, you and another player would be talking inside a house. And
there is someone lurking outside. They would only hear muffled voices beyond the walls
of the house. Maybe even add echos and sounds reverberating off walls .Zombies should
be attracted to the sources of VON too. Would create new tactics for looting and PVP.
Players would use sound to bait players or zombies for a situational advantage.

Crazypineapple55

The Official Bus Driver
Backer
I am a fan of this idea being in the game, and enjoy the immersion that comes from games that use this system of communication. I don't like hearing someones voice that is far away but it sounds like they are 3 inches from my ear. This is a good suggestion!

Minor Mayhem

Backer
Not sure about the environmental effects on the VON being possible, but the proximity based VON is already being used in the ARMA series of titles, and of course by extension, in all the zombie survival mods on that game. It is a range based zone around a player within which their voice is audible. So in those games on the "Direct Comms" Channel, anything you say is audible within like 30 meters of you. It also seems that volume is somewhat dependant on range in those games. This is a great thing as when you hear someone talking you KNOW you are close to them, and this gives you a little extra situational awareness, and of course it means only people in proximity are heard so you don't hear everyone in the server all the time. Of course something else the game should have is carefully crafted sound so you can actually hear someone walking if you are being still and quiet, and this is something that seems to be hard to do on mp games as most of the time you never hear anyone walking up behind you and you are sudenly dead from an axe strike or the like. It should be HARD to sneak up on someone in a forest with twigs and leaves all over the ground, at least if they are being still and quiet. Too many times I have been sitting silently watching one way, only to have someone WALK up behind me and hit me in the head without making any sound.

Thread starter #6

AnimeNinjaVN

Backer
Not sure about the environmental effects on the VON being possible, but the proximity based VON is already being used in the ARMA series of titles, and of course by extension, in all the zombie survival mods on that game. It is a range based zone around a player within which their voice is audible. So in those games on the "Direct Comms" Channel, anything you say is audible within like 30 meters of you. It also seems that volume is somewhat dependant on range in those games. This is a great thing as when you hear someone talking you KNOW you are close to them, and this gives you a little extra situational awareness, and of course it means only people in proximity are heard so you don't hear everyone in the server all the time. Of course something else the game should have is carefully crafted sound so you can actually hear someone walking if you are being still and quiet, and this is something that seems to be hard to do on mp games as most of the time you never hear anyone walking up behind you and you are sudenly dead from an axe strike or the like. It should be HARD to sneak up on someone in a forest with twigs and leaves all over the ground, at least if they are being still and quiet. Too many times I have been sitting silently watching one way, only to have someone WALK up behind me and hit me in the head without making any sound.
I like how you made my suggestion thread even more detailed! Thanks!

Minor Mayhem

Backer
I like how you made my suggestion thread even more detailed! Thanks!
My Pleasure, Your idea would be an awesome addition to the game, and having experienced some of what you said in another game I hoped it would add something to mention it. These sort of things often get skipped over in games and it was great to find your suggestion here. In fact it's the only suggestion so far that has inspired me to reply in the thread.

castroTheMexican

CastroTheMexican
Backer
I love the idea, it would really be useful to lure people out or even distract people, like what if you had a recording and you play it in a different house or in a different room! but i have no idea how they would put this in game

Thread starter #9

AnimeNinjaVN

Backer
I love the idea, it would really be useful to lure people out or even distract people, like what if you had a recording and you play it in a different house or in a different room! but i have no idea how they would put this in game
Thanks ! Your idea also inspires me to suggest for a game item that is like a tape recorder. To leave at places and draw zombies or even people away. Maybe even use them as multiple usage throwables.

Thread starter #10

AnimeNinjaVN

Backer
My Pleasure, Your idea would be an awesome addition to the game, and having experienced some of what you said in another game I hoped it would add something to mention it. These sort of things often get skipped over in games and it was great to find your suggestion here. In fact it's the only suggestion so far that has inspired me to reply in the thread.
I didn't know! Is this idea unique currently in this forum?

Crazypineapple55

The Official Bus Driver
Backer
I didn't know! Is this idea unique currently in this forum?
I could not find anyone that had posted anything about the communication in game (or at least similar to your's). I don't many have thought about that feature as much as more apparent stuff like guns, vehicles, etc. It is a very good thing to bring up and I hope the devs see this and tell us whether its possible or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.