• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Advanced Aluminum Foundry

Aluminum Foundry

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thread starter #1

Iconic_Jellyfish

Backer
I know that there has been post about this already but this one goes a little more in depth with it all. I have wanted to build a foundry for a while and searched on how to do it. but i was thinking that STN could have a super advanced foundry system.

starting foundry items for simple aluminum smelting and casting:
-coal/charcoal (found or mined charcoal made in fireplace, used to melt aluminum)
-blow dryer/air pump with duck tape and metal pipe so blow dryer doesn't over heat(to heat up the coals to melt aluminum)
-foundry sand measured by metric or standard weight A.K.A green sand, caste
sand, etc (to cast the aluminum into car parts,weapon attachments etc.)
-foundry sand box made with wood planks(4) and nails(8) cut at angles with hand saw or electric saw four types small, medium, large, x large (to hold foundry sand to keep cast form and the larger the box the more foundry sand needed and you can use the foundry sand over again)
-tin can/crucible (used to melt the aluminum in)
-crucible tongs (to hold crucible)
-tin cylinder to hold coal/ charcoal in (made or found with a empty propane tank with top cut off also a hole can be dug in the ground as an improvised coal/charcoal holder)
-something to light coals/charcoal on fire matches, lighter etc.

tools:
angle grinder(cut top off propane tank)
electric screw driver (making foundry sand box)
hand saw(cut wood)

i will post another thread about other metal's instead of aluminum, but this is the idea, you first start out by making either a small hole in the ground with a shovel or cutting top of a propane tank off with angle grinder and a hole drilled in the side with a drill so the blow dryer/air pump can push air underneath the coals, that is the basic foundry melting part, then you take the foundry sand box and foundry sand and decide what mold you want to make(so like car parts and weapons weapon attachment attachments etc.) but the bigger the items the bigger the foundry sand box needs to be and the more foundry sand needed, next you get a soup can or you find a crucible and use that to hold the melted aluminum in you can get aluminum from empty soda cans or scrap aluminum laying around or even get it from a broken down car, then you take the tongs in your hands and have the option to pick up the tin can/crucible then you take it to the mold made out of the foundry sand box and foundry sand, different sized boxes means more foundry sand which can be found at maybe a metal working building or at a house in a shed, and there you go wait like a minute for it to cool down and then take it out of the cast.

i will upload images of the 3D models of all the parts so you can get an idea of what i am talking about. let me know thoughts in comments

M_Dawg

Officially Awesome
Backer
This seems more like a specialty item/skill that an NPC should have.

images.jpg

Thread starter #3

Iconic_Jellyfish

Backer
This seems more like a specialty item/skill that an NPC should have.
m_dawg it would be more fun to have to find the stuff to make it so you don't have to walk to an npc house it doesn't have to be this detailed as well it can be dumbed down a little its just a really good idea if you need a car part or something along those lines

BOOMstyx

Backer
it's a cool, well thought out idea, but I just don't seeing it being implemented for one main reason. This would lend itself to a game where you are actually building things/structures. Survive the nights is more of a run around and improvise what you can in the time allotted (the day). That aside, this set up doesn't really sound like it would be effectively portable. Imagine gonig to all the trouble to skill up/get mats/build this thing, only to have someone take over your base/possession of it while you're logged out. Cool idea, but more for a different game, or like someone else said, something that an npc could use.

Thread starter #5

Iconic_Jellyfish

Backer
it's a cool, well thought out idea, but I just don't seeing it being implemented for one main reason. This would lend itself to a game where you are actually building things/structures. Survive the nights is more of a run around and improvise what you can in the time allotted (the day). That aside, this set up doesn't really sound like it would be effectively portable. Imagine gonig to all the trouble to skill up/get mats/build this thing, only to have someone take over your base/possession of it while you're logged out. Cool idea, but more for a different game, or like someone else said, something that an npc could use.
i understand it isn't the most portable thing plus it is hard to find but this is the ways to do it in real life you could obviously make it a little less complex, but you can make one in the ground you dig a hole and put coal in it then do what you need and bury it. the suggestion above is what i would do in IRL of course the devs can simplify it.