• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Advanced Animal AI

Thread starter #1

Sgt. Carlson

Skipping, Killing, whistling.
Backer
There has been few to many games that have a good hunting system! It's become like run in the woods for 1 mins then 360 quickscope a deer from 5 meters away without it as much a flicking its wrist at you. There needs to be animals that are hard to kill, you have to wait and let them come to you and hit them in the right spot, and be able to hear, see smell you before you can just run up and shoot them with a glock.

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
I made a comment a while back commenting on one of the Survive the Podcast episodes, which I'll go ahead and quote here:
My thoughts on AI:
I can't wait to see how AI evolves throughout development for both passive & aggressive AI. I do like the idea of starting with the passive AI first (like game animals) and using that as a baseline to help develop aggressive AI (like zombies).

I do think there should be aggressive animal AI however, not necessarily having the KoS mentality like zombies will but will attack if provoked, and some are provoked more easily than others (hell even deer will attack on rare occasions). Realistically you can't have an ecosystem full of game/prey animals like rabbits, deer, or elk without some kind of predatory animals to keep their numbers in balance (things like wolves, coyotes, bears, even big cats like bobcats or mountain lions).

Animal AI can have varying levels of aggressive/passive behavior. Coyotes for example are generally more skittish/cautious than wolves, but are more prone to attack than say a deer. I'm not saying aggressive animals should be everywhere or in overly large numbers, but I feel like they should be in. Instead of just going out to track game animals to hunt, you'll have to be aware of your surroundings and watch for predatory animals as well (and of course zombies).
*Pulled from page 1 of this thread: http://community.survivethenights.net/threads/survive-the-podcast-episode-2.4863/#post-56240 *

I also just had the thought of having raccoons in the game. They would add an interesting dynamic to the game if you think about it. They are largely nocturnal and are notoriously crafty critters. What if they were put into the game and could potentially find ways into your home to steal food? You'd need to set raccoon traps of some kind around your home and/or make sure there aren't any small entrances into your home to keep them out.

Octanen

Backer
Indeed.

This is a huge must. Hunting!
May it be agressive animals like mentioned (Bears, Bobcats, Wolves) but also Deer, Racoon, Fox, Rabbit and so on.
I usually tend to play a lonewolf-survivor type in these games. Avoid cities, live in the forrest and what not.
Heck would be nice to even breed chickens :)

So yeah, simple wood made traps and what not might be handy to be able to set up and craft. So you won't need to run out and point the blam-blam on anything you see moving, but simply do "passive hunting".

I like the idea Monatauk came up with that animals could steal your food, heck might even ruin your fortification a bit or what not.
Would be also nice to see how and if possible for the engine to handle all that processing of all the ideas we all suggest on the forums :)

Norton

that guy who does things with sfm
Backer
I like the idea of good Animal A.I.
Hunting in games tends to be quite tedious from perspective, it never really feels polished in most games and generally (In my opinion) feels underdeveloped.

The concept of animal traps as well is quite interesting as well, like making your own instead of a prebuilt one.
That could actually also be a game mechanic, when you find a book about wildlife and read it, your understanding of how animals act in certain situations increases and you know how to take the appropriate response to such.

Now, if we were to encounter an animal, I'd prefer them to react to different calibers of bullets in various ways.
I'm sure you get where I'm going...

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
I agree with the thought of advanced/smart animal A.I both predatory and passive, too many titles where the animals are just another resource. I would like to see the animals migrate, breed, hunt/forage and flee from danger along with what @Norton said about the player learning their behavior and also the ability to track the animals, which would all be different depending on what season as well.
Now, if we were to encounter an animal, I'd prefer them to react to different calibers of bullets in various ways.
I'm sure you get where I'm going...
I think I get it, do you mean depending on the caliber/weapon used to kill depends on whether or not you damage the pelt/ruin your dinner?
Like shooting a rabbit with buckshot :D

Norton

that guy who does things with sfm
Backer
I agree with the thought of advanced/smart animal A.I both predatory and passive, too many titles where the animals are just another resource. I would like to see the animals migrate, breed, hunt/forage and flee from danger along with what @Norton said about the player learning their behavior and also the ability to track the animals, which would all be different depending on what season as well.

I think I get it, do you mean depending on the caliber/weapon used to kill depends on whether or not you damage the pelt/ruin your dinner?
Like shooting a rabbit with buckshot :D
Yes, precisely.

Orlblazin

AlwayzBlazin!!
Backer
Personally, I would like that the game is very difficult to slaughter.
A hurt animal lets in his running drag tasks of blood.
The predators should be able to short-circuit us, to waylay for us, and to attack us meute.
I would like to be in security which in my repère.
I imagine a snake hidden in the herbes high, waiting for the passage of a poor person.
If the area of the card of game allows it, I would like to see migrations of animals according to seasons, I shall kill a bird put down on a branch.
You imagine spirit to play fright this game in the belly? The danger which comes from zombies, from animals, from players, hunger the thirst because rare commodities, almost Only hunt the peach and agriculture on the condition of having what is needed to survive.

Personnellement,j'aimerais que le gibier soit très difficile à abattre.
Un animal blessé laisse dans sa course traîner des tâches de sang.

Les prédateurs devraient être en mesure de nous contourner,nous guetter,et nous attaquer en meute.

j'aimerais n'être en sécurité que dans mon repère.

j'imagine un serpent tapi dans les hautes herbes,attendant le passage d'un malheureux.

Si la superficie de la carte du jeu le permet,j'aimerais voir des migrations d'animaux selon les saisons,
Pouvoir tuer un oiseau posé sur une branche.

Vous vous imaginez entrain de jouer à ce jeu la peur au ventre?
Le danger qui vient des zombies,des animaux,des joueurs,la faim la soif car denrées rare,
presque Seulement la chasse la pêche et agriculture à condition d'avoir ce qu'il faut pour survivre.

Octanen

Backer
All good ideas. I love em. But yeah, lets see what they can pull off, since im guessing there has to be some limits to what Unity can handle of processing power for various scripts or what it may be.

But i sure as heck hope for the best, I mean come on... hunting is like a huge must ;)