• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Airport and planes

Thread starter #1

Bartrick

---
Backer
If you could walk into a airport finding cloth in every bag, and clothing. It would be easy right? well yes but not with the zombies all around. Everyone knows airports and busy no matter what, so it wouldn't make sense if nothing was their. But the owners can figure out what to do with the airport. (hopefully they get what im saying about airports) and about the planes, Planes can be found almost anywhere, but you cant drive it. You can explore. You will find tons of huge planes you go on if you were going somewhere, but why not have planes in the middle of no where or just random. You can find crashed planes anywhere (if lucky) I say that because these planes are huge to notice so it would be to easy. planes don't go up for 5 seconds and then crash, and that's why it would be to easy. and another reason of how it would be to easy, their is tons of cloth/clothing/food/ and in the front of the plane you can find wires/buttons (you can pull out buttons and make them into a trap by pressing) and etc. *also just inmagin someone driving that?*

Bouncer

Deep Thinker
Backer
crashed plane with a survival kit, then insert the "Hatchet" novel there

Tools

I would imagine this game would have an extremely small airport with planes that literally carry nothing but a few passengers and a bag or so sense its an island and all. Not like there would be 747s and large passenger planes here. They don't seem to be looking at adding a Large city in the game and you need a large population and city to support a big airport. Now a port of some sorta would be different. I could see ferrys and small freighters coming to the island.

Larger planes could crash on the island but I doubt there would be any out there, there would be nowhere to land it so why go there.

Burr Worntusk

The Cone Worrier
Backer
Well, seeing as I typed STN in to search engine tonight to bring me here (yeah, lazy but forgot to sticky the address) and all I got for many many results was Stansted Airport, perhaps if we do find one on the island it could be modelled on that? I like the idea that we could ransack an airport for supplies wary of course of the entire terminal full of recently risen, with baggage carousels still running, departure boards saying 'delayed' yet some saying 'boarding' etc would make it pretty eerie, that connection back to the 'before' days.

Burr Worntusk

The Cone Worrier
Backer
I dont think there would be any signs saying delayed or boarding because its post apocolyptic and theres no more power probably..
Ah! But there would. The click-over signs in an airport terminal when powered can turn to new messages, when un-powered remain on their last setting/message, bit like a Kindle. Anyways, there'd no longer be anyone to check my bag or passport and the duty free would be totally free ;)

Davz Not Here

Backer
i was asked to move this suggestion from http://www.community.survivethenights.net/threads/airdrops.2944/page-2#post-28409

to here
-----------------------------------------
Plane Crashes

first ..... let us assume the following:
  • there will be more islands
  • islands will vary in size

ok using just the first island (and a similar ship wreck idea) as the example

ghost ships:
  • 3x "ghost ships", no more, at widely varied times e.g. 1x on day 10, 1x day 36, 1x day 55
  • ships can run ashore, snag on coral, hit a dock or other boat, and even sink (scenario dependent)
  • ships have zeds on them
  • ships have one time, no re-spawn loot on it
  • sections of the ship can be scrounged for materials.
  • ship can be fortified and is treated as any other structure after 'the event'

and i think this applies to planes / plane crashes like this:
  • see ghost ships, rinse, and repeat
..... as far as a plane (or 3) actually crashing into the island ..... this gets into a whole other set of physics and mechanics ..... at least compared to adrift boats running-a-ground

trees and possibly buildings being destroyed as they are cast aside like little match sticks, as the flaming fuselage barrels in a cockeyed skid along the country side ......
digging a rut, setting fires, throwing debris every which way ..... and then the landscape is permanently deranged

i think we all know it can be done ..... it's a question of how much work it's going to take and how much that helps strike a balance ..... it certainly adds a really nice 'event' for those who happen to be online and see it happening. Certainly the kind of thing that when you first heard the noise in game you'd run outside to see what was happening ..... and certainly say 'wow' when you saw plane coming in ..... and seeing it crashing into the island

the islands of varying size can have only 1 boat or plane if small (or none), or 5 if it's a huge island

Last edited:

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
The dev's said they don't want working planes but seeing a dynamic plane crash would be really cool for a loot spawn, but weather it is a dynamic or static crash I would really like to see non working planes in game to see them used as small shelter's. The really small planes could be used to get out of the elements and hide yourself but wouldn't provide any protection from attack. You could also turn the wreckage of larger planes into more fortified shelters with a bit more space.

This plane is really wrecked but as you can see you could put a tarp or metal siding in front of the hole for a door and you could make a small fire or place a small survival stove down with two people crouching inside maybe three.

odinfan1

shhh im hunting zombies
Backer
I like the idea of air ports even small private air strips would have use full applications. Most if not all air strips have a radio tower and larger strips would have tools and resources on hand. They would also be surrounded with hordes of undead. The attempt of raiding one would be high risk high reward.

Michael Jones

Backer
Having a small airstrip made of a few small hangers and a dirt runway would be really cool cosmetically and having some small planes destroyed around the strip or even a plane destroyed on the runway with a skeleton in the front seat would make a great post apocalyptic scene.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
I do like the idea of a derelict airport/airstrip and plane wreckage(s), not too many ofcourse 1 maybe 2.

QuickLoad

ΜЛШ ˢᵗᶰ Sq. Scorpio CO
Backer
I think another cool thing to implement would be plane crashes happening to a present time.
So perhaps, you'd see a cessna flying overhead,and then suddenly entering a dive as it crashes. Attracting undead, and players too!

JoshGaarax3

Backer
I was thinking, what is the scale of this pandemic? is it global was it airborne or was it a subject zero scenario? Basically what I'm trying to get it maybe there was a plane coming over the islands or going to an airport (if any of the islands will have one) and the virus that caused this outbreak also affected the pilots on the plane which in turn caused this airliner to come crashing down. Basically I just want to see a giant plane thats crashed down that we can partially live in or using tools like buzz saws we can rip pieces of metal off or use parts of it for barricading etc.

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
I was thinking, what is the scale of this pandemic? is it global was it airborne or was it a subject zero scenario? Basically what I'm trying to get it maybe there was a plane coming over the islands or going to an airport (if any of the islands will have one) and the virus that caused this outbreak also affected the pilots on the plane which in turn caused this airliner to come crashing down. Basically I just want to see a giant plane thats crashed down that we can partially live in or using tools like buzz saws we can rip pieces of metal off or use parts of it for barricading etc.
A couple of discussions exist that either directly or closely related. Going to merge this thread with one of them but definitely have a look through all of them. :)

http://community.survivethenights.net/threads/airport-and-planes.1162/
http://community.survivethenights.net/threads/airdrops.2944/ (closed topic but a few pages worth of discussion/ideas)
http://community.survivethenights.net/threads/random-events.1175/
http://community.survivethenights.net/threads/helicopter-crashes.5998/