• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Alpha Trailer Feedback

Thread starter #1

Bearnch

Grizzly Survivor
Backer
Hi all,

With the release of the alpha trailer now upon us I think we should dedicate a thread to sharing things we may have noticed within the trailer that others may not have and tell a2z what we did and didnt like.

Please keep it constructive.

Thread starter #3

Bearnch

Grizzly Survivor
Backer
One thing I noticed was the flicking of light switches had some sort of use timer. a line appeared around the crosshair and completed a circle before the light was activated. If it is what I think it is then I'm not sure I'm a fan of spending a second to flick on a light, for me, it would be ideal to have the flicking of light switches be instant.

ld-airgrafix

Survivor
Backer
Free placement, i hope this applies to window boarding, imagine the possibilities, leaving enough room for sniping, but having full protection.
Seasons, i hope winter is brutal, no hunting game no farming, bad preparation, means death. The only game to have this is my beloved PZ. Stn make this a reality. It might suck for new players, but i want to put hours into playing this game for what it is, a survival game, and i want to be rewarded for it by having an advantage over players who come for "pew, pew, bang, bang".

Thread starter #5

Bearnch

Grizzly Survivor
Backer
Yes, I love the physics of world objects. The placing of the fire-cooking grill and items on shelves looks amazing.

Zombie animations looked kinda stiff but I guess that's because it's in alpha, I'm not sure why but I was expecting the zombie sound effects to be unique but they just sound like any other zombie game's zombies but I guess it can't be helped unless we were able to create zombies in the real world and come up with some accurate sound effects :)

I liked the animations in the gameplay demonstrations in the old engine, they were all smooth and nice. Perhaps to be achieved in the new engine with time?

Templar

Survivor
Backer
I love what I've seen so far from the Alpha trailer. Same good looking user interface that I've seen in videos from the older builds, yet with much improved graphics, with a much nicer distinct chunky raw style. Just the way I like it. The physics also seem to be working great, and look great, judging from the pan at the table placement. Amazing you guys managed to get this in the game.

Zombies, looking great too.

About the zombies though, one of the most important aspects in my opinion, I got some constructive things to add. (I can't know ofcourse if these things are on the schedule or not)

Please A2z, in order to make this game distinctive from all other zombie games out there, make the zombie sounds distinctive and unique. Don't neccessarily make them have only this 1 high pitched tone as they have in alot of modern zombie movies and games. It really gets boring after a while. Make them moan alot, like in the Dawn of the dead 1978 movie. Like in the videogame called ''Zombie Panic: Source'' (an old free source mod still played to today), and like in the Dawn of the dead 2004 remake movie. Don't just let the zombies have these high pitched tones. Make lots of unique sounds, also for if the zombies are just shambling, wandering and idling, to give them that haunting apocalyptic moan!

Next up, you've mentioned zombies are docile at daytime. Please still make them hostile even though they are docile at day time. Not that they have to speed and run towards you like at night, but make them notice you, and slowly but steady shamble towards you trying to get you. It will add to the horror, the depth, the sense of tension that keeps a player clustered to his computer screen. Make it that as they form a group bigger and bigger at daytime while slowly shambling towards you, they start shambling a bit faster, as if they share a mental energy when together in a group. Make them scary, by giving them personality. Give them personality, make them unique! Oh and give them a fine touch of ragdolling physics and gore and dismembering when driving them over. :D Make the player able to drive over the zombies if possible! Also some dismemberment and gore while shooting them is always nice and a big plus! Also, I've heard this discussion before, but consider them to actually feed, and eat on their human preys. That way the horror picture will be complete. I know this is a disputed point and not in the schedule perhaps but I still ask you to (re-)consider this, or adding some sort of cannibalistic zombie aspect to STN like we know it from the famous zombie movies! It will boost the tension and horror immensely. People love gore and are frightened by it at the same time!

Ofcourse the animations are still a bit crude but that's understandable, it is early stage alpha after all, ofcourse you guys know this.

I'm really, really glad what I've seen so far!!!! Keep it up!!

Edit: make it that the zombies are able to be driven over, if only for 1 or 2 zombies before the car jams, to keep it realistic!

Last edited:

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
Love the trailer. My comments below not only reflect my thoughts about the trailer, but also the mechanics shown in general.

I do agree with what @Bearnch said about flicking the light switches. It really only takes a very small fraction of a second (near instantaneous) to flip a switch. I think the delay should at the very least be reduced, and the circular timer removed altogether (at least for light switches, and other near instantaneous actions). I could live with a subtle delay if that can't be avoided.

@JB_ who took the shot at the deer? That looked to be a heart shot, or at the very least a lung shot very close to the heart. Nice shooting!

I LOVE the shotgun trap physics after it fires, definitely adds to the realism! I hope we'll have an option to nail them down (provided we have time to do so) or stake them to the ground if outside. Then they could be tweaked like so; if they're not secured down in some way then they do less damage (since a good portion of the energy is lost), and increased (normal) damage if it is secured.

I kinda wish the tree foliage didn't fade away so quickly after felling a tree. I almost wish the foliage didn't fade at all so you could use felled trees as soft cover if you wanted, but then I think the mechanics to remove the foliage may be cumbersome (or perhaps not, just less realistic, say remove a log section of foliage at a time with a few swings, or is included with the act of chopping the tree up into logs). Either way, I think the foliage disappears a bit too quickly.

The stove top should have red circles that gradually get brighter when turned on, and gradually fade with turned off. That would be great!

I'm kinda glad you've done away with the flickering effect of fire. While it was nice, it was a bit much (and probably a pain to really nail down the right frequency/intensity). Also The fire effects in general look great, and those explosions...well done! The zombies on fire effect was great too.

All around a fantastic trailer!

Templar

Survivor
Backer
Also I want to add! Really to consider:

Have somes areas have only walking zombies, even at night, and have some areas having only running zombies at night. That way people in both camps will be happy!

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
Also I want to add! Really to consider:

Have somes areas have only walking zombies, even at night, and have some areas having only running zombies at night. That way people in both camps will be happy!
I think a simpler resolution would be to make it a server option. We do want zombies to wander after all!

Thread starter #11

Bearnch

Grizzly Survivor
Backer
Excellent points, @Montauk,
Now that you've mentioned then I realise how great they would be if they were implemented. I love the zombies-on-fire effect, (not old enough to compare it to some 1970's movie) it reminds me of half-life 2 when the zombies wold catch fire but keep on shambling towards you, screaming.

Another thing, @a2z(Interactive); in the trailer when the deer is hunted I saw that you've got the full-screen scope style.
Now I don't know how hard it would be to add but I think for a game such as STN, the more realistic scope-style seen in games like Insurgency (actually looking down the scope instead of whole vision becoming the scope) would suit it better than what is currently in.

It may be too late to change that, perhaps.

I was surprised all the zombies had similar walking animations, was hoping each one would have different walking styles. But for time sake i can see why they chose with just one walking animation. I was also surprised no one drive through the hoard which is weird. Maybe they didn't had hit detection on. Oh not really important but i notice the smoke trail from the rv was a bit off. One last thing was that i was hoping the pistol animation would look different this time around, it looks funny seeing those two guys shooting their pistols with their one arm.

Thread starter #13

Bearnch

Grizzly Survivor
Backer
One of the bigger things that got me excited about the old-engine STN was the trailers (vehicle trailers). They had storage and other functions, there was even a towable floodlight which looked really cool.

We didn't see any of these in the recent trailer and I was wondering if or when they would make an appearance.

On the note of trailers, I feel that a small, light dinghy-type boat would fit well in STN with a sputtering engine and low profile. It could also be paired with a boat trailer for transport across land. It would also work well with the in progress fishing system, put in the tackle box and head out to the local lake for a fish. Fish could be stored in the boat like the deer is stored in the ute.

Last edited:

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
One of the bigger things that got me excited about the old-engine STN was the trailers (vehicle trailers). They had storage and other functions, there was even a towable floodlight which looked really cool.

We didn't see any of these in the recent trailer and I was wondering if or when they would make an appearance.

On the note of trailers, I feel that a small, light dinghy-type boat would fit well in STN with a sputtering engine and low profile. It could also be paired with a boat trailer for transport across land.
If those things aren't included in the alpha then I'm sure they will be at some point in the future (or at the very least be heavily worked on and attempted). Although the alpha will be much more substantial than the pre-alpha builds, it will still be very 'bare bones' compared to the 'final' vision for the game.

Many of the content/features introduced to us with the upcoming alpha build will still be in their infancy, rough, buggy, unbalanced or outright broken. Although it's taken a while to get to this point, I still plan on viewing most of the content/features as placeholders if you will, and expect them to change & evolve or even be completely overhauled or removed (temporarily or indefinitely). The same goes for features/content that doesn't make it into the initial alpha build, rinse/repeat.

GraviticPulse

Inmate
Backer
I really liked the trailer.

I found it showed a lot of gameplay and what is to come.

Only thing I would like for the devs to improve on is the animation THAT I think they certainly will. Afterall this game is only in alpha.

But overall, great job to the devs! :D

ld-airgrafix

Survivor
Backer
It will be interesting to see how free item placement works, since there isnt a traditional storage inventory, will items stay persistent or get deleted on server restarts?

Just came from youtube and its upseting reading some of those comments. Mostly complaining about animations. Today people only see negatives, if half of what we seen makes it into alpha release, this game still has more content than most AAA zombie survival games.

Reynevan

Backer
The only thing I wish they got sorted out are animations. I know that it's alpha and I understand the concept of early access but it's gonna scare away so many people afraid of another WarZ-level fiasco.

Templar

Survivor
Backer
My advice to the developers: Don't put too much emphasis on aspects that are not on your regular schedule. Just because some people are having opinions on the animations doesn't mean you should put your concentration on that, as in the meantime that concentration is needed elsewhere to continue on building the game. I'd much rather have a complete and full game with bad animations, then an empty game with perfect animations.

Just do you, and everything will be fine devs! You guys are awesome! Keep it up!:)

Last edited:
Thread starter #19

Bearnch

Grizzly Survivor
Backer
My advice to the developers: Don't put too much emphasize on aspects that are not on your regular schedule. Just because some people are having opinions on the animations doesn't mean you should put your concentration on that, while that concentration is needed elsewhere to continue on building the game. I'd much rather have a complete and full game with bad animations, then an empty game with perfect animations.

Just do you, and everything will be fine, devs! You guys are awesome!
^^^

RickGrimesdd

Survivor
Backer
The only thing I wish they got sorted out are animations. I know that it's alpha and I understand the concept of early access but it's gonna scare away so many people afraid of another WarZ-level fiasco.
I don't think it will. The mechanics of the game is what a lot of people want. The animation will come along as we go. What other game has seasons, mental health, this will be a real survival game. I already want to see how long I can live without dying. lol I can't wait to test the mental health aspect to.