• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Alternative world interaction method, dual mouses trackball

Thread starter #1

DZS

Survivor
Backer
Thought i'd throw this out there see if anyone likes the idea.

By adding a option under game settings it is possible to use the mouse to click on items near the player using a mouse pointer instead of movement perhaps toggled by keyboard button or mouse button. This could allow for greater depth in world interaction and items offering the possibility of more player options. For example a light switch with a dimmer, the dimmer can now be moved manually to set the light level precisely which in turn could result in lower power consumption. Or perhaps moving items in the world can now be done using merely a mouse drag and drop style. Right clicking devices such as an electric kettle offers more options than on/off, weapons can have greater depth like dragging and dropping mods from your inventory directly onto the weapon in a modular way or precisely loading ammo into magazines, chambers. Move rounds via drag and drop into gun ammo compartments. What im thinking is a 2d drawing/diagram representing a magazine or chamber where you move an ammo icon to, each move represents a single round double or tripling up the amount of rounds moved with a single click setting via right click on the mouse when pointing at ammo in the inventory. A menu pops up. As the round setting is changed the icon changes to show greater amounts of ammo being moved. Its along the lines of an OS, ive seen games before that have a sort of mini OS built in.

Alternative control mechanisms, a two mouse system or trackball support would work. Dunno quite how dual mouses can work independently in my experience they both work together must be possible somehow. Trackball seems much better idea for item and world interaction. This is really extra not needed at all to play the game just offers a richer play experience for those that like deep game play.

Another idea is joystick support as is head tracking.

Last edited:

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Well let's start with mice. In my experience, if a Windows machine see's a mouse, it's a mouse. Plug in more, they all do the same thing. Yes, I've had three plugged in at once, and each performs the basic up/down/left/right/clicks and scroll wheel functions. It's what Windows knows, and what it supports. To get extra functionality, you need software for your mouse. My most overly complex mouse has 10 buttons (each with two pressure levels), a scroll wheel with two pressure levels, an OLED display and a free space tilt option, so you can rock it forward/back/left/right for more control options. It's the only way I can see to get more functionality from a mouse or keyboard in the game - using macro facilities provided by third party software providers.

But if there were a few more button assignments in STN that were context sensitive, then using macros to re-map these keys might work well.

I used to use a trackball instead of a mouse, but it worked by rewriting the mouse.com system file, so doesn't work passed Windows 7. It was great, like playing the old 'missile command' game from the 1980s.

But two mice? I'm a bit old school when it comes to playing - left hand on WSAD, right hand on the mouse. I have dabbled with writing the code for a free-space joystick (no manufacture names, but I am a registered developer!). Six degrees of pointer movement, 29 dual function buttons and an LCD display. I sort of gave up. I can manage with a keyboard and mouse with macro functions.

Looking at joystick support and head tracking, I come up with the same conclusion. Software remapping. But being able to look round (I might get banned from the forum for saying like you can in DayZ, here) would be nice to see.

Thread starter #3

DZS

Survivor
Backer
lol why would they ban you for that considering how some of the mods talk to one another haha. Vulgar language away just use it constructively :p I swear 'pun not intended' its possible to use dual mouses independently but it'd need some 3rd party tool. What i was thinking is for having a UI mouse pointer controlled by a seperate mouse, its probably overcomplicating it and really all it'd need is a keyboard button toggle or mouse button toggle. A track ball support for mouse control could be of quite alot of interest to a number of people i could imagine. Also i think of dual LCD/LED support for the map giving real time map coordinates once the compass has been found.

Last edited:

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
I think it's a question about hands. And possibly about desk space.
I've only got two hands and limited desk space.
A means to look around might still be best accomplished with extra key definitions in the game you could remap with third party controller software. My thoughts.
We need to remember STN needs to get the 'bums on the seats' with people buying the game to keep going. That means getting the game to work for most people, not the crazy nerds like us with huge gaming rigs, multiple monitors and all the rest of it. It's a bit too niche of a market sector to aim for to keep @a2z(Interactive); going.

Thread starter #5

DZS

Survivor
Backer
I think it's a question about hands. And possibly about desk space.
I've only got two hands and limited desk space.
A means to look around might still be best accomplished with extra key definitions in the game you could remap with third party controller software. My thoughts.
We need to remember STN needs to get the 'bums on the seats' with people buying the game to keep going. That means getting the game to work for most people, not the crazy nerds like us with huge gaming rigs, multiple monitors and all the rest of it. It's a bit too niche of a market sector to aim for to keep @a2z(Interactive); going.
True. I didn't mean for them to look at implementing support early on more like if they get time features even post release stuff. I know the whole conundrum of limited deskspace lol, spent enough years helping out with testing in Starcitizen. Was many good posts about crazy controller setups with more buttons and configs than you could throw a stick at. Im a sucker for deep complexed gameplay and immersion.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Perhaps this topic goes 'deeper down the rabbit hole' than either of us first thought?
Can we both believe six impossible things before breakfast?
I can give you at least three:
We've a playable game
It's rather good
The community is superb

Now what more can we do as a community to drive the game forward?