• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Animals & Hunting

Thread starter #1
this was originally written by me for dayz but no longer have faith in their design .
im sure a lot of this has been suggested already . hunting is a complicated process with a lot of factors to take into consideration so my hope is this will serve as a high level overview of relevant considerations to possibly chose from .

ANIMALS & HUNTING

habitats / territories / feeding habits / behavior

food chain :

humans
bear
wolf , dog's
elk , deer , cow
rabbit & other small birds & mammals

behavior of predators & prey -
actions 1 - wonder / graze - feed , drink , sleep
actions 2 - alert scan / stalk , stand ground , search , attack / defend (or) retreat .

factors :
tracks , game trails , scat sign , grazing or feeding sign , feeding grounds , watering holes ,
bedding areas = times & routs
roaming territory / hunting territory & migration patterns =
maximum distance from bedding area / pack / deen or heard
animal sign = poop* / scat - flies / chewed branches or grass* / carcass (carcass dragged away leaves blood trail)
wind direction = direction sent travails & how far

more on predator behavior -
wolves will usually not attack on sight unless provoked cornered or starving , but are attracted to fresh kills or blood - including fish guts . running is considered a provoking act .
wild dog / dog's = are usually more likely to attack on sight .
elk & deer will watch from a distance but anything to close & they will run .
cows are domesticated even free range cattle are not deterred by human presence & are sometimes stubborn . ever try to get one out of your way in the middle of the road haha .

animal parts = meat , hide , bone & "gland's" ( urine or lures ) "which ever you prefer" act as attractants & deterrents = lures , baits , scents
origins are edible but omitted - moose hart has the richest flavors i have ever tasted , you have no idea what your missing !

lures - can be bottled & used for :
attracting same species
attracting natural predators
repealing other animals & predators
used on items or surrounding area (depending on what ur looking to accomplish)
obtained after a fresh kill or sedated animal
stored in jars

bait - is another attractant :
human food
natural foods = nuts & berries , fruit , wild flowers , carcass , fish guts , salt lick
traps should be cleaned of all human scent & keep handling with bare hands to a minimum !
animal calls = item / certain times of year - mating season / the rut

scents -
masking human odors making animals less suspicious of player presence (or tracking you !) allowing players to be closer or undetected .
masking consists of (but not limited to) earth Scent's *like dirt , pine , cedar, or even crushed nuts etc.
these masks should be utilized on traps intended for animals as the slightest foreign sent will deter your pray .

sound -
some animals are highly skittish to sound . the sound of a truck approaching will send elk off 10 miles or more ,
while deer may just go around the next foot hill . if bending down a loud sound will cause them to poke their heads up over tall grass & brush exposing themselves .

remember animals tend to be highly suspicious of humans and our foreign sounds & sents hence the phrase *wild animals .

Fallen Angel

Backer
You have written a nice shortened overview there MayHeM. I know there are some professional hunters in the community who could add the one thing or another to this and many things of this would fit into the main motto of the game "surviving", too.

But one important thing is missing: "Zombies" :)
everyone fears them and in some zombies fictions zombies are even eating animals too... but I guess the system here is very complex and I don't know if the five people of the developer team could have that much time and ressources to make that complex system into the game, even it would be incredible realistic. Maybe it could be a "maybe in the future" system?

Bhikshu

Backer
That would be amazing. Funny thought; a zombie game could have a more realistic hunting system then games made for hunters....

WasabiKicks91

Backer
Definitely a good idea. Even hunting squirrels can turn into a 4 hour excursion turning up ONE. And a lot of work goes into the prep and the yield of meat varies between quarry. If done well this would be a fantastic game feature

Ravaherpo

Backer
i like it all,but like fallen angel said,zombies need to be considered when making the whole hunting thing. in the videos it shows the zombies coming to eat them. so maybe you could find a random dead body of a deer and have to guess if it has been infected by a zombie or not.other than that i really love the idea!

Boomerix

You shoot it, you eat it.....no exceptions....
i like it all,but like fallen angel said,zombies need to be considered when making the whole hunting thing. in the videos it shows the zombies coming to eat them. so maybe you could find a random dead body of a deer and have to guess if it has been infected by a zombie or not.other than that i really love the idea!
Keep in mind that a zombie is just a walking corpse, killing an animal relies on tracking, waiting, stealth, ambush and trapping. Most animals won't have any trouble escaping a zombie unless it is cornered and swamped by a horde. Also, it has been many millenniums since humans where scavengers, if the average John Does finds a dead animal nowadays, my advice would be not to eat it......