• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

AoE Looting?

Thread starter #1

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
I'm curious if AoE looting will be in the implemented in the game. Many other games, RPGs and survival games alike, have AoE looting functions. It's really commonplace anymore in most games. Please don't confuse this with a "loot all" function, although that would be nice to have as well.

An example of AoE looting is you've just killed 3-4 zombies all of which are in very close proximity to each other. You go to loot one, and the loot shows from all the zombie corpses at once, provided you are close enough to all of them. This is also helpful when other containers are in close proximity to each other, such as a row of file cabinets in an office, or several cabinet sections in a kitchen. Even when multiple container types are in close proximity.

While this does take away from realism slightly it makes things just a little bit easier. I do rather like the way Arma 3 handles AoE looting. For example, when you open a container, any other containers in the immediate area show in the loot list. However, the contents of the other containers don't show up until you click on that container in the loot window. This makes looting multiple containers a little easier while also keeping a little more of the realism.

Thoughts?

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
In the other games that have this i.e ProjectZ, DayZ, 7DTD and H1Z1 they all have their own atmosphere and this mechanic doesn't seem take anything away from it, So game-play wise it's convenient yet you can keep the realism wanted for this title if it's used right and maybe tweaked...

The only thing I can think of about looting in proximity is that if an item is in a container it would take maybe a second slower to grab (fumbling around/objects in the way) than it would if you where to get an item right in front of you on a table, counter or off the floor... but that is just my quick thought about this maybe with more talking and thinking we could make it better :D

Thread starter #3

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
Interesting thought with it taking slightly longer. Maybe even a little louder, as you're fumbling through stuff vs directly accessing each specific container?

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
Interesting thought with it taking slightly longer. Maybe even a little louder, as you're fumbling through stuff vs directly accessing each specific container?
See with great input you get great output :D

With you saying noise that made me think that mentality could have an effect on proximity looting aswell, say your panicking you may have more chance to drop the item taking it out the container.

Sam00197

Sam '00197' Monahan
Backer
Or if your going insane from player killing you fumble and drop things on occasion and make ALOT of noise

Thread starter #6

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
See with great input you get great output :D

With you saying noise that made me think that mentality could have an effect on proximity looting aswell, say your panicking you may have more chance to drop the item taking it out the container.
Collective intelligence at work. :p

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
Collective intelligence at work. :p
That's a scary thought...

This may be a different topic but I guess it goes with this... crafting with items in your proximity but maybe only items that are not in a container, unless your looking in the container.

Brandon.P

The Marksman
Backer
Well the issue with that I see is, someone can simply go up to container(s) and loot them all while they are being chased or someone is trying to hunt them down in a quick amount of time. In Rust you can only loot 1 container at a time. To make it fair I would stick with the single containers. Proximity could get confusing at times.

KINGQUES

LEAN GOD
Backer
And it would alter the gameplay, if you get into a room to loot 1 container (you would have even a bigger "surprise" if you look in to a crate and you ´ll find your "desired" item. And if this item is for example a shotgun and there is no ammo in the container, you will have less time to grab the ammo that is maybe in another container (next to caontainer 1), so you have to leave if an enemy comes close to the house (like zeds or you will hear shots). I like the overview to manage the items with AoE, but it is a less realistic than looting 1 container at the time imo (maybe a bad example but to get the thought that i have in mind: comparison between the loot systems in Dayzmod vs DayzSA)

Thread starter #10

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
Well the issue with that I see is, someone can simply go up to container(s) and loot them all while they are being chased or someone is trying to hunt them down in a quick amount of time. In Rust you can only loot 1 container at a time. To make it fair I would stick with the single containers. Proximity could get confusing at times.
Well my thinking is, there is a countdown timer, like most other games in this genre, that represent you searching the said container until the loot interface pops up. Different types of containers are more difficult to search, for example a car is more difficult to search through than a cabinet. So if you wanted to loot from multiple containers in close proximity, it would take you the total amount of time to AoE loot as it would to search each each container individually. That way you can't really exploit that system if you're being chased down by zombies, wildlife, players, whatever.

With that being said, I can see how it could be confusing. Perhaps a better way to handle it would be to implement AoE looting for only specific container types +ground. For example, "standard world object" containers, like cabinets, cars, dressers, etc... cannot be AoE looted if multiple container types are in close proximity. However, any loot in close proximity in the "open" (on the ground, on top of a table, etc) when looting said container would show in the interface. The other container type would be zombie corpses, because lets face it, those bodies are going to pile up. These container types CAN be AoE looted at once, plus any loot in close proximity in the "open".

AoE looting could be separated from just looting one container at a time, whether it be a separate key all together, a scroll wheel option after initially selecting to loot a container, or however the mechanic would be handled.

Brandon.P

The Marksman
Backer
Well my thinking is, there is a countdown timer, like most other games in this genre, that represent you searching the said container until the loot interface pops up. Different types of containers are more difficult to search, for example a car is more difficult to search through than a cabinet. So if you wanted to loot from multiple containers in close proximity, it would take you the total amount of time to AoE loot as it would to search each each container individually. That way you can't really exploit that system if you're being chased down by zombies, wildlife, players, whatever.

With that being said, I can see how it could be confusing. Perhaps a better way to handle it would be to implement AoE looting for only specific container types +ground. For example, "standard world object" containers, like cabinets, cars, dressers, etc... cannot be AoE looted if multiple container types are in close proximity. However, any loot in close proximity in the "open" (on the ground, on top of a table, etc) when looting said container would show in the interface. The other container type would be zombie corpses, because lets face it, those bodies are going to pile up. These container types CAN be AoE looted at once, plus any loot in close proximity in the "open".

AoE looting could be separated from just looting one container at a time, whether it be a separate key all together, a scroll wheel option after initially selecting to loot a container, or however the mechanic would be handled.
I feel this is a better explanation. Looting system I feel does not have to be so complex, It needs to be reasonable. Worst you could think is when you quickly loot something and you start dropping your loot on the ground as you run.

Alioshia

Backer
AoE looting does seem like a good idea, however there would be need of a mechanic to stop people from looting everything in the area you are in, say you kill a bunch of zombies and go to loot them, somebody else could loot all of them while your running up.
There would need to be something to stop that from happening.

Maybe a claim on contact system, where killing something locks that thing to you until you have looted it or are killed before/during looting.

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
I like realism and a challenge so naturally against this. There's nothing quite like looting one zombie at a time while you soil your pants because you think you saw a glint from the trees. Though, I understand the benefits of it and how it could make the game more enjoyable. So, I suggest that AOE looting should take longer overall than single looting. To give an example, say it takes you three seconds to grab a bottle. Now, you happen upon a fridge and several cabinets with bottles. To loot 4-5 would take you 16-20 seconds instead of 12-15. Imagine the player rolls out their pack and grabs two bottles with one hand. It then takes an extra second or two to place/arrange both bottles in the pack before moving on to the next. With the single bottle case it's just grab - place. Either that or have it where producing your weapon takes a bit longer. Reaching for your pistol will take a little longer if your hands are full.

kpmh2001

Standard Bearer for Failure
Backer
it would probably be the same time because if you looted them 1 at a time you would have to account for the time looking at the different cabinets. either way that seems slightly reasonable, but it doesn't look like there is loot timers.

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
it would probably be the same time because if you looted them 1 at a time you would have to account for the time looking at the different cabinets. either way that seems slightly reasonable, but it doesn't look like there is loot timers.
Likely, but you'd have the advantage of reacting quicker to a threat with looting single cabinets. With multiples you'd be stuck briefly or with the second suggestion, take longer to produce your weapon. Yeah, I was thinking of the H1Z1 mechanics when I posted that. STN could adapt a similar concept or have it be an animation that takes times.