• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Backstab Animation

Would you like to have a backstab animation?

• Total voters
Thread starter #1

Badassbrandon

MilkMan By Day Zombie Slayer By Night
Backer
I think it would be cool to have a backstab animation when you sneak up on a player and knife them in the back.
I have to say when your playing a game and you manage to sneak behind your enemy the one thing i cant stand that ruins the atmosphere is when you try to stab them in the back and it either instakills them with no animation or it takes multiple knives in the back before they fall dead.

Example: Im tending to my indoor garden (awesome idea btw) and I hear someone trying to bash my door in so I sneak through the backdoor/window and I dont want to shoot them with a bow because im garbage at aiming, and I dont want use a gun because thats a waste of ammo and it could alert zombies and his potential posse so I get behind him and assassinate him I personally think that would be the most badass thing ever on your part but the guy dead on the ground will also think your super cool :D

And if you still dont understand I mean like in battlefield knifing is pretty horrible unless you sneak behind them and you get to do an animation.

Last edited:
Moderator #4

strategos2411

Lead Moderator
Lead Mod
Backer
I think it would definetely be better than a standard bladed weapon slash movement.

Crazypineapple55

The Official Bus Driver
Backer
I'm kind of on the fence on this idea. On a realism stand point, yes you would be able to sneak up on someone and probably be able to kill them in one slash/stab. But from a gameplay standpoint, that means any noob with a knife will be able to instantly kill a person just cause they are behind said person.

Example: Noob is walking around a town and come to an intersection and runs into another player. The player sees him and starts get ready to fight but the noob just jumps around and strafes avoiding his hits till he is behind him and then gets and instant kills the player.

In some cases it wouldn't require stealth as long as your behind a person. I don't think I would trust anyone in the game if this was implemented just cause if I turned my back on him just for a second I could be instantly killed. While I am all about realism, I don't they will go overboard on it. If you get shot in the stomach with 1 shot from a pistol you probably wouldn't be able to keep walking. They most likely won't do that for the game though. So I don't know, good suggestion but I can't make a final decision on it.

Moderator #6

strategos2411

Lead Moderator
Lead Mod
Backer
I'm kind of on the fence on this idea. On a realism stand point, yes you would be able to sneak up on someone and probably be able to kill them in one slash/stab. But from a gameplay standpoint, that means any noob with a knife will be able to instantly kill a person just cause they are behind said person.

Example: Noob is walking around a town and come to an intersection and runs into another player. The player sees him and starts get ready to fight but the noob just jumps around and strafes avoiding his hits till he is behind him and then gets and instant kills the player.

In some cases it wouldn't require stealth as long as your behind a person. I don't think I would trust anyone in the game if this was implemented just cause if I turned my back on him just for a second I could be instantly killed.
Hopefully the mental health system would balance this, so everyones not going around stabbing people, if the idea is implemented.

Baby Blender

big man
Backer
Just a couple things that you should consider.

I don't know why people think that knifing someone in the back is an insta-kill. First off, you would have to have a knife that is deep enough, well-sharpened, and that you can weld. You would have to plunge the knife directly between the bones near the vertebrae to 'instantly' kill someone.

In most scenarios, the most realistic situation would be someone would get a flip-knife that they have not practiced with in technique, and would pounce the person, repeatedly jabbing them up and down the targets back spine.

If they added skills, then hell, the instant kill thing would fit nicely, but more realistically, they should add a sort of grab motion and then allow you to click repeatedly to gash the persons spine in several areas.

Thread starter #8

Badassbrandon

Backer
maybe the animation causes a greater loss in mental health because im sure if i killed someone "up close and personal" it would have a greater mental impact on me than shooting someone from a distance that would balance it out a bit, and also in an apocolypse if i met someone and grouped with them i sure as hell wouldnt trust them enough to let them walk behind me cause they say "i got your back" xD

Idk if its just me but i feel that everyone should know to go for the jugular vein I mean animal instinct right?
maybe I just watch too many criminal investigation shows.

Last edited:
Thread starter #10

Badassbrandon

Backer
Or blunt weapons have 50% chance to knockout 50% chance to kill maybe not so beat to hell but like a knock in the back of the head sounds cool I feel that none of the survival open world zombie games are very immersive and adding animations like these would help improve on that. but one step at a time
step 1 get any sort of animation for melee kills from behind
step 2 expand upon different weapons xD

Cookie

Officially Unofficial.
Backer
Just a couple things that you should consider.

I don't know why people think that knifing someone in the back is an insta-kill. First off, you would have to have a knife that is deep enough, well-sharpened, and that you can weld. You would have to plunge the knife directly between the bones near the vertebrae to 'instantly' kill someone.

In most scenarios, the most realistic situation would be someone would get a flip-knife that they have not practiced with in technique, and would pounce the person, repeatedly jabbing them up and down the targets back spine.

If they added skills, then hell, the instant kill thing would fit nicely, but more realistically, they should add a sort of grab motion and then allow you to click repeatedly to gash the persons spine in several areas.
I like this idea.

MrMoose

Real talk
Backer
I'm not too sure, stabbing someone to death is pretty darn challenging. Stabbing someone once or twice wont make them fall dead, they react, they scream, and can be active/mobile for hours if not stabbed enough. I don't like the idea of a sort of "scripted" multiple attack animation/move. If you wanna 'backstab' someone, get out your knife, get behind him, and shank him until he's dead. I don't support an automatic "move" for it.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Now that zed a.i are in and it's going to be possible to sneak around them, how about backstabbing those dumb flesh eaters in the side of the head/back on the neck?

UndeadSwat

Backer
maybe not having it so it doesn't kill em knockout would probably be a better alternative... maybe knocks em out for a min *obviously in real life it would last for hours but gameplay wise i mean* don't know cause the backstab thing doesnt kill em, hurts like hell :p but not kill, that would probably be a slash across the throat. Also if it's that easy to backstab that can be abused greatly by fresh spawns. could be hard to balance.