• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Barge with pics

Barge

• Yes

Votes: 31 91.2%
  • No

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
It would be a super end-game thing, and imagine this with the season system, you'll need to be Storing food, water, firewood and clothes for the seasons, fuel, and self-defense equipment. Trust me, it's not as op as you'd think.

Thread starter #23

RickGrimesdd

Survivor
Backer
It would be a super end-game thing, and imagine this with the season system, you'll need to be Storing food, water, firewood and clothes for the seasons, fuel, and self-defense equipment. Trust me, it's not as op as you'd think.
oh i dont mean you csn leave the island with it. only so far of shore

Moderator #24

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Community Mod
Backer
sigh i know there aint no actual building lol as in building from the cars on the barges shit like that. so my point still stand spend a week loose it in 5 mins waste of time as barges would just become everyones target i mean a 5 min swim to a barge or half ahour walk around land hmmm
You would be much more protected/isolated out on a barge, however to balance, you would be limited on supplies by the amount of storage space and such you would have, forcing players to be very cautious, but have to come to shore for supplies.

On the other hand, on land, you have much easier access to supplies, but potentially more vulnerable to players/zombies.

IMO, there are trade-offs and if any of these barge ideas actually make it in game, then balancing is obviously a must.

I also believe, as mentioned previously, that the materials, time, and dedication it would take to get one of the "houseboats"/barges functional and sustainable would be a hell of a chore to begin with, and to maintain... but would provide a safer way of living if someone chose to. "Late-game" vehicle, so-to-speak.

Thread starter #25

RickGrimesdd

Survivor
Backer
To me it would come pre balanced as you said. Yea relatively safe out at sea. But you would have to come in to gather supplies. The rv would probably be your main mode of transportation. So you could loose either or both. It shouldn't be much harder to get it going than any other vehicle. Maybe a little or as hard as the houseboat there possibly adding. Either way I'm gona have an rv and house boat lol if the barge doesn't get in that's cool. I just really thought it would be cool. Definitely not been done in a game before

woodsy223

Backer
still wouldnt be safe though 5 mins swim and bam you are on there barge, its why no one uses boats in ark the physics and vulnerability cause last i checked all barges have more then 1 emergency point of entree so even hording cars wont help to stop people getting up as you could simply get on the first steps and blow up the car blocking entree. bam ruined a weeks worth of gathering cause somone thought less sit in the sea no one will see nor come to us

Thread starter #27

RickGrimesdd

Survivor
Backer
That's cool. I hope if it gets in game
still wouldnt be safe though 5 mins swim and bam you are on there barge, its why no one uses boats in ark the physics and vulnerability cause last i checked all barges have more then 1 emergency point of entree so even hording cars wont help to stop people getting up as you could simply get on the first steps and blow up the car blocking entree. bam ruined a weeks worth of gathering cause somone thought less sit in the sea no one will see nor come to us
that it would only be big enough for 1 vehicle

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
There are some things I'd like to see bought to the game, too many to list.
Barges and house boats are two of them. But Bacon? Oh yes please @JB_ , but back bacon and dry smoked, not the streaky stuff you Americans go for. LOL

JB_

Developer
Developer
There are some things I'd like to see bought to the game, too many to list.
Barges and house boats are two of them. But Bacon? Oh yes please @JB_ , but back bacon and dry smoked, not the streaky stuff you Americans go for. LOL
Oh man I miss back bacon so much!

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
I also guess with it being a barge it would be the speed of a tug boat, so although it's relatively safe from people and more safe against zeds it would be slow as hell and very noisy chugging along.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
In the UK, on canals, there's a four knot speed limit.
Well, I think that's right ...
So I'm going with @Num47 here.
Slow as anything, even slower than walking. But what an idea! We've got rivers showing on the map as well as lakes.
Now if @JB_ can get smoked back bacon in to the game as well. Then I'm 'set'

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
In the UK, on canals, there's a four knot speed limit.
Well, I think that's right ...
So I'm going with @Num47 here.
Slow as anything, even slower than walking. But what an idea! We've got rivers showing on the map as well as lakes.
Now if @JB_ can get smoked back bacon in to the game as well. Then I'm 'set'
I did suggest canal barges as a seperate idea, so maybe there could be the more narrow type you'd see in the UK for rivers/canals and the houseboat could be suited more for the lakes or travel around the coast of Black Island.

Thread starter #34

RickGrimesdd

Survivor
Backer
I also guess with it being a barge it would be the speed of a tug boat, so although it's relatively safe from people and more safe against zeds it would be slow as hell and very noisy chugging along.
Yea and wouldn't be real agile either. And it's no battleship lol. You would have to come in to shore for supplies

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
So we all like the barge / houseboat idea.
I think we have a bit of consensus that they'll be slow and need a lot of work and pick ups to be able to make them work.
As a water bourn equivalent of the RV, I'd like to see them in the game.
The only thing I'd like to see more is smoked back bacon. Because it's bacon.
@JB_ BACON! I want BACON!!

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Not sure there should be any vehicle carrying capacity on a barge or houseboat.
In the 'lore' post, we've talked about a ferry that might take an RV and a flatbed truck at the same time.
Well, that's 'pushing the boat out' in to game development a long way in to the future.
I'll go back to the idea of a barge or houseboat as a floating RV.
There'll be a lot of work to get it going and it will need repairs and maintenance.
I almost like the idea more than my love of bacon!