• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Base claims and a suggestion of how to do it

Some ideas for making a claim

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jedi_warrior

There's alot of realestate on the map, its unlikely it'll ever all get claimed. Was it @jedi_warrior who suggested a timer? That's a great idea for ownership, if a player hasn't been back to the game for say a week their claim is given up. Last thing we want is to have servers full of claimed buildings with non existant players.
Exactly, a timer is a good option. Even if a player hasn't showed up in the game for certain amount of time keep the trophy, I don't mind it, but just spawn zombies. Someone may eventually come in and place their own trophy.

The question I have now is how do we differentiate claims? How would we know which building belogns to whom? Would there be one trophy for all players or a different trophy for every individual player. The latter might be hard to achieve, I think. What are your thoughts?

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
I'm still in favour of one craftable, movable and visible, to other players, trophy per player. Something to restrict zombie spawns within a radius. Just a little something to make it easier to restart in the game. But the timer idea mentioned by @DZS and quoted as being from @jedi_warrior is something that needs to be in the mechanics. How long should a trophy last? A week, perhaps? Could you then pick it up and take to a repair bench to fix it so it lasts a little longer before taking it back to your base?

Thread starter #23

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
Trophies would have to be locked to player accounts per server. @Dr. J mentioned something about having a sort of indication on claimed buildings. That's not a bad idea. In Empyrion clan bases show up on planet maps for non pvp planets i think it was. In STN you could have, building claimed by 'bob' you walk up to the door see its locked and an automated message pings up along with the lock info about the owner thus indicating to other players this building is already claimed. Theres a number of ways this could be done including huge neon signs, joking haha.

Different trophies would be good, wouldn't you love to plonk a picture of elvis in your base :) Many trophies all resulting in the same main objective, secondary variables could affect sanity system. A poster of Elvis might be higher value to moral than a picture of margaret thatcher lol. And that's why i dont chat on discord whilst drinking :D

Thread starter #24

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
I'm still in favour of one craftable, movable and visible, to other players, trophy per player. Something to restrict zombie spawns within a radius. Just a little something to make it easier to restart in the game. But the timer idea mentioned by @DZS and quoted as being from @jedi_warrior is something that needs to be in the mechanics. How long should a trophy last? A week, perhaps? Could you then pick it up and take to a repair bench to fix it so it lasts a little longer before taking it back to your base?
Hmmm a degradation mechanic? I think just have a timer that regularly resets upon a player returning so that players are aware of it, if the a player doesn't return within the allotted time its like saying i no longer care ive left the game or server. There should also be settings server side, no one glove fits all where a server owner can make it as long as a month cause some people have busy lifes. Good for private servers that are run through a large forum where passwords are handed out via pm's. Also the ability to disable fully.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Not sure we could have different sort of trophies here @DZS , and I have to disagree about which poster would be of more value (!). At least we agree on one per player per server.
Can we also agree on many players 'claiming' the same building? This might help people work together to fortify a structure.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Hmmm a degradation mechanic? I think just have a timer that regularly resets upon a player returning so that players are aware of it, if the a player doesn't return within the allotted time its like saying i no longer care ive left the game or server. There should also be settings server side, no one glove fits all where a server owner can make it as long as a month cause some people have busy lifes. Good for private servers that are run through a large forum where passwords are handed out via pm's. Also the ability to disable fully.
Just "YES!" to all of the above.

Thread starter #27

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
Can we also agree on many players 'claiming' the same building? This might help people work together to fortify a structure.
See what ive been trying to say is we need a clan system but most people seem against the idea. Ok so maybe it doesn't need to be that comprehensive to handing out roles to various group members, how would a claim system work with groups etc? In a larger building say the police station or prison on blackrock? is going to undoubtably become dominated by larger clans such groups would really need a rudimentry system to organize the building and running of their clan in game. Its all good to say we dont need any such things, but later what happens when large groups of players like the 'Khans hehe' start invading servers.

jedi_warrior

Yes to all of the above.

Thread starter #29

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
Keep the ideas going really good discussion. Shows the strength of our community.

gummy8unny

Backer
If we were to implement a clan system and then have a claim system in which 1 player and or 1 clan can only occupy 1 building there should also be a incentive for multiple people fortifying the same building as so a group of players doesn't just all claim buildings by themselves. I do like the idea of using the claim to upgrade existing structures unless there will be individual tiers for each item. ex. if you make a claim maybe you give it 20 scrap and you can upgrade your simple locks to dead bolts which increases durability.

Thread starter #31

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
If we were to implement a clan system and then have a claim system in which 1 player and or 1 clan can only occupy 1 building there should also be a incentive for multiple people fortifying the same building as so a group of players doesn't just all claim buildings by themselves. I do like the idea of using the claim to upgrade existing structures unless there will be individual tiers for each item. ex. if you make a claim maybe you give it 20 scrap and you can upgrade your simple locks to dead bolts which increases durability.
This is where a clan management system comes in handy, ive been trying to figure out how to say it. In Hellion a space game where you can fly around space ships in each ship is a security console where you can add crew. Only crew can safely enter the vessel without any turrets or other security measures activating. This is one example of a management system in a building where you can add members to it, in this case anyone in the server. Its prob a bit soon to be talking about clan management but i do think its something that will need addressing fairly soon after release to public on steam. Its always good to start throwing around ideas as the foundations are being laid so that when the more complicated bits get added there's already a large compendium of ideas for the team to trawl through when their think tank is running on low. I do like being able to upgrade a structure to higher levels of fortifications. Not quite sure how that'd work exactly, an instant upgrade doesn't seem that right lol its not an RTS like C&C. Perhaps upgrading locks and various bits n bobs with a hammer would make more sense a bit like how it works in 7days to die. Or if JB and team wanted to be really mean force all players to craft higher tier locks lol. You know what'd be cool? Passcard readers and magnetic locks with re-enforced steel doors now that'd be cool :p

Further thoughts
An incentive is a good idea to encourage cooperative gameplay. IE lets all hunker down in here combine our efforts and fortify this here building. In order to give good reward for time, the cost should be suitably high for any base upgrades as is the reward. So yes you could use 20 scrap to upgrade locks but players still gotta apply that. MC hammer time :p The size of the building is relational to the level of securing required, some buildings a single player would struggle to fortify with any degree of efficiency, even a small group would be able to handle it.

Last edited:

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Got to give a hat tip to @Num47 here for reminding us we've all looked in to this before.
I still like the idea of a physical, craftable and placeable item that would prevent zombie spawns. Something with a limited range, say the room it was placed in and those adjoining.
But @DZS raises some good questions here. How could that work with a clan system? What happens if a clan fall out? We've seen steel doors on the new bunker structures, not sure we need to go as far as card readers. They'd need permanent power, you'd want them to fail open, not fail closed!

Back on track, a visible symbol that prevents zombies spawning in a limited area, something other players can see (and destroy if they want to), but doesn't prevent them from placing their own 'claim marker' looks like a good way to go.

Thread starter #34

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
Hey @Num47 buddy thanks for your input the subject is coming to the forefront now because its really an issue good on ya for pulling up the old threads.

Thread starter #35

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
Got to give a hat tip to @Num47 here for reminding us we've all looked in to this before.
I still like the idea of a physical, craftable and placeable item that would prevent zombie spawns. Something with a limited range, say the room it was placed in and those adjoining.
But @DZS raises some good questions here. How could that work with a clan system? What happens if a clan fall out? We've seen steel doors on the new bunker structures, not sure we need to go as far as card readers. They'd need permanent power, you'd want them to fail open, not fail closed!
Well there is the power station :cool:

Last edited:

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Could we get it back up an running? I don't think the game mechanics are there just now to make that possible.

Velocetation

Backer
So about the whole idea of having claims marked on the map, I don't really thing that its something that should be added because its just sounds like a way to be punished for trying to get rid of zombie spawns (because when you let everybody on the map know where you are you might get some company of the bad kind), also I personally like the mystery of not knowing where are the populated areas with people around because it makes up for much better player interaction if you ask me, because when you go other to a town and decide to live there and you suddenly find out that you have neighbors then you don't know how to act because you didn't expect it and that creates much more dynamic player interaction than if you were to always know where most people reside, same goes for just stumbling into another player (that lives right across the street) in some random house, and they didn't see you and a thousand thoughts go through your head all at once of how you should approach the situation (should you attack them, should you try to talk to them, should you just hide or try to run, should you maybe hold them up and mug them) and all of that is much more exciting than knowing where everybody lives because then you (most of the time) end up with relatively boring player interaction because everybody knows what to expect because they know where they should expect to see people because they can see where people live.

I also don't think that enabling the "claiming" system in a certain area (placing a trophy) should make any player made object more durable because I just simply don't see why it should do so, I mean those fortifications can only be placed by players anyways so where they are there most likely will be a residing player which is probably disabling zombie spawns so if you might as well buff all fortification health in general

Also to the comments on my suggestion. The whole right click functionality on the locks for claiming and stuff, I don't think that's needed because as I said in my suggestion, my system is only meant for one thing and that is to stop zombie spawning, no more and no less which is why a claiming functionality is really not needed because all it does is make it so zombies don't spawn in that specific area which it is applied to, so there would be no buff to the player who placed the locks neither there would be any negative effects to any other players that don't "own" that house, the system treats everyone equally and only does one thing, stop zombie spawns (and item spawns).
And if you ask me my system makes perfect sense because if you see a building that is barricaded and has no way inside of it, then there probably shouldn't be any zombies or items (except the ones that the player that lived there placed or stored) in there (not to speak about it taking care of the problem of zombies spawning in a fortified building then breaking their way out thus just letting any random guy come and take the loot), and it also is tied to an already existing system which makes it so you don't have to go out of your way to make or place some trophy, my suggestion is more like an add on to the fortification system which just makes it do what people would think think fortifying a house would do in the first place, make them safe by making it so zombies don't spawn in that house, and overall since its just an add on to the fortification system, it makes for a much smoother gameplay experience because instead of having to fortify and have to place some trophy, you just fortify and that's it, zombies wont spawn in your building and that's one less extra step that you would have to do with the trophy system, with which a new player would have to learn a whole new system (which probably wont be all that complex but still).
Also I think that while it might be harder to code that the "trophy system" my suggestion is much more dynamic as it enables a player to keep a low profile in (what would be) a populated city like union you can only live in one apartment (or maybe only in one room of one apartment) instead of "claiming" a whole building so that you can lay low.
In general because the my suggestion doesn't actually include having building "claims" and the system only stops zombie spawns, it allows for the possibility of abandoned player homes being reused by new players for shelter and maybe even as a permanent house (because there is no trophy or anything that stops them from easily getting in and calling it a home, of course as long as there was some opening in the house like an opened window or door), also without any actual "claims" that can cause changes in how players can interact with the environment, there is no need for a decay timer or anything which means old abandoned homes can just become a part of the map, and because (as long as somebody broke in to the house, which without any traps or a player to protect the house shouldn't be all that hard at all) there is an entrance to the house loot and zombies still spawn in it which means its just a part of the map as any other house and that it just has some cool add-ons that you wouldn't usually see on a regular house, which just makes the map different on each server (even if its not a huge difference its still cool).
So just to sum up this wall of text, this system is only for stopping zombie spawns and it is more dynamic, smooth and simple than the trophy system (and if you ask me it is also more fitting for the game than a trophy system). Also I think that you all might be looking for a more RPG style type of system while I am looking for a more realistic, simple system.

Last edited:
Thread starter #40

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
Yeah that's one of the paragraphs and no its a bit more than simply putting a lock on a door to prevent the spawning in a whole building
To elaborate what @Velocetation is saying, the problem is because theres apartments in game it'd work ok if there was only single houses in game. Where you have apartment blocks with structures separated by walls it would cause problems placing a single lock to claim ownership and or disable spawns.

Status
Not open for further replies.