• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Base claims and a suggestion of how to do it

Some ideas for making a claim

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter #41

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
To more clearly detail what ive been trying to say about locks and claiming ownership in order to disable spawns.

Stage 1 - locks are a basic but simple device to
A) Keep your house secure from other players and zombies particularly at night
B) Disable spawns
C) Facilitate additional options for the developers to play with - tack on systems like clans

Stage 2 - Trophies
A) Locks are not required with a trophy in place to disable spawns. They are still needed to keep players and roaming zeds out of your base
B) Trophys and placing artifacts tie into the sanity system, this has been touched on
https://community.survivethenights.net/threads/mental-sickness.9495/#post-89863 https://community.survivethenights.net/threads/whittling-small-wood-carving.8410/#post-81237 some comments from memory in a few other threads. The idea is placing trophies, pre-apocalypse artifacts raises moral which means in game terms any lost sanity points start to gradually regenerate. If trophies end up not being used for base claims spawn disabling they could still have a use in terms of sanity.
C) Trophies are harder to destroy than locks simply because of their placement in your base like on a wall.

Thread starter #42

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
Could we get it back up an running? I don't think the game mechanics are there just now to make that possible.
Not as of yet eventually. Well that's what i thought was the plan. Not sure you could call the power station a base lol, it is certainly a utility. Beyond a doubt large groups will control it. Prob try and make players pay for its use too haha.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
To elaborate what @Velocetation is saying, the problem is because theres apartments in game it'd work ok if there was only single houses in game. Where you have apartment blocks with structures separated by walls it would cause problems placing a single lock to claim ownership and or disable spawns.
I could only suggest something like, boarding up and securing the door(s)/window(s) on a ground floor level as to stop any unwanted dead visitors. If the ground floor is secured zombies should not be "gaining access" to higher levels.

Yes this would be easy for one person to clear a multi-floor building from zombie spawns, but it'd still be the same effort as before to keep the building yours and this would not give ownership.

Something else I've always put forward is a way for zombies to turn structures into infestations/lairs to create designated locations in urban areas that'll spawn more zeds the longer it's left unchecked, could also cancel out random spawn zones with the vicinity. This could maybe help clear up some buildings in the more dense areas from random zed spawns.

But I'll think more on the topic.

Velocetation

Backer
Stage 2 - Trophies
I am not really all about a claiming system for reasons mentioned in my previous comment, the system I suggested isn't really meant to coexist with a claiming system (trophy system), its meant to "replace" the trophy system (also would work better without an existing claiming system, for reasons I mentioned in my previous comment).
I personally don't think the trophies are needed because:
A. If you could place trophies outside then trophies would enable you to actually disable all the zombie and item spawns in a town, making the town uninhabitable for any players (because there would be no animals or items spawns, nobody would be able to eat or get anything in general), now because the trophies can be placed on walls they would probably be well hidden (maybe even glitched inside some objects because of exploits or put in some areas where players cant reach, which with a free placing system for items that actually have an effect on their surroundings I can definitely see that becoming an issue) which would make it even easier for some guy to a trophy down and block a bunch of spawns in a certain area and most of the issues that I brought up would still be present even if you could only place trophies in buildings.
My point is that a system that is tied to the fortification system is much better in terms of abusability and bugs than a trophy system just because its much more restricted (in a good way). (And as always that nothing on the map should truly belong to any player).

B. I kind of like the idea of trophies affecting someones sanity if they are near the trophy (like in the same room), so in my opinion maybe trophies can be (I am talking about if trophies were striped of all their abilities except the ability to restore sanity) a category of items (like a deer trophy, a little statue or a toy) that when placed and are looked at will provide you a sanity boost or restore your sanity.

Thread starter #45

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
Something else I've always put forward is a way for zombies to turn structures into infestations/lairs to create designated locations in urban areas that'll spawn more zeds the longer it's left unchecked, could also cancel out random spawn zones with the vicinity. This could maybe help clear up some buildings in the more dense areas from random zed spawns.

But I'll think more on the topic.
Great idea man! Zombie herd spawning locations woho now were talking lol. Forget zombies spawning in buildings just spawn em all in roaming herds. Also zombie spawn choke points, this seems like some epic gun fights. Also infested buildings would create some serious coop gameplay potentials. Ive seen how that works in State of Decay. Great idea! Its a bit like, this is where Zombie bob lives, we live here. It would draw hardcore fps survival players in the dozens. If people knew there was mega herds roaming through towns or zombie party houses nearby they would be a bit more cautious lol.

Yeah man instead of having the zeddys spawn like teddys all wrapped up in beddy, get the occasional curious zed to walk across xyz finding a place to call home until an unlikely chap or lass wanders in looking for the smoke.

Hopefully most of that made sense, if not slap me i can take it.

Last edited:
Thread starter #46

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
I am not really all about a claiming system for reasons mentioned in my previous comment, the system I suggested isn't really meant to coexist with a claiming system (trophy system), its meant to "replace" the trophy system (also would work better without an existing claiming system, for reasons I mentioned in my previous comment).
I personally don't think the trophies are needed because:
A. If you could place trophies outside then trophies would enable you to actually disable all the zombie and item spawns in a town, making the town uninhabitable for any players (because there would be no animals or items spawns, nobody would be able to eat or get anything in general), now because the trophies can be placed on walls they would probably be well hidden (maybe even glitched inside some objects because of exploits or put in some areas where players cant reach, which with a free placing system for items that actually have an effect on their surroundings I can definitely see that becoming an issue) which would make it even easier for some guy to a trophy down and block a bunch of spawns in a certain area and most of the issues that I brought up would still be present even if you could only place trophies in buildings.
My point is that a system that is tied to the fortification system is much better in terms of abusability and bugs than a trophy system just because its much more restricted (in a good way). (And as always that nothing on the map should truly belong to any player).

B. I kind of like the idea of trophies affecting someones sanity if they are near the trophy (like in the same room), so in my opinion maybe trophies can be (I am talking about if trophies were striped of all their abilities except the ability to restore sanity) a category of items (like a deer trophy, a little statue or a toy) that when placed and are looked at will provide you a sanity boost or restore your sanity.
Hopefully @Num47's idea appeals moar. What ive been talking about with trophies and sanity is really another subject but it is only one idea of many that would be great for the sanity system, something potentially quite unique to STN.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
Knew I'd seen something before...
https://community.survivethenights.net/threads/decorating-and-furnishings.2636/
This thread is up your alley @DZS

As not to derail anything too much, I too agree with the idea of leaisure items/interactables and with the future vision of having the arcade machines working as an actual thing discussed (and by the devs too :D), this could deffo be a thing.

It'd be nice to start small, like maybe things to hang up in the safehouse with some nails and some interior decor for a vehicle, fuzzy dice/bobble head n stuff like that.

I'd also like having both pre/post event items... for instance pre event could be stuff like an old Black Island football team jersey in a frame/collection of magazines and post event could be crafted items. Like animal head trophies, makeshift arts & craft type decor i.e a windchime made from spent bullet casings, I dunno but ya get what I mean.
Think I kept it on track, nearly...

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Thanks' for the link there, @Num47 … what goes around comes around, as they used to say.

My turn to derail the thread. At the risk of getting in to the whole 'loot crate' thing. Yes, I'm talking about skins you could purchase direct from the Dev.s to help keep this game going. I don't know if that would work (well, based on the number of times I die when playing!), so I'll just throw the idea out there.

Right, back on track:

@Velocetation , I don't think the idea was to have claim markers do anything other than stop zombie spawns within a limited area. As you say, fortifying a structure to a certain extent could achieve the same effect. We're just all a little tired of working hard to fortify an area only to find a zombie spawns behind you as you're busy crafting something and kills you. But I do like the idea of being to craft something that might improve your mental health. Do we need a new thread about that idea? What would you suggest, a random piece of art made with (perhaps) a hammer, empty cans, dirty rags and bits of wood? Perhaps you could make @Num47 s furry dice or windchime?

Well now, @DZS , zombie hoards spawning? I think we get enough zombies spawning at night to make us all need a trip to the bathroom an urgent requirement, especially if we've just spawned ourselves. @Dark_Eno has made that point before. It's hard to get started in the game, and find the food, weapons and equipment you'll need to survive more than one night. But having random spawn locations for a concentrated zombie mass AWAY from players, then the zombies spread out through the surrounding area? Now that's an idea I could get behind!

Thread starter #51

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
Knew I'd seen something before...
https://community.survivethenights.net/threads/decorating-and-furnishings.2636/
This thread is up your alley @DZS

As not to derail anything too much, I too agree with the idea of leaisure items/interactables and with the future vision of having the arcade machines working as an actual thing discussed (and by the devs too :D), this could deffo be a thing.

It'd be nice to start small, like maybe things to hang up in the safehouse with some nails and some interior decor for a vehicle, fuzzy dice/bobble head n stuff like that.

I'd also like having both pre/post event items... for instance pre event could be stuff like an old Black Island football team jersey in a frame/collection of magazines and post event could be crafted items. Like animal head trophies, makeshift arts & craft type decor i.e a windchime made from spent bullet casings, I dunno but ya get what I mean.
Think I kept it on track, nearly...
Pretty much what ive been saying.

Thread starter #52

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
Well now, @DZS , zombie hoards spawning? I think we get enough zombies spawning at night to make us all need a trip to the bathroom an urgent requirement, especially if we've just spawned ourselves. @Dark_Eno has made that point before. It's hard to get started in the game, and find the food, weapons and equipment you'll need to survive more than one night. But having random spawn locations for a concentrated zombie mass AWAY from players, then the zombies spread out through the surrounding area? Now that's an idea I could get behind!
But dont you wanna play The Walking Dead STN edition :p

See my AI post.

Last edited:

RickGrimesdd

Survivor
Backer
I say if you put a lock on the building that its free of spawns. and lock it to 2 or 3 buildings is all you can claim. if you want to change buildings you have to remove all locks off of 1 of your other buildings. if you get enough people to take a town then thats cool. if someone breaks in they can use/take what ever.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
https://community.survivethenights.net/threads/zombie-hordes-forming-mini-hordes.10763/#post-97298

Even if the zombie spawn system gets changed i still think claiming a building even for group play is a good idea as it facilitates the ability for the developers to add in more systems regarding group play.
How about certain POI on the map... Power Plant, Any chain of Popovs store,Train Station (not in but maybe I can sneak one in just by mentioning like it is hehe) the more larger structures that would in reality need a group to utilize and maybe other places that serve a purpose... an example a draw bridge maybe.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
I think we're on the same page here @Num47 , one player can fortify a structure to the extent it is claimed within a certain radius, or place a 'trophy' to prevent zombie spawns within the room it's placed in, and those on the same level immediately adjacent.

RickGrimesdd

Survivor
Backer
How about certain POI on the map... Power Plant, Any chain of Popovs store,Train Station (not in but maybe I can sneak one in just by mentioning like it is hehe) the more larger structures that would in reality need a group to utilize and maybe other places that serve a purpose... an example a draw bridge maybe.
yea no power plant period

Thread starter #58

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
Hmm nah no to claiming ownership of large buildings and structures like the powerplant, not to say it wouldn't still be controlled if a group had enough players and weapons. I think it should be limited to police station size no larger, i know up in the top left somewhere? there's a large complex of multifloor office buildings stuff like that shouldn't be claimable, not in STN. If a clan got into the power station fortified it up to the max it'd become like a fortress, whilst that may seem like a fun idea it would unbalance the game. I was initially optimistic about owning the power station but not when i see how it could cause problems. I mean sure if i a large group wants to get in there and fight everyone and everything that tries to get in they can, but turning into a fortress is a baddddd idea lol. Police station size is enough that's big enough for a good sized clan. It'd be a tough nut to crack for any groups that try to wage war with them. Farm houses as well. Small office building size.

Something like 3 storeys max. That's heaps man.

Yeah a train station would be a nice addition to the game. With working trains, can dream.

Last edited:

Velocetation

Backer
Even if the zombie spawn system gets changed i still think claiming a building even for group play is a good idea as it facilitates the ability for the developers to add in more systems regarding group play.
I don't get how claiming helps anything, I cant see claiming achieving anything more than making a more restricted world and a more cluncky gameplay experience.
Also I'd like to know how having claiming enables more options for group play (sorry if I sound rude I seriously don't know) because I currently cant think of anything that you could do without claiming being a thing.

Velocetation

Backer
.... I think it should be limited to police station size no larger, i know up in the top left somewhere? there's a large complex of multifloor office buildings stuff like that shouldn't be claimable, not in STN. If a clan got into the power station fortified it up to the max it'd become like a fortress, whilst that may seem like a fun idea it would unbalance the game. I was initially optimistic about owning the power station but not when i see how it could cause problems. I mean sure if i a large group wants to get in there and fight everyone and everything that tries to get in they can, but turning into a fortress is a baddddd idea lol. Police station size is enough that's big enough for a good sized clan.....
Something like 3 storeys max. That's heaps man.

While I do think that 3 storeys is more than enough for any group I do also think that you should really be able to fortify (or in this case claim) whatever you want, as long as its fortify-able its fine, if there is a need for restriction of fortifying a building I am sure the devs can just change that building to make it so you cant fortify it (unlike other game devs the STN devs actually care), like if I want to live on the top of a skyscraper then I should be able to (which btw shameless plug that the system I suggested would make it so instead of placing your great ol trophy and stopping spawns in the whole building, I can just fortify the top floor or maybe only one room and thus not ruin the building for everone else because I just wanted to live on the top because the system I suggested is more flexable and at the same time more restricted to make it harder to abuse).
Also I don't get why you think that there would be clans in STN, with the amount of loot and space that is currently on the map I would be surprised if the map can sustain more that 20 people (and that's crowded), even if they add another city up in the northeast that is the size of union point or even bigger I cant see the map being able to handle more than 30 people max so I don't think there will be clans in STN and if there are then those clans would pretty much be playing alone anyways because they will fill up the server.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.