• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Base claims and a suggestion of how to do it

Some ideas for making a claim

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter #61

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
I don't get how claiming helps anything, I cant see claiming achieving anything more than making a more restricted world and a more cluncky gameplay experience.
Also I'd like to know how having claiming enables more options for group play (sorry if I sound rude I seriously don't know) because I currently cant think of anything that you could do without claiming being a thing.
Have you played Empyrion? The game features a faction management system which is tied to a created structure.
https://empyrion.gamepedia.com/Faction

Everything needs a framework to build from. Otherwise you have disordered chaos. There are many things that become possible with a claim system. Remote viewing of your base, video cameras via CCTV. Pager systems pinging you when a traps been tripped. If Some sort of circa 2000 ingame intranet is added it'd allow players to send messages back and forth to each others bases using a pc or laptop, i think wireless existed in the year 2k. even remotely view CCTV 'if that was possible in the year 2000' expand on storage, adding a stock inventory management system if players start to amass alot of loot. Have a central home alarm system linked into a pager or similar pinger. Setup an automatic garage door on a remote control. Potentially alter plumbing if A2Z wants to take it that far, prob a bit far haha. There's alot that can be done when management systems are added tied to a structure.

Thread starter #62

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
While I do think that 3 storeys is more than enough for any group I do also think that you should really be able to fortify (or in this case claim) whatever you want, as long as its fortify-able its fine, if there is a need for restriction of fortifying a building I am sure the devs can just change that building to make it so you cant fortify it (unlike other game devs the STN devs actually care), like if I want to live on the top of a skyscraper then I should be able to (which btw shameless plug that the system I suggested would make it so instead of placing your great ol trophy and stopping spawns in the whole building, I can just fortify the top floor or maybe only one room and thus not ruin the building for everone else because I just wanted to live on the top because the system I suggested is more flexable and at the same time more restricted to make it harder to abuse).
Also I don't get why you think that there would be clans in STN, with the amount of loot and space that is currently on the map I would be surprised if the map can sustain more that 20 people (and that's crowded), even if they add another city up in the northeast that is the size of union point or even bigger I cant see the map being able to handle more than 30 people max so I don't think there will be clans in STN and if there are then those clans would pretty much be playing alone anyways because they will fill up the server.
Its more about stopping groups of players turning a large building into an impenetrable fortress. Sure if you wanna fortify an apartment in a 20 story skyscraper go ahead dont see why that wouldn't be possible. But one group owning the entire sky scrapper? That's not cool.

https://community.survivethenights.net/forums/groups-clans-servers.52/
Also
https://community.survivethenights.net/threads/khans-faction.8764/ for some entertainment

Velocetation

Backer
Have you played Empyrion? The game features a faction management system which is tied to a created structure.

Everything needs a framework to build from. Otherwise you have disordered chaos. There are many things that become possible with a claim system. Remote viewing of your base, video cameras via CCTV. Pager systems pinging you when a traps been tripped. If Some sort of circa 2000 ingame intranet is added it'd allow players to send messages back and forth to each others bases using a pc or laptop, i think wireless existed in the year 2k. even remotely view CCTV 'if that was possible in the year 2000' expand on storage, adding a stock inventory management system if players start to amass alot of loot. Have a central home alarm system linked into a pager or similar pinger. Setup an automatic garage door on a remote control. Potentially alter plumbing if A2Z wants to take it that far, prob a bit far haha. There's alot that can be done when management systems are added tied to a structure.
Yeah but you can do all of that without a claiming system.
Like remote viewing of your base is something that could be done easily, just add a CCTV camera item which has a frequency that you can tune and once you place that CCTV camera (in a powered area or with charged batteries) and turn it on it will send live feed of what it can see to any computer that is tuned to that frequency, and not having this system tied to a stupid claiming system only gives you more possibilities of stuff that can now be done with this mechanic, like somebody knowing the frequency of the cameras that you set in your house and secretly spying on you (would not have been possible if those cameras were only viewable by the people that claimed the house) or people using it outside of their claimed structures, like placing them in popular spots for players and just being someone who has an eye on all the places (which would not be possible if the cameras were only tied to the owned structure).
The pager that notifies you when a trap was tripped, also possible with either a new item or just using the motion sensor that is already in game and like with the CCTV cameras it would use the frequency system to notify you, whether through the computer or through a little remote control that you can also set frequencies to (and without a claiming system, there would be more possibilities, like placing them anywhere you want, maybe you put a bear trap somewhere in the woods and once its caught something it pings you via the computer or any other device and you come over to get whatever you caught or placing some loot in front of a shotgun trap that is hidden in some building that's downtown and once you get that notification that its triggered you know you can go over to get the corpse of your poor victim and all of this would not be possible if it was tied to the claiming system because then you would only get notified when those traps are in your house.
The automatic garage door would also work just fine, you can just use that remote control/notifier (or the computer) that I talked about earlier and give it a button for toggle and make it equipable (so when its equipped if you press left click it will toggle on and off) and just install some new upgrade to the controls for that garage door and then set the garage door and the remote control/remote notifier/computer to the same frequency and it does the same thing that it would have done with the claiming system but better because now you can do it with multiple things that are not even in your base and remember how you said that everything needs framework, well all that stuff works on the frequency system which already exists in game with the radios so they don't even have to make a new system from the ground up (the current frequency system will need some upgrades but its less work overall) and this frequency system enables for much more dynamic remote control for all the stuff you offered than the claiming system.
So I can keep going but I think I got my point across, everything that the claiming system offers can be done without it in a better more dynamic way that makes the gameplay better, which is why in my opinion (no offence) the claiming system is trash because on the outside it looks good but at the end of the day it actually offers a less dynamic more bland gameplay experience than what can be done without it and with other systems, as I have proved with zombie spawning and now with this, claiming is not needed.

Last edited:

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
OK, I'm going to backtrack a few posts and go back to what @DZS was talking about with alarms and pager systems.
I started using wireless in 1995. We have pick-ups in game already like a radio that might let us craft a pager. But it's going to be a basic unencrypted system, as @Velocetation says.

I like the idea of being to craft something that triggers a notification when activated, a general broadcast that all players in range can receive. It might just be 'item one triggered'. Something basic only the player concerned, or their team, might know the significance of. It might be a door, a trap, or something else.

The idea behind claiming an area has always been to prevent unexpected zombie spawns for me, nothing more, nothing less. Helping everyone start off in a safe position as they join the game.

Thread starter #65

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
Ok so the general feeling is structure claiming isn't needed. The crux of the problem was zombies spawning in bases, whilst this was a solution better ideas have started to take root. The threads run its course there's little further to add. Im going to request the thread is locked as i dont think a claim system is right for STN.

DirtyDigs

How about each zombie must be able to pathfind its way into a house to be able to spawn there? I don't know how the zombie spawn works but I imagine you could run a check from the intended spawn point to some designated areas outside. If no path can be found, no spawn. I don't think a claim system is needed at all.

I must say the main reason I don't play and test this game more is due to the spawn issue, so finding a way to remove zombies attacking me inside a locked up house while I use the bathroom or take a sip of water would be great. I know this response is late but I felt like its an easier solution to the problem than adding new mechanics.

Last edited:

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Perhaps, as @DZS says, there isn't a need for a claim system in STN. But I think there is a need to curtail zombie spawns near to players, especially if they are just starting out in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.