• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Basements

Thread starter #1

JoshGaarax3

Backer
So seeing how this is somewhat an American styled place the game is in that means most houses and buildings would include basements correct? just a nice little thought where you could set up a seriously reinforced door and then have a small cache of items in the basement while you have things like a generator and all the other survival essentials upstairs so in case a horde or a raiding party every does come for you, you could just run and lock yourself in your fortified basement and with those little pots with lights for growing plants you could have a few down there to sustain yourself however we all know being down in the basement for a long time is not good for your mental health so there would be a downside to it.

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
I know basements have been mentioned but I don't believe there's a thread dedicated for them. Personally I'd love to see some homes with basements, so +1 for that. :D

It would add for some interesting dynamics as well. Unless it's a 3/4 basement (earth contact on only three sides) it won't have any windows, so to do anything even during the day you'd need a light source down there (candles, lanterns, flashlight, or electricity generated by some means). Like you said it'd be a great place for a stash, especially if the basement is finished. While some unfinished basements have doors, many don't have doors and are just for storage and/or utilities like clothes washer/dryer, water heater, HVAC, etc.

I'm not sure how difficult it would be to put basements in the world but I'm sure it's possible.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
It'd be crazy not too.
+1

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
What's in the basement aside from the bogeyman? A water heater? Camping supplies? Canned food? Propane tanks? While a place to hide and hold up they had to have had a use before the apocalypse. What type of houses would be most likely to house a basement? Three story? Ones with a hill for a foundation? Where will the entrances be? Will there be a door outside leading in or simply one entrance from inside that leads to a flight of stairs? Would do well to work out the details and give the Devs more input.

Last edited:

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
What's in the basement aside from the bogeyman? A water heater? Camping supplies? Canned food? Propane tanks? While a place to hide and hold up they had to have had a use before the apocalypse. What type of houses would be most likely to house a basement? Three story? Ones with a hill for a foundation? Where will the entrances be? Will there be a door outside leading in or simply one entrance from inside the house that leads to a flight of stairs? Would do well to work out the details and give the Devs more input.
I imagine the area would/could determine what's in it and where they are... residential is more likely a basement in the foundation of a 2/3 story building... the average house, but again that depends on where you live IRL when talking about this stuff... here in the UK your average house is more than one floor.

In those basements is most likely another room or storage for house hold items with the entrance being inside and entered through a door under the stairs...

I don't live in a "rural" area nor been in a basement other than in a residential/commercial building so I could not comment on other types.

Thread starter #8

JoshGaarax3

Backer
Only places I know in the UK ot have a basement is tall apartments, flats and some pubs/community areas to store beer and drink kegs other than that I got no idea what kind of places would have a basement.

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
Many homes in the U.S. have basements. Usually 2-3 story homes but some single story homes have basements too. Public service buildings often have basements as well, like hospitals, city halls, etc.

Davz Not Here

Backer
What's in the basement aside from the bogeyman? A water heater? Camping supplies? Canned food? Propane tanks? While a place to hide and hold up they had to have had a use before the apocalypse. What type of houses would be most likely to house a basement? Three story? Ones with a hill for a foundation? Where will the entrances be? Will there be a door outside leading in or simply one entrance from inside that leads to a flight of stairs? Would do well to work out the details and give the Devs more input.
+1
always pointing out the details

- most US houses have an entrance, from inside the house

- in the Mid West of the US, it is also common to have a set of 'storm doors' from the outside (lots of twisters)

- also, there are many barns that have a trap door to a basement

- the house next door to me (for sale, please buy it), 3 bed, 1 story, with a full, finished basement

- almost all houses have a crawlspace for accessing wiring and plumbing usually 2-4ft tall usually accessed from outside

- propane tanks are always stored outside (by law) with the gas piped inside through various cut offs and flash suppressors. you would find the furnace and ducting down there though

- houses on hills tend to have a basement, most i have seen have an entrance to the basement on the low side of the foundation

- not all basements are used for storage, but mostly, even when they are a finished room.

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
Good one @Davz Not Here I was about to point out storm shelters. They are typically fully enclosed basements with an entrance on the outside of the home (not accessible from inside).

Older style entrance:

More modern entrances:

For existing homes that don't have a storm shelter under the home people build essentially concrete bunkers on their property away from the house.

Davz Not Here

Backer
+1 @Montauk

also beach houses are usually on stilts (not all ..... some people are stupid)

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
That all depends bud. Any and all of those really. Finished basements could have rec. rooms, man caves, wet bars, bedrooms, offices, anything an ordinary floor of a typical home could have (even full kitchens). If the basement is fully enclosed by earth then the entrance will be on the inside of the house, unless it's a storm shelter style basement with an entrance from the outside (see images above). For basements partially surrounded by earth there is typically an entrance at ground level to the basement, and often (but not always) an entrance from the 1st floor as well (i.e. stairs leading down to the basement from inside). There aren't really any details to work out, it all depends on the floor plan of the building. If it's practical and space allows for stairs to go into the basement then it's done, otherwise the entrance is put outside.

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
There aren't really any details to work out, it all depends on the floor plan of the building. If it's practical and space allows for stairs to go into the basement then it's done, otherwise the entrance is put outside.
I meant more details concerning the basement overall. Though, agree that it's not required to discuss them in order to be implemented. I mainly wanted the community to be more involved with it, especially if users want to see a man cave or wet bar. Also to save the Devs the question of "What kind of basements you think they want?". Unless it's a widely regarded trivial matter.

Thread starter #15

JoshGaarax3

Backer
Well it depends how many buildings we're going to see in the end, the place is going to be big but how much of it is going to be full out residential or some type of booming town full of shops, apartments, parks etc. so how many variants of basements we're gonna get is unknown but hell i say at least 10-15 variants would be good.

Davz Not Here

Backer
Well it depends how many buildings we're going to see in the end, the place is going to be big but how much of it is going to be full out residential or some type of booming town full of shops, apartments, parks etc. so how many variants of basements we're gonna get is unknown but hell i say at least 10-15 variants would be good.
there are going to be several other 'towns' and at least 1x 'Large City', in addition to what you have already seen ..... @JB_ said this in the "Black Island Lore" thread .....

the island is 64 square kilometers (i think we had access to 3 sq. Kilometers in the tests 1 and 2 )

there will be other islands (WAY down the road, but stated by the devs in several threads)

Davz Not Here

Backer
I meant more details concerning the basement overall. Though, agree that it's not required to discuss them in order to be implemented. I mainly wanted the community to be more involved with it, especially if users want to see a man cave or wet bar. Also to save the Devs the question of "What kind of basements you think they want?". Unless it's a widely regarded trivial matter.

well .....
- we all know the devs are down with the community ideas
- and, if most of the assets are fixed (you can't move that wet bar, just the bottles) then creating new models to fill these gaps is just extra job security for @KrisGalama and Co. ;)
- the next step, to my mind, is that you (and others) start posting pics of these items (as @Montauk and I did above) ..... the community will respond and 1000 (arbitrary number) items will eventually be 30 .....

KrisGalama

Retired Intern
Backer
well .....
- we all know the devs are down with the community ideas
- and, if most of the assets are fixed (you can't move that wet bar, just the bottles) then creating new models to fill these gaps is just extra job security for @KrisGalama and Co. ;)
- the next step, to my mind, is that you (and others) start posting pics of these items (as @Montauk and I did above) ..... the community will respond and 1000 (arbitrary number) items will eventually be 30 .....
When you said my name "and Co." I immediately thought of Dibs Co. I don't do models tho :rolleyes:

WiseManNero

A fire breathn' muthertf***ing dragon
Backer
i like this as well though i have to say most suburban homes here in NC only have a crawlspace never in my short life have i even seen a cellar much less the inside of one in fact it's very uncommon where i live as even NC rural areas seem to lack them in the end I guess it just comes down to where you live