• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Better Night Vision

Thread starter #1

peterpiper007

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?
Backer
I realize it was WWII propaganda, but the whole 'carrots help you see better in the dark' bit made me think about people with different day/night cycles than the norm. I used to work overnights, and sure enough I was more acclimated to the dark than the daylight, and so more comfortable making out details at night.

I'm sure it would be an easy bit of coding for the devs to calculate hours spent in the dark versus in daylight, and to adjust your vision (by slight but noticeable degrees) accordingly. It's a small thing, but I think it would be pretty neat and would add to the immersion. What do you think?

Having Night Vision in a Apocalypse game is a huge deal to survive at night.

Make it really hard to find the Night Vision like in most games it usually is hard to find them.

Places you will be able to find them would be: Military camps, and off dead Military AI, or Military Zombies.

Davz Not Here

Backer
I like the idea of a persons vision acclimating to there life style (day people vs. night people)

as far as an actual set of 'night vision goggles' ...... eh ...... if it's in there it should be super rare .....

strategos2411

Survivor
Backer
As far as I know, there will not be any NVGs. The OP idea is good, but again, very difficult to implement I would have thought, especially in a on-line multi-player game.

Say 50 people on server, all joining at different times, each player would have a different brightness/vision level during the night. Doesn't work for me unfortunately, I think having clear nights/full moon (most natural light) to overcast nights/crescent moon (least natural light), if you want to see better use a torch (or alternative).

A Friendly Moosicorn

Majestic Creature
I think what he means isn't Night Vision Goggles, but how well you can actually see in the dark. Now I'm no game developer(not a good one at least), but that sounds really hard to make. It sounds like a good idea if they can do it, but it's such a small change that I would prefer that they work on bigger projects like adding more items and weapons and stuff. Also, I just want to say that adding Night Vision Goggles seems like a good idea. I don't care about realism, I really wouldn't like to be wandering around the woods like a moron wasting time in the total darkness. Also, I know lots of people that have night vision goggles. They don't have to be great, I just want to be able to see in the dark.

strategos2411

Survivor
Backer
Looking good JB!

A nice peaceful moonlit night.

Will all nights be well lit by a full moon, or will it be cloudy, and darker some nights?
-------------------------------------------------
Yeah will depend on moons cycle and weather for sure, that's almost full. However sometime nights you'll not see a moon all. It's much darker, kinda pisses me off if I'm honest but I know a lot of people like the realism of dark woods lol. - JB

http://community.survivethenights.net/threads/spooky-screen-p.3182/

Moderator #7

Alexander Matthews

M0d3rat0r
Community Mod
Backer
As far as I know, there will not be any NVGs. The OP idea is good, but again, very difficult to implement I would have thought, especially in a on-line multi-player game.

Say 50 people on server, all joining at different times, each player would have a different brightness/vision level during the night. Doesn't work for me unfortunately, I think having clear nights/full moon (most natural light) to overcast nights/crescent moon (least natural light), if you want to see better use a torch (or alternative).
That is how I prefer to play, but most games can't pull night off well. Sometimes night is sooo unbearable when it comes to lighting. I love when the moon illuminates most the path, and your brightness doesn't have to be intensified significantly.

Moderator #8

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Community Mod
Backer
I hope there isn't an OP gamma/brightness adjustment, like in DayZ SA, where you can see like daytime, in the dead of night. I absolutely hate that.

I don't like the idea of NV Goggles for several reasons. They are typically OP and unrealistic in a non-military area like the StN island.

I'd rather see moonlit nights where you can see some creepy things, or having to light up the area around you to see because it is so dark out... or, just not being able to see anything because it is so dark out. Talk about immersion, there it is.

Davz Not Here

Backer
I hope there isn't an OP gamma/brightness adjustment, like in DayZ SA, where you can see like daytime, in the dead of night. I absolutely hate that.
I know folks in RUST who adjusted the gamma on their computer (not in game ..... and you can always do this with any game) ..... it's kind of cheating in my eyes .... but a gray area at the same time

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
As far as I know, there will not be any NVGs..
I was about to make a thread about having something like this and wasn't sure where too or if I should but...
I would not mind something like this, point being that you have to make it and also keeping it working just like any other tool would be a task, like finding battery's or charging it... just a suggestion thou :)

MrMoose

Real talk
Backer

I don't like the idea of NV Goggles for several reasons. They are typically OP and unrealistic in a non-military area like the StN island.

I'd rather see moonlit nights where you can see some creepy things, or having to light up the area around you to see because it is so dark out... or, just not being able to see anything because it is so dark out. Talk about immersion, there it is.
You mean we'll actually have to use flashlights?? Madness!

If stuff like that should be in game (there is a lot of good reason to have it, and lots of good reason why not to) it should be unique item like, there would only be (example) 5x Nightvision goggles that actually works, here im thinking like military style nightvision goggles, witch could see as far as the eye reach. But then you should still be able to make your own "homemade-camara-nightvision" but only could see what would be 50 meters ahead due to the fact its just a freaking camera. Nightvision goggles could work, but im just getting that DayZ kinda feel to it.. It would have too great of an inpact of the game, i dont know if it would be a good or a bad thing.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
If stuff like that should be in game (there is a lot of good reason to have it, and lots of good reason why not to) it should be unique item like, there would only be (example) 5x Nightvision goggles that actually works, here im thinking like military style nightvision goggles, witch could see as far as the eye reach. But then you should still be able to make your own "homemade-camara-nightvision" but only could see what would be 50 meters ahead due to the fact its just a freaking camera. Nightvision goggles could work, but im just getting that DayZ kinda feel to it.. It would have too great of an inpact of the game, i dont know if it would be a good or a bad thing.
Yea I agree with you, reason I posted that was it seems not too OP... I was also thinking about using it when exploring really low light/no light at all areas... tunnels, caves etc (if there is stuff like that). But other people would be thinking of other uses I guess :rolleyes:

Emperor

Survivor
Backer
Having Night Vision in a Apocalypse game is a huge deal to survive at night.

Make it really hard to find the Night Vision like in most games it usually is hard to find them.

Places you will be able to find them would be: Military camps, and off dead Military AI, or Military Zombies.
Except, as already stated and confirmed numerous times, there will be no military camps, dead military AI or military zombies.. Forget military stuff for this game!

[Taco]Uzi

Me Want Game
Backer
In real life peoples eye's adjust to the darkness and i think that you should be able to see the outlines of things after like 10 minutes in the darkness it would help a lot if you spawned at nighttime instead of waiting for day

Cookie

Officially Unofficial.
Backer
In real life peoples eye's adjust to the darkness and i think that you should be able to see the outlines of things after like 10 minutes in the darkness it would help a lot if you spawned at nighttime instead of waiting for day
This should be something that should be adding to the game. This is actually seen in Arma and Source games. It's called HDR.

[TGE]Gloriousdixon

Backer

Id love to have giant floodlights infront of my house just to be thaqt guy that can be see from space

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
Id love to have giant floodlights infront of my house just to be thaqt guy that can be see from space
My neighbor does this! GRR I work late most days and when I drive home it literally make my front yard look like day time... I will be finding you and shooting out your lights :)