• Hello Guest,

Alpha v1.0 has been released on Steam! Bug reports can be made using our new in-game bug reporting system. Please consider joining our Discord if you need assistance.

-The team at a2z(Interactive);

bird mechanics

should this be in the game

• Total voters
Thread starter #1

iiBqntZ

no one reads these anymore
Backer
I was thinking about the birds in the game and thought what mechanics they should have and how they could be beneficial to the player

birds will stay away from humans so maybe if the players see birds suddenly fly away it could mean that people or infected are nearby

I remember watching a survival video and it said to listen for birds as they stay close to water sources

some people farm birds for they're edible eggs so that could be a mechanic

just general immersion you know just hear the birds singing,woodpeckers pecking trees

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
I've voted 'yes with some changes', if you haven't seen the 'pick-up' youtube video, then check it: CHICKENS!
So I guess we've all seen birds circling or staying away, the one that comes to mind is "The long Dark" where crows circle dead bodies.
Eggs, a direction to [inland] water. I think I remember bird song on an earlier video. I'm sure I'll get corrected on this.
How will birds react to zombies?
They'll be new to them. OK, they'll look humanoid ... but how do birds avoid that shape creature? Sight, sound, smell (?) or movement?

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.

In all seriousness tho it's a cool idea and yea chickens are a thing so far, so maybe there are more ways to include our avian friends like the ideas you both mentioned, with some of these thou I'd imagine it might be easier to represent them as 2D sprites when flying above... might save on performance.

Thread starter #4

iiBqntZ

Backer
I've voted 'yes with some changes', if you haven't seen the 'pick-up' youtube video, then check it: CHICKENS!
So I guess we've all seen birds circling or staying away, the one that comes to mind is "The long Dark" where crows circle dead bodies.
Eggs, a direction to [inland] water. I think I remember bird song on an earlier video. I'm sure I'll get corrected on this.
How will birds react to zombies?
They'll be new to them. OK, they'll look humanoid ... but how do birds avoid that shape creature? Sight, sound, smell (?) or movement?
id say sound and smell because rotting and zombies make startling sounds

Thread starter #5

iiBqntZ

Backer
yeah I agree they could do 2d like how a fly is only a circle in games

p.s: I know chicken are in game but I ment the flying birds

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
@iiBqntZ , I'd like to see flying birds, but I can't remember any in the screenshots (I'm sure I'll get corrected on this one as well).
But I want to go back to something @Num47 'hinted' at - performance.
My personal take was that the dev team wanted this game to be as inclusive as possible - not everyone who backed this game will have a high end machine. Even on the lowest settings, some people might struggle to get an acceptable frame rate to enjoy STN.
[oven is on again, and I've based myself for the roasting pan here (actually, that does feel nice)]
I'd like the game to take all the buyers on-board, give everyone a playable game.
Perhaps birds are only visible in systems that can support the speed and res. required to keep the frame rate acceptable?