• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Bob the Builder (PC Edition)

Can we build it?

• No we cannot!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Moderator #41

strategos2411

Lead Moderator
Lead Mod
Backer
Beware? It seems from the thread that the OP simply messed up their Windows registry by watching videos when updating their drivers, when they should not have. Am I missing something?
It screwed my pc up, since i reinstalled old driver version no problems. I was getting messed up sound when streaming videos from youtube as well. Just be aware of it, install old driver version instead of latest. Try a newer version in a few months. This is nothing new, Nvidia have a terrible track record even destroying $500+ cards by making the gpu run 100% when idle. Some of those threads have gone past 100 pages with so much outrage.
The guy in that thread had a Sapphire RX580, I did say above I wouldn't touch a Sapphire card again :D Temp limit of my RX480 is 90c+ before it should start throttling, but around a year after I got it, it started crashing at 80c, so I opened it up, the thermal paste had dried up and wasn't even applied properly, the majority of the chip had paste around it, but not on it :D

Edit - Glad you got your fist component, and with a nice reduction from the price on your parts list above, works out to around £180 which is cheaper than I got my RX480 for almost 2 years ago at £212, just before the mining craze bumped the prices up.

Thread starter #42

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
It screwed my pc up, since i reinstalled old driver version no problems. I was getting messed up sound when streaming videos from youtube as well. Just be aware of it, install old driver version instead of latest. Try a newer version in a few months. This is nothing new, Nvidia have a terrible track record even destroying $500+ cards by making the gpu run 100% when idle. Some of those threads have gone past 100 pages with so much outrage.
Stick with the stable drivers, bios, and relationships. Got it.

The guy in that thread had a Sapphire RX580, I did say above I wouldn't touch a Sapphire card again :D Temp limit of my RX480 is 90c+ before it should start throttling, but around a year after I got it, it started crashing at 80c, so I opened it up, the thermal paste had dried up and wasn't even applied properly, the majority of the chip had paste around it, but not on it :D

Edit - Glad you got your fist component, and with a nice reduction from the price on your parts list above, works out to around £180 which is cheaper than I got my RX480 for almost 2 years ago at £212, just before the mining craze bumped the prices up.
Doesn't that void the warranty?

Two years go by and I only manage to save £32 haha. It seems at least that PC components retain their value. And while that is unfortunate for you, I'm glad I could get a GPU for the price I did. Anything over MSRP is what most have been paying for a long time.

I'm a sucker for these MIR. I know.

Purchase #2: Part #3: (Motherboard) - MSI - X370 GAMING PRO CARBON
Price: $110 - After MIR.
Remaining Budget: $860

Moderator #43

strategos2411

Lead Moderator
Lead Mod
Backer
Stick with the stable drivers, bios, and relationships. Got it.

Doesn't that void the warranty?

Two years go by and I only manage to save £32 haha. It seems at least that PC components retain their value. And while that is unfortunate for you, I'm glad I could get a GPU for the price I did. Anything over MSRP is what most have been paying for a long time.

I'm a sucker for these MIR. I know.

Purchase #2: Part #3: (Motherboard) - MSI - X370 GAMING PRO CARBON
Price: $110 - After MIR.
Remaining Budget: $860

Nice deal again by the looks of it. Not really worried about the warranty, RMA usually takes too long, so fix shit myself, and glad i did, cos there is every likelihood of receiving another gpu with a shit application of thermal paste :D

Thread starter #44

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
Nice deal again by the looks of it. Not really worried about the warranty, RMA usually takes too long, so fix shit myself, and glad i did, cos there is every likelihood of receiving another gpu with a shit application of thermal paste :D
I suppose that's why you advised to invest in thermal paste.:D I'll need to look at the proper ways to apply it and how best to disassemble the GPU should I ever encounter a problem.

DZS

Survivor
Backer
My 7970 is Sapphire brand before Sapphire started making junky cards back when they were known as a gamers brand. Its been flashed with a modded bios and possibly was from a mining rig before i brought it. I flashed it myself. I know all about overheating cards, the card i had before my 7970 was a R9 280x. Never thought to reapply the heatpaste although i think i did flash a custom bios on it. One night i was playing Solus Project which supports res scaling as its a game meant for VR, i pushed the res scale way past 100% shortly into the game pc froze up on reboot no screen. Card was scorching, basically cooked it lol. Sucked, i think i fried a mosfet. Maybe fixable if i ever end up buying a decent solder iron. You prob know, the R9 280 is a rebadged 7970 maybe a few new features about all and was given a nice big price tag. My card was second hand still cost a bit. I'd take the 7xxx series anyday over the newer cards those old cards still rein supreme, only really lacking in vid ram. If i ever end up upgrading my vid card again will have to do some serious research, product quality standards is not what it once was. Hopefully EVGA is still good. You know whats funny? Psu mods for vid cards, ever seen that? Where people solder a psu to a vid card in order to gain higher voltage. That shits like mad lab stuff but it cracks me up. Great way to start a fire haha.

Last edited:

DZS

Survivor
Backer

DZS

Survivor
Backer
Sounds like something i'd do :p

Thread starter #48

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer

So. ... My GPU has arrived. I'm wondering whether I should open to see that it's in one piece still or simply send it back...

Moderator #49

strategos2411

Lead Moderator
Lead Mod
Backer

So. ... My GPU has arrived. I'm wondering whether I should open to see that it's in one piece still or simply send it back...
I'd contact Newegg and arrange a replacement, send that one back and say you don't want to open it/keep it as the box is damaged, show them that pic aswell. Check out their returns policy aswell https://kb.newegg.com/knowledge-base/return-policy/

Thread starter #50

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
It's a shame I cannot test the GPU to see whether it performs or not. That would make opening it less of a risk. It may look physically fine, but something internal could have been damaged.

Oh, and sadly I was hasty in purchasing two MSI products on sale with MIR.

Thread starter #51

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer

Purchase #3: Part #8: (PSU) - SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Price: $70 - After MIR.
Remaining Budget: $770

Thread starter #52

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer

Purchase #4: Part #5: (Storage) - Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Price: $55
Remaining Budget: $715

Thread starter #53

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer

Package #2 managed to weather the Atlantic Sea known as U.S. Shipping. Well done.

Disappointed it's not bubble wrap.

99% air and yet I can't use it as a flotation device. Lame.

They must really want me to shave...

I turn on professional mode on my camera at this point. As I'm not satisfied with the quality. Instant regret, but hey I have my motherboard.

This is as far as I'm going. No need to remove the static wrapping until I get the rest of it.

DZS

Survivor
Backer

Naw send it back, make them PAY! Sharks with lazer beams.

DZS

Survivor
Backer
Moderator #56

strategos2411

Lead Moderator
Lead Mod
Backer

Package #2 managed to weather the Atlantic Sea known as U.S. Shipping. Well done.

Disappointed it's not bubble wrap.

99% air and yet I can't use it as a flotation device. Lame.

They must really want me to shave...

I turn on professional mode on my camera at this point. As I'm not satisfied with the quality. Instant regret, but hey I have my motherboard.

This is as far as I'm going. No need to remove the static wrapping until I get the rest of it.
All the pics are showing as broken on my end :D

Thread starter #57

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer

(Cooler)

I told myself this morning I could order it this afternoon. I had queued up the cart and everything. SMH

(Ryzen 7 1700)

I might as well go ahead and buy the CPU. The lowest it ever got was 70 days ago at $199.99. I don't believe waiting for another ten dollar drop is worth it. The same can be said for the 970 Evo. Considering it was released just three months ago it won't likely see a dip in price for some time. The lowest it ever reached was $103 roughly two weeks ago.

(970 Evo)

Time to break the bank.

Thread starter #58

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
All the pics are showing as broken on my end :D
It seems they work fine on desktop, but are broken to mobile users. I haven't the faintest clue why...

Purchase #5: Part #1: (CPU) - AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3GHz 8-Core Processor
Part #5: (Storage) - Samsung - 970 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Price: $315
Remaining Budget: $400

Purchase #6:Part #9: (Monitor) - Dell - SE2717H 27.0" 1920x1080 75Hz Monitor
Price: $130
Remaining Budget: $270

I admit. This purchase was a bit of a splurge or sudden moment purchase. I was roped in by the savings damn it! But on a more serious note, I decided more or less that I do not need a gaming monitor. The difference is only milliseconds in the end, and that's not something I'm exactly worried about. I will not make my living off gaming and I have no intention of paying $200 just to win more in FPS than not. I also would prefer that my video quality is top notch in place of response time.

With this I am only three components away. Given the MasterLiquid Cooler($55), and G.Skill Trident Zs($160) I'm left with $75 roughly for the case. Debating whether to go over the $1200 budget for a decent keyboard or to wait and see if I can't get a discount/deal on one of the three components. It will be a matter of my patience vs my frugality. I fear my frugality will lose to a dwindling patience.​

Last edited:
Thread starter #59

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer

My impatience it seems is worth an additional $80. While over budgeted, I am happy to have finally gotten all the hardware ordered. I will not have to wait around for components to go on sale while I have 8/10 parts lying around in wait. I considered leaving the Liquid Cooler for an upgrade at a later time as it's main purpose is to make overclocking reliable. However, I felt removing it would essentially undo the original build.

Moving on, we have the all important matter of software. Windows 7 and 8.1 seem to both hover around the $100 range. With Windows 7 apparently seeing a more decent drop in price than usual. I'm conflicted on which to purchase as I'm accustomed to Win 7 and I imagine it doesn't have THAT many more holes and flaws than 8.1. I could be wrong however on that assumption, but either way I'm paying the same. Win 10 Home & Pro are close by as well. ($100 & $125) I'm considering Linux with the recent steam compatibility @DZS , but I'm uncertain of what all its capable of aside from gaming. I want something that can load videos, play ISOs/VNS, and surf the web reliably. Think you could give me a summary of the notable differences between Win and Linux Pros/Cons? I'm not a big user of most Windows programs. I'll use calculator, notepad, and adobe(to read pdf files) but other than that it doesn't get much use.

After OS all that remains is Anti-Virus/Security and editing software. For the former I'll be going with Kasperky as a friend of mine swears by it and I have always used a free antivirus for my PCs. @strategos2411 what do you use for editing and recording? I have an interest in making commentaries for games I play, but I don't intend to do much editing unless its simple and clean.

Last edited:
Moderator #60

strategos2411

Lead Moderator
Lead Mod
Backer

My impatience it seems is worth an additional $80. While over budgeted, I am happy to have finally gotten all the hardware ordered. I will not have to wait around for components to go on sale while I have 8/10 parts lying around in wait. I considered leaving the Liquid Cooler for an upgrade at a later time as it's main purpose is to make overclocking reliable. However, I felt removing it would essentially undo the original build.

Moving on, we have the all important matter of software. Windows 7 and 8.1 seem to both hover around the $100 range. With Windows 7 apparently seeing a more decent drop in price than usual. I'm conflicted on which to purchase as I'm accustomed to Win 7 and I imagine it doesn't have THAT many more holes and flaws than 8.1. I could be wrong however on that assumption, but either way I'm paying the same. Win 10 Home & Pro are close by as well. ($100 & $125) I'm considering Linux with the recent steam compatibility @DZS , but I'm uncertain of what all its capable of aside from gaming. I want something that can load videos, play ISOs/VNS, and surf the web reliably. Think you could give me a summary of the notable differences between Win and Linux Pros/Cons? I'm not a big user of most Windows programs. I'll use calculator, notepad, and adobe(to read pdf files) but other than that it doesn't get much use.

After OS all that remains is Anti-Virus/Security and editing software. For the former I'll be going with Kasperky as a friend of mine swears by it and I have always used a free antivirus for my PCs. @strategos2411 what do you use for editing and recording? I have an interest in making commentaries for games I play, but I don't intend to do much editing unless its simple and clean.

I use OBS for recording and streamlabs OBS for streaming, Sony Vegas Pro for editing, but its not cheap :D It worth looking into Voicemeeter aswell, for separating audio tracks, takes a lil bit of learning and trial and error to get shit right, plenty of YT and online tutorials though.

Win 10 natively supports mounting of isos, again though, I can't recommend Linux as I've never used it.

Glad to see you almost have all your parts, and $80 is $80 :)