• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Bob the Builder (PC Edition)

Can we build it?

• No we cannot!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DZS

Survivor
Backer
Hi Bchhog, you can view all currently supported Steam titles for Linux Steam OS here
https://store.steampowered.com/linux

Proton is quite interesting, hopefully it gets major support from Valve allowing most main stream pc games to work on Linux for the many that dev's may never add. Im guessing it might allow apps to work as well running it as a non steam game. Dunno would have to do some reading but it is worth looking into. I think its a bit premature to choose Steam Linux OS at present based on Proton its barely been publicly announced, i feel it needs more work yet. If there are only a small group of games you play Steam Linux might be ok but otherwise at the present moment you'd have to give up alot of games. Otherwise Linux is a great OS and has just about any counterpart app Windows does. As for Adobe bit out of luck Adobe dropped support for Linux some years ago, i can however recommend Gimp as an alternative to Photoshop. https://www.gimp.org/ https://www.zdnet.com/article/adobe-abandons-linux/ Much like M$ Adobe will eventually be left behind too as people become fed up with Windows and other options start to look interesting. Its good that your considering alts to windows, even if you do end up using Windows always keep your ear to the wind on future developments. I have no hesitation to jump off the Winblows ship as soon as gaming on Linux is a reality.

Windows 7 still holds its own its just that supports ending in 2020
http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/windows-7/windows-7-support-end-11364081315419

Last i saw Windows 7 is still the biggest market share in home users. Much like Win XP people will cling to it for years after support official ends. M$ are annoying how they do this, they want people to move to less secure junky OS's potentially costing more if subscription models have anything to do with it. I forsee M$ not surviving as a big company in the future and hanging on in corporate only. 8.1 isn't a bad option compared to Win 10 its more stream lined than 7 you just gotta modify it to make it functional cause people dont use their desktop pcs as tablets :D Also the Spyware stuff in it needs to be ripped out but that's easily done with a script from places like Source Forge.

Here's Ballmer again going insane

Last edited:
Thread starter #62

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
upload_2018-8-28_18-54-25.png

Seems unless my Ryzen 7 comes with an older CPU for flashing BIOS I'll only be able to install Win 10.

Scratch that. I just can't be sure whether it will work or without issues.

I'm conflicted on what to do.

Last edited:
Moderator #63

strategos2411

Lead Moderator
Lead Mod
Backer
View attachment 3168

Seems unless my Ryzen 7 comes with an older CPU for flashing BIOS I'll only be able to install Win 10.

Scratch that. I just can't be sure whether it will work or without issues.

I'm conflicted on what to do.
Personally, i'd just get windows 10. Windows 7 support is expected to end in around 2 years time, meaning no more updates, including security updates, unless there is a major breach found (happened in 2017 for Windows XP https://www.computerworld.com/artic...g-windows-xp-against-wannacry-ransomware.html)

Windows 10 is also planned to have ongoing support for quite some time - https://www.theverge.com/2015/5/7/8568473/windows-10-last-version-of-windows (this of course may change over time, but the chance of that happening in the next 5 years is pretty slim, as they push around 2 full updates each year, spring/autumn)

With the amount of storage space you have though, there's only cost stopping you from having a dual OS system, so you could have Win 10 and Win 7, or Win 7 and Linux, or Win 10 and Linux installed at the same time :D

Thread starter #64

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
With the amount of storage space you have though, there's only cost stopping you from having a dual OS system, so you could have Win 10 and Win 7, or Win 7 and Linux, or Win 10 and Linux installed at the same time :D
=S I didn't know that was even possible. Will have to look into a Win 10/Linux dual system. One for gaming and the other browsing/media.

DZS

Survivor
Backer
Oh yeah you can dual boot just its a hassle say if anything goes wrong with either install. Thats how many people have used Linux for years, its mostly pretty safe. Ideally it'd be best to just use Linux for all needs im hearing more about Proton lately might switch in the near future. Win7 is a dead end, Win 10 yeah nah lol.

Thread starter #66

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
I got jipped on the return it seems. They received the package, yet apparently do not have anymore RX 580s of that type as they decided to refund me. The thing is, it was a combo deal that came with $150 worth of games. What do they do? They reduce the refund by the $150 so I only get $100 back. I didn't even want the damn games and had no intention of playing them.

The real kicker is, the RX 580 that they claim they cannot replace is still on sale. This is blatant swindling and I'm more than unhappy about it.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137118&cm_re=rx_580-_-14-137-118-_-Product

upload_2018-8-31_17-15-31.png

Thread starter #67

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
I just got an invoice for a refund of the games. I'm not certain of why they're refunding instead of replacing, but if I can receive the full amount back I won't really mind all that much. Time to see about getting a RX 580 from elsewhere.

Moderator #68

strategos2411

Lead Moderator
Lead Mod
Backer
I just got an invoice for a refund of the games. I'm not certain of why they're refunding instead of replacing, but if I can receive the full amount back I won't really mind all that much. Time to see about getting a RX 580 from elsewhere.
If you don't get all of your money back do a chargeback request from your bank/paypal or however you paid, and give them all the info, most of the time you receive your full money back

Thread starter #69

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
If you don't get all of your money back do a chargeback request from your bank/paypal or however you paid, and give them all the info, most of the time you receive your full money back
I paid via Paypal, but have yet to see any activity on my account. I'm not sure if it will take some time to process or if there has been a delay. Will give it a day or so before I do anything. A bit of a shame as I only need my GPU to finish the build. With any luck I can catch an RX 580 for cheaper during Labor Day.

Thread starter #70

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer

Little update. I'm unsure on whether or not I got my refund. Paypal still has not been updated, but it may have been processed through my bank. Regardless, I have enough money on hand to go ahead and purchase another GPU. The prices of which have not really dropped all that much.(Not very surprised.) The MSI Armor I originally purchased is sitting at $250 with a MIR for $20. However, having purchased an MSI Mobo as well I can only redeem one MIR with the company. Making the $20 saved non-existent.

I'm not incredibly impressed by the MSI Armor given its clock rate, price, and lack of back plate. I did a bit of reading on back plates and despite manufacturer claims of assisting with cooling, the back plate should have no purpose what so ever outside aesthetics and maybe support.(There was mention of card sag. I'm unsure of how this affects longevity, but it may be worth considering.)The MSI Armor is the only X580 I've found without one aside from the ASUS X580 currently on sale. ($240)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126199

Giving longevity priority as a result of over budgeting I'm reviewing my choice in GPU. The line or series of GPU I'm looking at, the X580, is a mid tier product. With a $200-$300 range typically outside mining inflation. (Cheapest still on Amazon&Newegg.) That in mind I'm okay with getting to the higher limits of the $300 range if it will mean a better card. There's not much sense in getting an MSI Armor for $250 if it will need to be replaced within two years or can't compete with future gen GPU. The 1366Mhz OC is a far step from the 1500+Mhz OC of the AMD VEGAs and Nividia's RTXs.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAD2C5MM4711

In the interest of longevity and performance I'm really partial to going with the XFX GTS Black Edition. ($300 - $20MIR -T: $280) Sitting at the top of the price range for X580 GPU or at least the one I'm comfortable with. It doesn't look to be a terrible card as far as design and performance go. (1425Mhz OC & Custom Back Plate) It also doesn't have LED or RGB aesthetics which hike up the price for little purpose outside of PC Enthusiasts. From the reviews it seems they are vulnerable to DOA and malfunctioning/dying within the first few months. But from reading all the reviews on Newegg of the various GPU, that seems to be a thing for GPU in general. One mentioned there was compatibility issues with Adobe, I assume Adobe Premiere, but I don't see that being an issue with me.

Which, brings me to the final bit of this "short" update. I intend to go with Linux for the time being, and will purchase Windows 10 at a later time. Looking into the OS it seems Linux is capable of most everyday things. Which I do a lot more of than gaming. My taste in games also tends to be more story rich, indie, and less mainstream or FPS which are the major black areas for Linux. I also have an interest in learning what all would be required to port STN over to a Linux system. Maybe take the initiative to get the gears rolling toward that depending.

In conclusion, I'm likely going to buy the XFX GTS Black in place of the MSI Armor OC. The extra cost being worth it for longevity and performance. In place of Windows I'll start with Linux and go with a Dual OS at a later time. Maybe when it's cheaper or I have a better grasp on Linux and what all it cannot provide that I need.

Last edited:
Thread starter #73

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
A quick question as I test out my parts and assemble the tower. Should I only apply the Arctic Silver Thermal Compound only if my GPU suffers from overheating/issues? I don't exactly want to be messing with a $300 component that I know nothing about and voiding the warranty on it at the same time...

Moderator #74

strategos2411

Lead Moderator
Lead Mod
Backer
A quick question as I test out my parts and assemble the tower. Should I only apply the Arctic Silver Thermal Compound only if my GPU suffers from overheating/issues? I don't exactly want to be messing with a $300 component that I know nothing about and voiding the warranty on it at the same time...
Yeah, just leave your gpu just now, as its still under warranty. If in a few years it starts to hit higher temps, then you can clean it out and change the thermal compound, but i'd advise cleaning out the PC at least once a year, including the gpu fans and fins

Thread starter #75

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
Yeah, just leave your gpu just now, as its still under warranty. If in a few years it starts to hit higher temps, then you can clean it out and change the thermal compound, but i'd advise cleaning out the PC at least once a year, including the gpu fans and fins
Will do. Additionally. Should I use the Arctic Silver paste for my CPU or use what comes with the Masterliquid 240. I favor the tube that comes with it atm as I want to imagine that it offers better compatibility with the cooling system.

Following this video currently. I feel testing the parts beforehand is the right thing to do. Consulting manuals where necessary.

I should probably give this a watch too.

Moderator #76

strategos2411

Lead Moderator
Lead Mod
Backer
Will do. Additionally. Should I use the Arctic Silver paste for my CPU or use what comes with the Masterliquid 240. I favor the tube that comes with it atm as I want to imagine that it offers better compatibility with the cooling system.

Following this video currently. I feel testing the parts beforehand is the right thing to do. Consulting manuals where necessary.

I should probably give this a watch too.

Check the net for comparisons in temps for CoolerMasters supplied paste and the arctic, the stuff they supply doesn't necessarily mean more compatibility

Thread starter #77

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
Check the net for comparisons in temps for CoolerMasters supplied paste and the arctic, the stuff they supply doesn't necessarily mean more compatibility
Going by this article, it would seem that Arctic Silver compound is better by some odd 5 degrees. A marginal difference, but one that could mean the difference between overheating and not given any issues. Believe I'll use the Mastergel to test the cooler, and then once I know it works apply the Arctic Silver. General rubbing alcohol should remove most paste correct?

Moderator #78

strategos2411

Lead Moderator
Lead Mod
Backer
Going by this article, it would seem that Arctic Silver compound is better by some odd 5 degrees. A marginal difference, but one that could mean the difference between overheating and not given any issues. Believe I'll use the Mastergel to test the cooler, and then once I know it works apply the Arctic Silver. General rubbing alcohol should remove most paste correct?
I use isopropyl alcohol 90% or higher