• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Bob the Builder (PC Edition)

Can we build it?

• No we cannot!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thread starter #82

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
It would seem I made a grave error. The MasterLiquid sockets for AM4 are rather wonky. So I fiddled around with them in securing it before applying paste. Only to realize that there are subtle scratches on the copper of the liquid cooler.

To make matters worse, I'm having difficulty removing the GPU from the motherboard. I'm not certain as to how to proceed...

Moderator #83

strategos2411

Lead Moderator
Lead Mod
Backer
It would seem I made a grave error. The MasterLiquid sockets for AM4 are rather wonky. So I fiddled around with them in securing it before applying paste. Only to realize that there are subtle scratches on the copper of the liquid cooler.

To make matters worse, I'm having difficulty removing the GPU from the motherboard. I'm not certain as to how to proceed...

Sorry for the late response, timezones! The light scratches won't make a difference, make sure you give the copper a clean with the cloth and alcohol and allow to dry, the thermal application is more important, and should be evenly covering the cpu, this will give the correct contact/layer between the cpu and the copper.

In what way are you having issues removing the gpu?Are you using the little release clip on the pci slot?

Thread starter #84

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
Sorry for the late response, timezones! The light scratches won't make a difference, make sure you give the copper a clean with the cloth and alcohol and allow to dry, the thermal application is more important, and should be evenly covering the cpu, this will give the correct contact/layer between the cpu and the copper.

In what way are you having issues removing the gpu?Are you using the little release clip on the pci slot?
That's the best news I've had today. Had to work late at concessions, games were running an hour and a half late. I believe I've cleaned it as best as I can. There's still a very light film to the top of the CPU, to where you can tell it isn't brand new, but beyond that all the old compound is gone.

I got it last night. I was not using the release clip, and had the GPU halfway out of the slot so it was completely atop the clip on one side. Managed to even it out and eventually move the clip so I could take it out.

After that I had issues with installing the motherboard. Everywhere I was reading said I needed standoffs. The RL06 didn't come with any at first, but I noticed there were 6 already installed on the case with three more if necessary. I had to force the last one in, and afterward I still wasn't sure if I was using the right screws. The manual for the case is absolute garbage if you are a novice builder. Nothing in there about what screws to put where. I had to infer the right size by taking the additional standoffs and matching them up with each screw. All of them were too small except for one, and I had over 9 of those. (Need 9 for the entire Mobo.)

They still don't seem right, nor all that secure after I put them in this morning. Not that I think the mobo will fall out, but I'm concerned whether or not they will insure the right connections. I'm also leery of working on it anymore, as certain parts and procedures you must be very careful with. (Cleaning GPU, Handling Mobo, Pressing in Memory/Gpu) And then others you need to be more forceful. (Screws & Power Plugs)

Going to take the next 30 minutes to rest and cool off so I don't accidently drop a bead of sweat and fry the entire mobo. Advice, tips, and assistance are welcome. If you have the time, I'll hit you with a DM on Discord for real time updates.

Me last night at 2am having not installed anything into my Tower.

Moderator #85

strategos2411

Lead Moderator
Lead Mod
Backer
That's the best news I've had today. Had to work late at concessions, games were running an hour and a half late. I believe I've cleaned it as best as I can. There's still a very light film to the top of the CPU, to where you can tell it isn't brand new, but beyond that all the old compound is gone.

I got it last night. I was not using the release clip, and had the GPU halfway out of the slot so it was completely atop the clip on one side. Managed to even it out and eventually move the clip so I could take it out.

After that I had issues with installing the motherboard. Everywhere I was reading said I needed standoffs. The RL06 didn't come with any at first, but I noticed there were 6 already installed on the case with three more if necessary. I had to force the last one in, and afterward I still wasn't sure if I was using the right screws. The manual for the case is absolute garbage if you are a novice builder. Nothing in there about what screws to put where. I had to infer the right size by taking the additional standoffs and matching them up with each screw. All of them were too small except for one, and I had over 9 of those. (Need 9 for the entire Mobo.)

They still don't seem right, nor all that secure after I put them in this morning. Not that I think the mobo will fall out, but I'm concerned whether or not they will insure the right connections. I'm also leery of working on it anymore, as certain parts and procedures you must be very careful with. (Cleaning GPU, Handling Mobo, Pressing in Memory/Gpu) And then others you need to be more forceful. (Screws & Power Plugs)

Going to take the next 30 minutes to rest and cool off so I don't accidently drop a bead of sweat and fry the entire mobo. Advice, tips, and assistance are welcome. If you have the time, I'll hit you with a DM on Discord for real time updates.
Gna be busy tonight for a few hours, best advice i can give is google and watch YT vids, see the work actually being done, even if the build isn't exactly the same, alot of the connections and stuff are all very similar. With the screws, just make sure that you don't short anything if they are touching something they shouldn't be, but as long as you have them lined up right, you should be ok. Feel free to hit me up on Discord though, i'll respond when i can, if you can send pics aswell while querying stuff it'll make it easier for me :D

DZS

Survivor
Backer

[/spoiler]
Hey m8 sounds like your having some troubles. Pretty crappy these days what you get with cases. All i do for standoffs is secure them in with a pair of pliers, long nosed work ok. Yeah with those standoffs you gotta find fitting screws, what you really need is a bag of screws. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...omputer_screws_kit-_-9SIAAD04RK2044-_-Product For standoffs if you dont tighten them in well they will unscrew when you try to unscrew a fitting screw. That can be alot of fun removing a motherboard from a crappy case lol. Ive had all sorts. Its important the mobo is secured in properly as it can flex which overtime can cause damage. You can also get rubber prop ups which provide additional support underneath the board. They usually stick on with glue undersides. Yeah i get that about manuals, cases never have had great manuals. Im very careful about buying cases these days there really is some junk around. Silverstone is a good brand last i heard.

Notice the large thumb screws, their great for securing case sides without needing a screw driver. Screws are my life blood without them i wouldn't be a pc tech. Dont lose heart its all a learning process. I once got to the point of kicking my pc after spending 2 days trying everything to make it boot. Turned out my pci-e vid card wasn't seated right. I felt like complete derp after that lol. With pulling GPU's apart you just gotta go slow work out where everything is interconnected. It can be easy to break stuff on cards like fans and plastic bits. You'll get there, and once you know what to do you'll never forget. PCS are much like cars. With inserting ram, the best method is once you have the sticks lined up in the socket the correct way around 'check the notches' place both your thumbs or next finger on either end and firmly but not forcefully push down on both ends of the stick it should clip in. If you are in doubt check it lined up correctly just pop it out pressing the clips out and do it again theres no harm in checking. Sometimes ram slots are badly designed where the sticks are very tight to slot in, thats where you have to be a bit more careful maybe use a bit more force. Again if the motherboard is firmly secured in it helps here. You want to avoid any sort of cracks on the motherboard, once a circuit trace is stuffed mobo's kaput. Ive seen snapped ram notches too where someones been a bit too rough lol, they still work though just sticks likely to pop out if they get bumped. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless your gonna go full terminator on them haha. Most modern mobos can take some abuse so dont stress.

DZS

Survivor
Backer
Gna be busy tonight for a few hours, best advice i can give is google and watch YT vids, see the work actually being done, even if the build isn't exactly the same, alot of the connections and stuff are all very similar. With the screws, just make sure that you don't short anything if they are touching something they shouldn't be, but as long as you have them lined up right, you should be ok. Feel free to hit me up on Discord though, i'll respond when i can, if you can send pics aswell while querying stuff it'll make it easier for me :D
Do you run tutorials on driving cars into the ocean?