• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Books?

Sam00197

Sam '00197' Monahan
Backer
I think if books were integrated into a subtle skill system it would be good.

Fabulous Joker

The Man with a Crazy Smile
Backer
I would love see custom made books by players ( skins )

Admin #4

JB_

Developer
Developer

Davz Not Here

Backer
2nd the idea .....

having grown up with the pen and paper D&D, Ultima, and specifically The Elder Scrolls (i remember when "Arena" first hit the game store shelves) ..... i have always loved the addition of books ..... and the folks from the elder scrolls took it and ran with it .....

it would be great to find them (readable) in game

EDIT:

and OMFG would i love to have a hand (or underwood typewriter) in writing some of these

Chris "Cr1t1cal Reaper"

Call me Reaper
Backer
Me and my friend once found a bible in DayZ, and then we ran around and read passages for random people, so funny!
I think books is a must, that way you could even make your own library maybe!? :D

Moderator #7

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Community Mod
Backer
Me and my friend once found a bible in DayZ, and then we ran around and read passages for random people, so funny!
I think books is a must, that way you could even make your own library maybe!? :D
Did the same thing with "Origin of Species" Charles Darwin. :D

Sam00197

Sam '00197' Monahan
Backer
We used to go around knocking people out, hide all their things and leave them with just a bible

Moderator #9

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Community Mod
Backer
I like the idea of potentially putting a very slight multiplier (if that is kind of how the leveling system eventually works) to books. Mechanic books, carpentry, etc. Maybe give a +0.25 to leveling in that area.

Sam00197

Sam '00197' Monahan
Backer
I like the idea of potentially putting a very slight multiplier (if that is kind of how the leveling system eventually works) to books. Mechanic books, carpentry, etc. Maybe give a +0.25 to leveling in that area.
or having it so physically reading the book was a thing you had to do, the longer you read it the more you learn. A limit to how much each page increases and you have to spend the average reading time of a normal person to read the page

Vongrimm

Survivor
Backer
Slight necro here, but my post was locked due to me being rubbish at searching keywords! Having read through i feel i can add something of value to the book/learning discussion.

Something that i have always thought would be key in an apocolypse scenario - no power, no internet - the only way you are learning new skills is by practice and research in books.

This would give the devs an oppurtunity to add some interesting items to the game and also provide a night time activity for those too afraid to venture outside!

The books shouldn't give you the ability to do something other players can't, more improve that quality of what you are doing albeit crafting, fishing or cooking etc. The key word for me is proficiency!

Examples:

Book title: Got game?
Author: B.R Smithson
Description: A hunters cookery book, explaining the ways and means of butchering game.
Read time: 30 mins
Result: +2 meat and hide gained from butchering animals

Title: An idiots guide to carpentry
Author: C. Taylor
Description: A beginners guide to DIY level carpentry for minor residental repairs and improvements.
Read time: 20 mins
Result: increased construction speed on wooden fortifications.

These books could have multiple levels, each having increased reading times amd requiring the previous book to have been read, with the results being more substantial as you advance.

Unlike other games, being able to start, stop and resume each book would be better than having to sit and "read" for 30 mins solid. Equally as mentioned, it could provide nuturing to your mental state.

Sorry for the long post!

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
What about the dyslexic?

I like the idea of leaning through books and being mentored by another, but I've said that somewhere else.

Corban Dallas

Maybe have a reading slot so you can only 'read' one book at a time, you keep it on you and it slowly increases your skill in the topic of the book until you read the whole book. could find them at the school and in some houses. Maybe reading happens mostly at night? And the pressence of zombies slows it so you can learn faster if you are more secure.

WiseManNero

A fire breathn' muthertf***ing dragon
Backer
Maybe have a reading slot so you can only 'read' one book at a time, you keep it on you and it slowly increases your skill in the topic of the book until you read the whole book. could find them at the school and in some houses. Maybe reading happens mostly at night? And the pressence of zombies slows it so you can learn faster if you are more secure.
perhaps a mild sanity boost i know i feel pretty damn chill with a book in my hands

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
perhaps a mild sanity boost i know i feel pretty damn chill with a book in my hands
I don't think we'll have books in the game at release, or even notes from other survivors.
But having a means of escape from the zombie nightmare (perhaps in a book by the fire overnight), or a note you could find from another survivor letting you know you were not alone would (I hope) increase your sanity. [As long as you're not reading the Walking Dead novels, of course!]

Last edited:

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
I think (based on the map) there's at least one school on the island at Addersfield. Again, I don't think we'll be getting books or notes in the Alpha, but that may be a place to find them.
Anyone know if we have a library on Black Island?
I do rather like the idea of one (or more) reading slots, but they'd have to be in the player journal ... that might require a bit of a code re-write?

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Thought of an idea for the books, instead of just reading... make it so we can cut out space for a weapon like a pistol/knife, maybe even supplies to be hidden inside.

LUDER

Mighty God of Zimbabwe
Community Mod
Backer
Adding books in which there would be a bunch of recipes like "Everything meaty" "Chicken dinner tonight". They would each have different recipes, this idea is currently only for food but other books could be added for traps etc.

You would still be able to craft recipes without the books but they would give an advantage to crafting like 25% or 50% for having the book. There would be different books with different recipes like the examples I mentioned above. There could also be torn out pages with a few recipes on them instead of a whole book.

This would be a cool way of having the recipes in-game while not making them locked behind a item wall, but also worth picking up.

Recipes examples:
Combining Fresh Mushroom with Chopped Tomatoes, Sliced Carrots and some Venison Meat for an amazing filling meal!

Combining Jumbo Sausage with Canned Spaghetti, Spinach Leaf, Fresh Mushroom and Chicken Meat for an amazing late night spaghetti dish!

Combining Ramen Soup with Dried Spaghetti, Sardines and Tuna Chunks

Last edited: