• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Bridges or Harbous

Add unpassable bridges and/or harbours?

• Total voters
Thread starter #1

Peterowsky

A Heroic Engineer
Backer
(I don't believe that those pieces of infrastructure have been suggested yet, but if they were I apologise. I didn't see any topics on this in the "buildings" section.)

No matter how small and/or insignificant an area is, if it contains moderate amounts of population there must be a quick, reliable way to get to it. I've heard rumours that the game map will be set on an island, so it would make sense if there was at least one large harbour and/or bridge leading to the mainland.
Bridges and harbours would be of vital importance. During the outbreak, these locations would be crucial to evacuation. However, the army/government would definitely place some sort of militarised force at those locations, to process evacuees and to hold off infected individuals (zombies or people who haven't turned yet).
Those locations should have plenty of items to scavenge, rare loot and should be totally infested with hordes upon hordes of zombies. Without proper preparation, walking into those zones should be classified as suicide. Past military or otherwise armed presence would provide a chance to encounter rare weapons (not neccesarily military - those would've been looted earlier, or were taken by the retreating army). Since so much population would have tried to escape through a harbour or bridge, a lot of broken down vehicles and loot could be found laying around.
To prevent players from escaping, the Bridge could be blocked off or destroyed at some point, while the harbour could just be empty of working watercraft.

L4D2 Bridge.jpg
Bridge - Courtesy of Left 4 Dead 2

Thread starter #3

Peterowsky

A Heroic Engineer
Backer
I don't believe that there should just be a bridge leading off the map, but there should be bridges leading over rivers and the like. I think that that's a given, really.
It won't lead off the map, it will be inaccessible past some point. It would make a good loot area, with high-risk and high-reward.

TheDwemerComrade

Backer
It won't lead off the map, it will be inaccessible past some point. It would make a good loot area, with high-risk and high-reward.
Well then I don't see the point of it being blocked off unless it leads from a huge city to the countryside or something.
It's also unsafe to assume where the island will be. It might well be in the middle of the ocean.

Thread starter #5

Peterowsky

A Heroic Engineer
Backer
Well then I don't see the point of it being blocked off unless it leads from a huge city to the countryside or something.
It's also unsafe to assume where the island will be. It might well be in the middle of the ocean.
The bridge would lead from the island, to the mainland. Government forces would seal it off as infection becomes unstoppable. However, fantastic point with the ocean theory, I haven't thought of that :D!

M_Dawg

Officially Awesome
Backer
This is great maybe we can get some car spawns too.

images.jpg

Last edited:

Lt Snake X

ParaMedic
Backer
I approve maybe even have a couple cars like smashed together so makes it a little harder to pass but not cars that are useable just models like wrecked beyond repair

gamejunkie25th

Backer
Vehicles can only be repaired to a point... Some of the vehicles would probably be wedged together or the frames bent to sh**... Cars may have also exploded or caught fire... But an impassible bridge would be a good loot spot... Dead end where you could easily be cornered by a large group of zombies or players...

Lt Snake X

ParaMedic
Backer
I was going for more of wreckage time angle so people cant just fly by on a truck but actually slow down and maneuver but also it be a good loot spot like he said and i dont mean do it on every bridge
but like this

gamejunkie25th

Backer
I was going for more of wreckage time angle so people cant just fly by on a truck but actually slow down and maneuver but also it be a good loot spot like he said and i dont mean do it on every bridge
but like this
Yeah... Id only like an impassible bridge if it was maybe destroyed at the middle by the military

Lt Snake X

ParaMedic
Backer
Yeah... Id only like an impassible bridge if it was maybe destroyed at the middle by the military
Make it realistic like
i wasnt stating i was wanting impassible bridge on that fact i dont want one i just want the debris and wreckage around it but to the point id still be able to pass it in a vehicle if need be and you dont have to reply to yourself you can go edit your posts

Thread starter #14

Peterowsky

A Heroic Engineer
Backer
You could enter the bridge, and drive/walk to some point. Then you would have to dismount and walk the rest of the way, as burned down vehicles, debris, and other obstacles come in the way. After a while, you come upon either a gigantic barricade put up by the government, or upon a fully demolished and impassable part of the bridge. At that point, rare loot could be found however the area would be totally full of zombies. Harbours would work in a similar way.
If you're a fan of DayZ, think of the harbour/bridge as North West Airfield, but with hordes upon hordes of zombies.