• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Buddy spawn system

Should the buddy spawn be implemented.

• Total voters
Thread starter #1
Basically how a buddy spawn system would work.. You would three friends join together in a group, prior to joining a server. When the group leader joins in with buddy spawn, you all join the the proximity within that server. Maybe a quarter mile or so. I only say four people because it would have a very unfair advantage if an organized clan of 16 people joined in all at once and were to over power any individuals that they are to come across at the start. If you wish to meet up with your clan, or larger than 4 people groups you can, but buddy spawning with more than four people, I say is a no go.
Rules for buddy spawn system
  1. Cannot join in buddy spawn queue if already spawned in that server/it will ask you to delete your character if you wish to continue.
  2. Four is the maximum number that buddy spawn system can service in a group.
  3. It requires at least two people. (Obviously)
  4. You spawn with zero items as a group (Not sure if you will spawn with any items.) This would be some kind of penalty for having a large group to start with so that individuals could be over powered.
  5. The spawn duration is a ten minute period or so. This is to balance the load times between other buddies or yourself.
  6. If you miss the duration period the spawning system will spawn you as an individual, and will mark you as a buddy, but will not spawn you with your group.
  7. If you or your buddie(s) die, they can not spawn off a group member. Buddy spawn is only initially for the spawn duration.
I would like to see this implemented in to the game. I mean why not? I know that survival games are suppose to be harsh and unforgiving, but it's a unique feature that I've never seen anyone else do. I Love DayZ, and I've played loads of survival games.. I've even played my fair share of WarZ for a long time. None of the survival games that I've played has had a system implemented like this, so it would be interesting to see how this would work out. Not to mention, this gives new players an enjoyable experience when first playing with friends! My first experience in DayZ was horrible playing with friends. I've played ArmaII before playing the DayZ mod, and it was interesting to see Cherno turn into a zombie infested world, but it was terrible playing with friends who have never played ArmaII and did not know their way around the map. All in all, we spent countless hours finding each other, and as soon as we did, we died.

So tell me what you guys in the community think, I would also Love to see some mods. or devs. give their output, because this feature could make the game. When people mention this game, this feature will come to mind, and people will love this feature, no doubt about it. Also, if you guys like it, but think the rules need a little tweaking, be more than happy to give your input.

Last edited:
Moderator #2

Alexander Matthews

M0d3rat0r
Community Mod
Backer
I would like to see this finally implemented into a game such as this. It would of been really helpful to have this in other similar games (ISS) but they passed up the opportunity. I also agree with what's said here with that it gives the player a unique experience in gaming with your clan, or group of friends that you wish. Instead of having to spend at least an hour (depending on map size) maybe longer trying to establish a connection with your group. The idea that holds a queue is a great idea so the whole implementation is NOT abused. Also maybe an idea to go along with this that institutes buddies can not join off the host if the player has entered a combat situation. I'm sure that would seem unfair if someone just spawned on another person to kill you.

Thread starter #6
Seems that the devs. are willing to put perma-death in to effect. It just fits the game better. I'd prefer it, and i'm sure most of the community prefers it in the game. Anyone else see any over powered loops in this system?

peterpiper007

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?
Backer
The thing is... if clans were to use it - and they would - and placement were only a quarter mile or so apart across an already limited initial spawn area (I'm assuming it'll be like DayZ in this regard, where everyone spawns in along a relatively small starting area), then it would be nothing for sixteen people to get onto Skype or Ventrillo and very quickly navigate to each other with less trouble than if the system weren't in place. In that regard, solo players would be at a major strategic and practical disadvantage. (if I'm wrong about an initial and relatively small spawning area preset on the map, then this main critique is practically moot and I'd be much happier.)

What I mean is, if the very conceivable 16-person clans would quickly be able to decimate whatever loot was available within the starting areas, they would be more capable of moving into more advanced areas or against established players very quickly. I had mentioned in another post that the minute large coalitions happen it would be easiest if clans 'rotate out' the killing of solo players to mitigate the mentality system while insuring maximum PVP looting. And of course, such groups would already benefit from the human/social aspect of being with so many other players. It adds to an already delicate balancing issue with the mentality system, which is the ONE aspect of this game which has overwhelmingly set it apart from all others.

However, as you point out, if those 4-16 players are spending time and effort constantly trying to locate each other at start-up, then other players and groups will have a more balanced chance of survival. The all-important mentality system would be more secure against 'kill-rotation' exploitation; which will likely be an issue no matter what we do....

That said, it's a fricken' genius and elegant notion and would make for a very interesting game mechanic - don't get me wrong! But it is a mechanic traditional to classic PVP FPS games for a reason; teams always spawn-in together in Battlefield or Call of Duty, and I would hate to be reminded of those games while playing this one. But that's only my opinion, and I can also see the merits of your idea in both survival and role-play terms. I've given you a like for the awesomeness of the idea and will wait to vote on the poll until others have had a chance to correct me if I'm wrong about the spawning system. Cheers!

Thread starter #8
The thing is... if clans were to use it - and they would - and placement were only a quarter mile or so apart across an already limited initial spawn area (I'm assuming it'll be like DayZ in this regard, where everyone spawns in along a relatively small starting area), then it would be nothing for sixteen people to get onto Skype or Ventrillo and very quickly navigate to each other with less trouble than if the system weren't in place. In that regard, solo players would be at a major strategic and practical disadvantage. (if I'm wrong about an initial and relatively small spawning area preset on the map, then this main critique is practically moot and I'd be much happier.)

What I mean is, if the very conceivable 16-person clans would quickly be able to decimate whatever loot was available within the starting areas, they would be more capable of moving into more advanced areas or against established players very quickly. I had mentioned in another post that the minute large coalitions happen it would be easiest if clans 'rotate out' the killing of solo players to mitigate the mentality system while insuring maximum PVP looting. And of course, such groups would already benefit from the human/social aspect of being with so many other players. It adds to an already delicate balancing issue with the mentality system, which is the ONE aspect of this game which has overwhelmingly set it apart from all others.

However, as you point out, if those 4-16 players are spending time and effort constantly trying to locate each other at start-up, then other players and groups will have a more balanced chance of survival. The all-important mentality system would be more secure against 'kill-rotation' exploitation; which will likely be an issue no matter what we do....

That said, it's a fricken' genius and elegant notion and would make for a very interesting game mechanic - don't get me wrong! But it is a mechanic traditional to classic PVP FPS games for a reason; teams always spawn-in together in Battlefield or Call of Duty, and I would hate to be reminded of those games while playing this one. But that's only my opinion, and I can also see the merits of your idea in both survival and role-play terms. I've given you a like for the awesomeness of the idea and will wait to vote on the poll until others have had a chance to correct me if I'm wrong about the spawning system. Cheers!
Very well written Peter. Very nice outlook on it. Hopefully the spawning system will not be anything like DayZ. It was very boring spawning in places and knowing what buildings to raid for loot at which cities. It made exploring a no, no in most of my experiences in DayZ. Also I could see the playing out quite nicely, if there were a dynamic spawning system in Survive The Nights. I could see the game acting more like Rust. The only major thing to go off in Rust were landmarks. You had a map online sure, but it took an expert player to actually read the map and know how to spot these landmarks. The loot spawn map and the fact that Arma II was a simulator was very bogus.

Now that being said... Depending on how the game is laid out, they could do it. Let's lay out some conditions.
  1. Dynamic spawning system.
  2. Dynamic loot system.
  3. A somewhat unpredictable map.
  4. Player groups spawn dynamically.
I mean, to do all of this the team would need to code difficult algorithms. It can be done, but it would be hard to get correct. Not to mention they would have to put it through intensive testing.

All in all you have some pretty good points man, not gonna lie. Me personally I'm backing my idea. Cheers!X2

Moderator #9

Alexander Matthews

M0d3rat0r
Community Mod
Backer
Very well written Peter. Very nice outlook on it. Hopefully the spawning system will not be anything like DayZ. It was very boring spawning in places and knowing what buildings to raid for loot at which cities. It made exploring a no, no in most of my experiences in DayZ. Also I could see the playing out quite nicely, if there were a dynamic spawning system in Survive The Nights. I could see the game acting more like Rust. The only major thing to go off in Rust were landmarks. You had a map online sure, but it took an expert player to actually read the map and know how to spot these landmarks. The loot spawn map and the fact that Arma II was a simulator was very bogus.

Now that being said... Depending on how the game is laid out, they could do it. Let's lay out some conditions.
  1. Dynamic spawning system.
  2. Dynamic loot system.
  3. A somewhat unpredictable map.
  4. Player groups spawn dynamically.
I mean, to do all of this the team would need to code difficult algorithms. It can be done, but it would be hard to get correct. Not to mention they would have to put it through intensive testing.

All in all you have some pretty good points man, not gonna lie. Me personally I'm backing my idea. Cheers!X2

What STN might be able to develop later on is a random gen idea for mapping. Which is what 7DtD has done and the spawn system works out great. That way spawning will always be a different area/location.

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
This is a really bad idea in my opinion.

Think of what would happen if you could pick a city to spawn in with 20 of your friends? Talk about raiding and killing everything in site! No Bambie or veteran survivor would be able to deal with that force. Random is best. Use team speak to talk to your friends and than meet up at a spot you can.

Thread starter #11
Well, that's why there are rules in place and the devs. would have to balance it out. One buddy spawn group could not spawn within a certain range from each other for instance, and the whole four person limit rule would balance this out nicely.

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
But who's to say that four team leaders don't spawn three of there buddies that's already 16 people? how can they track that. There is no way of tracking it. They cant do it if one of your friends does a buddy spawn you cannot because what if you aren't playing with them at the moment but did in the past? Way to OP.

Moderator #13

Alexander Matthews

M0d3rat0r
Community Mod
Backer
But who's to say that four team leaders don't spawn three of there buddies that's already 16 people? how can they track that. There is no way of tracking it. They cant do it if one of your friends does a buddy spawn you cannot because what if you aren't playing with them at the moment but did in the past? Way to OP.
I guess they really can't track that. Unfortunately you can just hope people don't use that ( which will be done ) so very nice argument.

Thread starter #14
They could track it and it could honestly go several ways, and there are ways to balance it. Yes it would be hard to, but all possible. Another rule written is that group members can not spawn in other parties.

To be honest, it's not like you're getting a major advantage over other players. If a clan with a big group size wanted to meet up with individual people, they're going to do it. If you want to spawn in with your buddies, it's no problem. Four people to spawn in is possibly too much. Maybe if they were to limit it to two people per spawn it would settle the balancing issues, but regardless, it's not as if I couldn't go get three of my buddies that own the game and tell them to hop on with me. Our characters have nothing on them, and other people would probably do the same. Also if you wanted to go in solo, you could! I'm not saying you have to play with friends, and by playing this way you create a harder environment for people to survive in by simply trying to avoid large groups, but it also just adds to the realistic setting of STN. In a scenario such as this, I would find friends that I already know in the world and party up with them before things went way to south. So to sum it all up... I don't see this as being something that is completely over powering, the fact that a team of four over power a solo survivor is just a given. Grouping of survivors are going to happen any way, it just gives you a different way to play the game with people.

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
@Fin852 I believe a two man buddy system is a little better than a four man, but unless they tag your friends list from steam and say pick on to spawn with and make it to where the other friends list doesn't spawn in the same area.

I do believe though that the Devs will hear these arguments and justifications and do the best they can to make this happen if they feel this is what the game needs!

This community rocks btw!

Thread starter #16
@NothingsTRUE Well it would be difficult to implement Steam friends unless they work directly with steam, and try to adhere to steams strict server rules. I could see them just simply creating their own friends list within the game. It's a lot more simpler.

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
@Fin852 than all you would have to do is not add your friends than you can spawn in a town with all of your friends. No way of monitoring it its OP. I spawn one friend than another guy spawns his friend and so on and so forth. but I like the Idea of 2 spawn.

Thread starter #18
@NothingsTRUE Are you going about that we actually pick a spawn? I don't understand... These spawns are suppose to be random. There a certain perimeters you can set, just as easily as loot to spawn to set parties far enough away from each other.

Let me explain it using a map. Bare in mind, all spawns are random. Now, also think of this as a totally different random spawn generation technique from DayZ, because DayZ spawns were horribly stupid. I only use Cherno for an example map.

unnamed.jpg

Now, notice the distance between each spawn, and take notice of the key. Now, with all of the rules set, this seems like a fair well though out spawning system for buddies. The distance between each buddy is somewhat a decent distance, and requires some work, but no so much work to where I don't even want to get in to the game, because I have to constantly keep killing myself to get a decent spawn close to my friend(s). For instance, if I were to run the distance between Cherno and Staroye, it would make playing the game undesirable to me because the reason I wish to play the game is the experience it with friends. Obviously the system changes drastically if the server population is higher, but that is true with any game. Under stand that if you were to spawn in with a buddy on these higher populated servers where chaos and war was rampant among the streets already, and you have nothing except your buddy, this goes a long way, possibly more than any gun, or any old hammer. It's not as if massive groups of people are spawning in right to each other and preying on bambis. If a system with certain parameters were to be set up, this would not happen at all. Sure, you may have one individual spawn in a city with a group system, and sure.... You may come across another group, but it is bound to happen anyway in the game, am I right? People will group up regardless of this system in place or not, but it also gives players who are poorly geared, a chance to take away from the monopolized power dogs, and make their survival rate go up a bit due to their buddies being around to watch their backs. The system works because there is not only just one person buddy spawning. You and your buddy could spawn in together. This makes the system work because everyone can do it, not just certain individuals, and who knows... There may be some servers that allow it, and some that don't. I think it's a feature that would need to be stress tested quite a bit to make sure it works, and if not working at first.. Must be tweaked. On paper, it looks great, but so did communism, and we all know how that turned out. Not saying there's anything wrong with commies, it's just a joke ;)