• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Building ownership

Thread starter #1

Zack Atkins

Backer
I think that being able to 'claim' your house would be cool. All i mean is that if your house was boarded up, no one could raid it while you were away. This would obviously only last so long, i.e. if you were off for a month then it would be 'unclaimed' but still there. With this idea you could choose to 'sleep' at this house and would act as a spawn point. Also a key system would be cool too for buildings and vehicles.

Just food for thought

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
Not a terrible idea, however It's likely that raiding will be an important part of the game. Some people enjoy it, others hate it. Having different servers to cater to both crowds would probably be a good idea, although this can be done as simply as PvP & PvE servers. After all, what's the point of a PvP server if you can't break into someone else's home?

It would be a great idea, but the way it would be implemented would be odd, but to add on/make it better, maybe you can still lock the doors and claim the house, but someone can still break in if they want your loot hard enough, they would need some sort of axe to break down the door. Or with the shotgun, they can shoot the hinges off the door.

Just an idea

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Do I remember from one of the videos showing the inside of a house some writing on a wall something like "Take what you need, leave what you don't"?

If you were to fortify a building enough, you could make it really hard for people to break in, and they might go looking elsewhere ...

I do like the idea of being to return to where you left off in game when you log out, so 'sleeping' certainly works for me.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
As for breaking into someones safe-house that should be if you have the tools, time and energy to-do so... I imagine the risk of drawing in zeds with noise will be pretty high and result in you probably running away wasting that time and energy, something like this should be something to seriously think about doing instead of just being a thief ;)

For ownership... this incorporates @Bchhog's "floor-plan" idea discussed (http://community.survivethenights.net/threads/have-no-map.6500/page-2#post-67536) in a way and the journal UI.... when it comes to you "claiming a building" it would require you to "make it safe"... so say to claim a building it would require you to go through a "process" showed in the UI as a "check list"... like clearing the rooms of zeds, making sure entrances/exits are secure/locked and is power supplied to the building... and after doing this it's now yours and shows a room/floor plan(s) of the building you own shown in your journal UI...

This is more to just give a visual representation of what you own and maybe where traps and equipment/appliances are...

Davz Not Here

Backer
i am fairly sure, there is a thread or 3, this thread should be merged with

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
i am fairly sure, there is a thread or 3, this thread should be merged with
Yea it's mainly discussed in here:http://community.survivethenights.net/threads/in-game-currency.747/page-16#post-62340
courtesy of montauk finding it.

Tons of good ideas, sure something can come of them...
One of these days I'll have to play brain surgeon and dissect that currency thread's posts, one of these days... :p

Having a sort of drawing of the building you've claimed (however that ends up working out) in your UI would be pretty cool. It could show which windows/doors are fortified (and how), locations of traps you've placed, and possibly even keep an inventory of what you have stashed at that location. I think the information here would have to be "manually" updated by being in the building and checking the various points of interest within. If you're out raiding somewhere and someone broke in/took things/set off traps it shouldn't just automatically update that information while you're away.

I think you should also have the option to choose whether or not this information is shown in your book inventory (which again should only be done while inside the building). It would add a sort of RP element to it should someone kill you or find your zombie-ridden corpse, they may or may not have found valuable information depending on what you've chosen to "write down" in your book. No idea how much effort that would take as far as development goes, but I like the idea!

Davz Not Here

Backer
It would add a sort of RP element to it should someone kill you or find your zombie-ridden corpse, they may or may not have found valuable information depending on what you've chosen to "write down" in your book. No idea how much effort that would take as far as development goes, but I like the idea!
BRILLIANT IDEA !!!!!

+1
+1
+1

WiseManNero

A fire breathn' muthertf***ing dragon
Backer
I think you should also have the option to choose whether or not this information is shown in your book inventory (which again should only be done while inside the building). It would add a sort of RP element to it should someone kill you or find your zombie-ridden corpse, they may or may not have found valuable information depending on what you've chosen to "write down" in your book. No idea how much effort that would take as far as development goes, but I like the idea!
hell yeah who knows trying to decipher someone's coded plans for the perfect rat burger could be fun+1