• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Buryable boxes

Thread starter #1

gamejunkie25th

Backer
@IqSoup suggested a way to have items even after you have been raided and killed...

I would like to suggest something like a safety deposit box that you can bury.... You would put it underground and would be able to come back at anytime dig it up and get the contents.... It would have very limited space... Just enough for a 9mm and some ammo or some food, water and a knife

Pros: Even after losing all of your stuff you could get some back

Cons: If someone else tried to bury their box where you hid yours they could access and steal things out of your box

Crazypineapple55

The Official Bus Driver
Backer
I like the idea, I would personally love to have a place to hide my stuff away from thieves. But I think they said somewhere that they weren't going to allow players dig or build into the environment. (except building onto existing ones.) Plus in a realism factor every time you die, you are a given a new life. So if you died your next character wouldn't know where your previous one buried it. And finally why would I ever have above ground chest if i could hav 50+ underground ones safe from looters. I do like the idea of having staches hidden in different locations but this system would need some balancing or to changed.

IqSoup

Backer
@IqSoup suggested a way to have items even after you have been raided and killed...

I would like to suggest something like a safety deposit box that you can bury.... You would put it underground and would be able to come back at anytime dig it up and get the contents.... It would have very limited space... Just enough for a 9mm and some ammo or some food, water and a knife

Pros: Even after losing all of your stuff you could get some back

Cons: If someone else tried to bury their box where you hid yours they could access and steal things out of your box
I certainly like that kind of idea although if it compromises the game's vision of survival then I guess its a no go. I for one don't think it does as long as there's limited space. You'd also be limited to 1 safety deposit box--you couldn't build like a hundred and have an entire arsenal buried in the middle of the desert.

Thread starter #4

gamejunkie25th

Backer
I like the idea, I would personally love to have a place to hide my stuff away from thieves. But I think they said somewhere that they weren't going to allow players dig or build into the environment. (except building onto existing ones.) Plus in a realism factor every time you die, you are a given a new life. So if you died your next character wouldn't know where your previous one buried it. And finally why would I ever have above ground chest if i could hav 50+ underground ones safe from looters. I do like the idea of having staches hidden in different locations but this system would need some balancing or to changed.
I certainly like that kind of idea although if it compromises the game's vision of survival then I guess its a no go. I for one don't think it does as long as there's limited space. You'd also be limited to 1 safety deposit box--you couldn't build like a hundred and have an entire arsenal buried in the middle of the desert.
Yes you would be limited to one... And you would be VERY limited as to what you could put in it... Like I said 3 small items...

IqSoup

Backer
Oh and maybe there's a metal detector you could find and fix up (it would need batteries and such) and then go try to find people's stashes. You could make the metal detector rare and hard to get working. I guess that kind of goes against the idea of being able to safely store your loot but could add another element to the game. People could go out "farming" for buried loot. To protect yourself you could even bury mines that would appear to be a buried stash but when the farmer tries to dig it up KABLAMO!

Crazypineapple55

The Official Bus Driver
Backer
With a player only be given one, with a limited amount of space. And the addition of metal detectors I actually really like this idea. I would greatly enjoy looking for underground staches. There is still on issue, I am almost certain the Devs have said that the game won't be voxel based meaning you cant dig into the land.

Thread starter #7

gamejunkie25th

Backer
With a player only be given one, with a limited amount of space. And the addition of metal detectors I actually really like this idea. I would greatly enjoy looking for underground staches. There is still on issue, I am almost certain the Devs have said that the game won't be voxel based meaning you cant dig into the land.
It wont be like that... It would just be an animation.... Action: Bury Box... The box disappears out of your inventory... Action: Dig Up Box... The Box enters your inventory

IqSoup

Backer
You wouldn't need to dig into the ground per se. You have your little storage box, go to your selected spot, take out your locker and select "BURY." It wouldn't REALLY be buried, the game would just remember that you "buried" it there so it'll be there when you come back. Maybe it marks the spot on your map (does the player have a map btw?) or maybe there's some kind of marker that only the player can see--a glowing light or something.

Other players can't see the marker but if they have a metal detector they can still find and dig up the safety box. The metal detector could give little blip if you get within 20 feet of a locker and then blip faster the closer you get and you'd be able to dig it up when your standing right on top of it.

But of course if all this compromises the vision the devs have for the game then I guess there's no need to think of all this stuff--but I think it'd pretty cool.

Thread starter #10

gamejunkie25th

Backer
Maybe the only way to truly remember where it is is to put a GPS tracker in the box with your stuff. Sure it takes up a space but when you pull put your map or GPS you could see where it was

BOOMstyx

Backer
Yeah but you wouldn't actually have to dig to place that item. It could just be a UI thing. Like equip the stash, and you get a indicator on the ground showing you the spot where it will be buried. Left click and bam, it's in the ground. Maybe they could make it so there is a slight mound of dirt that shows up for the person who buried it, but wouldn't render/would go unnoticed by someone who didn't bury it.

MrMoose

Real talk
Backer
I have a feeling the devs wouldn't want there to be restrictions like "you can only make one". If you need some sort of special rule then it shouldn't be in the game imo. There's nothing limiting you in real life from making 100; adding something to then make an arbitrary rule about how many your character can possess/place seems silly.

I like the idea of long-term more secure storage though. Perhaps when you die, all the storage you buried automatically becomes partially destroyed/missing/empty at varying levels. To artificially limit them, you could require a relatively rare material/item required for it's crafting, such as a mylar bag which you must heatseal (with a clothing iron for example). Making either of these items rarer will cut down on the amount. After x number of days/weeks/months, the container should eventually deteriorate and be destroyed.

Food -> Mylar bag -> 5 gallon bucket -> ground

Here's what I was thinking of

And no way do I support any sort of "GPS" type stuff to re-locate it. Use your darn brains to hide/find your stuff!

Last edited:

BOOMstyx

Backer
I have a feeling the devs wouldn't want there to be restrictions like "you can only make one". If you need some sort of special rule then it shouldn't be in the game imo. There's nothing limiting you in real life from making 100; adding something to then make an arbitrary rule about how many your character can possess/place seems silly.
Well this brings up another thought. If each player can make a hell of a lot of those chests all over the place. Multiply that over multiple lives for each player, and all players who lived long enough to make at least one on said server. Now couple that with the fact and A LOT of us are going to forget where the hell we buried a lot of them. That sounds like a hell of a lot of points, at the very least if not actually assets in the game for the server to keep track of. And that's not to mention which point belongs to which player. Even at a rate of only 1 box allowed per player, per life, this sounds like it might have a really negative impact of performance overall for the game eventually.

MrMoose

Real talk
Backer
Well this brings up another thought. If each player can make a hell of a lot of those chests all over the place. Multiply that over multiple lives for each player, and all players who lived long enough to make at least one on said server. Now couple that with the fact and A LOT of us are going to forget where the hell we buried a lot of them. That sounds like a hell of a lot of points, at the very least if not actually assets in the game for the server to keep track of. And that's not to mention which point belongs to which player. Even at a rate of only 1 box allowed per player, per life, this sounds like it might have a really negative impact of performance overall for the game eventually.
Yes, exactly. So if there's no limit then it will be anarchy, but if there is a "limit" it breaks immersion and is pretty silly imo. So we either don't add it, or come up with possibly solutions. Read my edited post, I have a few ideas on how to combat what you brought up. All the other stuff you said about performance is misguided.

Montecristo

Backer
Idea: A small item cache/container that is able to be placed in a "secret" location.

Items needed:
  • 3 planks of wood
  • plaster/glue something to cover the outside with.
Tools needed:
  • hammer
  • nails
Description and usage/scenario:

After creating this small container, it would have very limited space. We are talking a small amount of rations, handgun , ammo, water bottle, medicine, and/or a change of clothes. It wouldn't be able to hold all of these items at once, just a small handful of them. A small, weak padlock could be added to it for safe keeping but, it could also be easily broken.

The scenario would be to have some kind of "fall back" spot for said items. Maybe you get help up by bandits and all you have left are the clothes on your back or none depending on how desperate the raiders are. Instead of having to go through and look everywhere again. You could walk back to your item cache that you laid out to pick up your items. The real question would be.. Did you hide it well enough that no one could find it or would it as well be picked up by someone else.

Note: The glue would be used to stick stuff to the box to help it blend in to the environment. I'm not sure how easily it could be implemented with changing the box textures but, it's at least a rough draft of an idea.

Thread starter #16

gamejunkie25th

Backer
Why does this look like an exact copy of another post?

Montecristo

Backer
Does it?

I did some searching and didn't come up with anything of the like, (I might have been using the wrong keywords)

I did use the "read first" post as a guideline post. The only post i saw that could be "close" would be found here ---> http://www.community.survivethenights.net/threads/backpacks-storage.623/ I didn't think it was exactly what I was thinking so, I didn't want to hijack someone else's post for an off shoot idea. If I did I completely apologize as, it was not my intention for it.

Thread starter #18

gamejunkie25th

Backer
I remember posting on something about hide able storage boxes
I also have my own thread on it somewhere, its ok though they are like a few mnths old

Thread starter #20

gamejunkie25th

Backer