• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Car Spawning / Hording

Thread starter #1

JamesDJones

Backer
I know cars are an issue in other games like H1Z1 and others they seem to only work in a few ways

Well known ways of handling car hoarding the pros and cons of each.

• Cars only stay for as long as the server is up and once rebooted cars a reset to their spawn locations.
This way often does provide good server performance and access to cars but at the cost of hard work to a promised loss of property and often ends in making cars feel not worth the time and therefor underused game mechanic (In my OP it's the easy way out as a game dev)

• Cars stay until they are blown up.
In the words of Trump "Sounds good doesn't work." This is the best way for a whole server full of cars to end up in the base of some group that will never be used IDK why this is a thing but it happens every time. The plus side of this is one user gets to feel like a used car salesman.

• Cars degrade over time once at 0% the cars respawn
Somewhat working but when there is a lot of players on an active server what happens is most of the cars will be divided up among many basses and then probably sit there for about 1 months and then get removed now this system is ok if it has about a 1 day time but most of the times someone will collect 1 to 4 cars and only use 1 and keep the other 3 just in the base and the results will end up being much like the above one listed but just with one a 2 cars showing up for grabs in a week

• What I think will work best.

A user can have one car but if 2 or more are parked in the same location for 3 hours without one of them in that location being moved then the car with the lower HP or whatever value is removed and set for respawn. This process will repeat until there is only one car at that location. Then a 3 day degradation time will start on that car. The car must be stated within the 3 days to reset the timer. I feel this process will users from mass hoarding cars and keep the cars spread out over many basses.

I would like to know what the community thinks of this and if they have any ideas on this please keep it constructive and respectful.

Moderator #2

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Community Mod
Backer
Good run down.

What I personally feel is that once vehicle parts/repair goes into play, if it's balanced correctly it would essentially be a whole lot of work to get a vehicle running/fueled/maintained. Therefore there would be no real reason to having that many, no benefit really. Since we can't simply build huge parking garages like in H1Z1 or how DayZ Mods used to be, we won't be able to hide and keep safe a whole fleet of vehicles. I mean, people could try to horde, but without having the proper safe places to park them, and a fairly difficult part/repair system (degradation should come in on vehicle parts individually IMO also), this will balance even the ability for players to horde and keep vehicles. Just my initial thoughts.

Thread starter #3

JamesDJones

Backer
Good run down.

What I personally feel is that once vehicle parts/repair goes into play, if it's balanced correctly it would essentially be a whole lot of work to get a vehicle running/fueled/maintained. Therefore there would be no real reason to having that many, no benefit really. Since we can't simply build huge parking garages like in H1Z1 or how DayZ Mods used to be, we won't be able to hide and keep safe a whole fleet of vehicles. I mean, people could try to horde, but without having the proper safe places to park them, and a fairly difficult part/repair system (degradation should come in on vehicle parts individually IMO also), this will balance even the ability for players to horde and keep vehicles. Just my initial thoughts.
A lot of how the car system really hangs on how bassing is done hand how car repair is done as well as how the community grows. Thanks for the comment and we shall see.

Moderator #4

DemoCar82

Community Mod
Backer
Vehicles are supposed to have a pretty fair amount of parts that will eventually be associated with them, so you'll need to find and maintain a list of parts for each vehicle. And, I am hoping that part degradation comes into play on those parts so that players/teams will be in need of spare parts and such.

Bases are pretty straight forward, we can fortify existing buildings. So I am sure there will be areas where you can drive a vehicle up into and fortify a warehouse or something similar, but there is a lot of disadvantages to that, or the amount of work required to maintain security on a building that size isn't really worth it, or is pretty difficult.

Sarge4ID

Professional Nutjob
Backer
Hmmm. This one is a hard one for me. My group already has 5 members and we're still recruiting. We're going to have the numbers to get all the supplies to main vehicles and bases. We actually have different occupations that are solely dedicated to the different aspects of gameplay. Having vehicles in close proximity disappear within hours if they aren't moved will hit us hard. Part degradation we can handle as our logistics corps will constantly be gathering parts and materials. Turning over the engine in a car every now and then would also be a better solution in my opinion. That way if no one is using that vehicle it get's removed, but for someone or a group that is active, they can keep their vehicles in one place without having to assign someone to constantly drive every vehicle around.

Moderator #6

DemoCar82

Community Mod
Backer
Hmmm. This one is a hard one for me. My group already has 5 members and we're still recruiting. We're going to have the numbers to get all the supplies to main vehicles and bases. We actually have different occupations that are solely dedicated to the different aspects of gameplay. Having vehicles in close proximity disappear within hours if they aren't moved will hit us hard. Part degradation we can handle as our logistics corps will constantly be gathering parts and materials. Turning over the engine in a car every now and then would also be a better solution in my opinion. That way if no one is using that vehicle it get's removed, but for someone or a group that is active, they can keep their vehicles in one place without having to assign someone to constantly drive every vehicle around.
That is a legitimate fix actually.

In order for cars not to de-spawn (not degrade, just despawn, parts included), the vehicle must be started and moved slightly. This keeps a group, even if they horde vehicles, to consciously be active and remember to do those things. If that group gets bored, joins a different server, or simply quits playing, the vehicles will then despawn after 'X' amount of time to a random vehicle spawn location.

I personally think, in conjunction with the fore-mentioned things earlier in the thread, vehicle hording would be easily handleable.

Cavers

Backer
Parts and degradation system for sure. I love the idea of needing to have a spare tire or axle or alternater or whatever. But the need for parts alone will solve the fair-ness of car hordeing. Nothing else is needed. If you find all the parts the vehicle needs, and you repair it and take it, it should never respawn, ever. The only way a vehicle should dissapear is if someone stole it from you. So keep that shit locked and hopefully hidden in a fortified garage or something.