• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Careers

Simple Yes or No Poll

• Total voters
Thread starter #1

Jhanco

Helo byd. Rwy'n Cymraeg!
Backer
Considering there are different parts of Suggestions now, I'm going to put a brief description of Careers.

Q: First thing, what do I mean by Careers?

A: What I mean by Careers is spawning in as another survivor who is already part of the apocalypse, so you're basically taking on a roll of a job and the jobs can vary because there isn't just one job out there.

First time you spawn in with a new character who has a randomized job set to it:

When you spawn in you'll have a set Career and a few items which will be damage considering that this is a zombie apocalypse and the life you're taking over has already been through a lot as it is - Running, getting hit, falling over and scuffing his/her clothing. Now each Career could possibly have some bonus stats like endurance if you spawned as an athlete or faster healing to somebody else if you're a medic but will also have some downsides for example you could be the athlete but your thirst will deplenish quicker and if you could be the medic then your physical movement will not be as vast as the athlete, all of the Careers should have a positive and a negative to balance out.

Possible Careers and what you could spawn with:

*Note* All characters will have tattered/dirty clothing/damage weapons on spawn.

Fireman: Has a fire axe which is damage and takes at least 4-5 hits to kill a zombie/human because the weapon is blunt, also 1 bandage or rags.
=======
Police Officer: Has a baton which is slightly damaged and takes about 6-7 hits to kill a zombie/human, doesn't spawn with a pistol or any other fire arm because that would ruin the feel of surviving, also 1 bandage or rags.
=======
Medic: Doesn't have a weapon but has 2-3 bandages and possibly morphine.
=======
Athlete: Doesn't have a weapon but has 2 bottles of water and a go-energy bar to eat.
=======
Civilian: The Civilian is a bit different because if you were in a house you would grab your nearest weapon, maybe a frying pan for example. So you could spawn with a weapon or without a weapon as a Civilian depending if your guy did pick up a random household object.
=======
& more, feel free to add some other Careers with a good description!

This could add possible realism to the game and give it more of a survival edge.

Last edited:

Madsl

The Meme guy
Backer
Carpenter: Better at making fortifications/is more skilled at it..

Great ideas here man!

Moderator #6

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Community Mod
Backer
I like the idea, but level it... if you are slightly better than normal at one thing, be sure to slightly worse than normal at something else if there were minor increases in skills.

Mechanic - Spawns with several tools in inventory used for vehicle repair

JB_

Developer
Developer
We have in fact thought about this, we plan to implement a very basic yet fun XP system. This could lend well to that system. We're taking notes on all of your ideas and I'll add this one to the list!

JB_

Developer
Developer
As good as this could be, all I see happening is everyone picking the most OP class and running around as that :-/
This is true, we'd need to find a great balance if we thought about bringing features like this to StN.

Mitch

King
Backer
This is true, we'd need to find a great balance if we thought about bringing features like this to StN.
I'm much more fond of what you mentioned earlier with the XP system, that way it promotes player skill rather then spawning in as a mechanic and having the ability to fix any and every car. Perhaps if you try to add the spark plugs there is a chance of them breaking but with each successful plug put in you get 'X' XP

Moderator #15

DemoCar82

Community Mod
Backer
As good as this could be, all I see happening is everyone picking the most OP class and running around as that :-/
I am sure if this is done right, there won't be such a thing as an "OP" character class you could pick from, it will be more of a "give and take" I would assume, making you sacrifice in order to get a small advantage at something. Mitch, have you seen how Project Zomboid has used this type of system?

Mitch

King
Backer
I am sure if this is done right, there won't be such a thing as an "OP" character class you could pick from, it will be more of a "give and take" I would assume, making you sacrifice in order to get a small advantage at something. Mitch, have you seen how Project Zomboid has used this type of system?
I am familiar with Project Zomboid and find myself picking the police character constantly :confused:

Moderator #17

DemoCar82

Community Mod
Backer
I am familiar with Project Zomboid and find myself picking the police character constantly :confused:
See, I pick Construction Worker... so the character you think is the best, is by far not what I think is the best, and others likely think both are not the best.

BOOMstyx

Backer
I don't think they should spawn with weapons of any kind, but if someone was in the military they probably know how to use an automatic weapon over someone who was just a regular civilian
So instead of spawning with a weapon, they could have a slight head start on one skill or another. Like higher med skill for the medic, better stam for the athlete, soldier would be better with the gun once he finds one, etc.... I saw, regardless of what career you pick it shouldn't affect initial gear spawn. Just because you're good with something doesn't mean you'll be stocked for it. Basically, careers could be an initial boost to one stat or the other. Maybe a medium bump to one and a small bump to a secondary one. Depends what skills/attributes they include for training.

Toastmaster

Not A Racist Piece Of Bread
Backer
So instead of spawning with a weapon, they could have a slight head start on one skill or another. Like higher med skill for the medic, better stam for the athlete, soldier would be better with the gun once he finds one, etc.... I saw, regardless of what career you pick it shouldn't affect initial gear spawn. Just because you're good with something doesn't mean you'll be stocked for it. Basically, careers could be an initial boost to one stat or the other. Maybe a medium bump to one and a small bump to a secondary one. Depends what skills/attributes they include for training.
Yeah that sounds better, there are a lot of threads out there about this topic