• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Castle, Forts or Old Structures

Thread starter #1

Boomerix

You shoot it, you eat it.....no exceptions....
Castle!!!!!

I live in Australia now, so I would probably just drive out to no mans land, but when I used to live in Germany, just across the border to France not too far away from us was a citadel. (*link with picture). It has very high walls, a draw bridge, electrical infrastructure and fresh water access. I always thought of it as the Ideal place to live at during a zombie apocalypse. Let's assume one or more Islands had one of those surviving legacies of old time, great fortifications of old time designed to stand and defend itself against other humans.

Even in DayZ was an old castle ^_ ~
It could be a british castle, it could be a ww2 bunker system, an old fort from the US civil war, so many old defensive structures that we would use and re-fortify.......

*link with picture: http://www.citadelle-bitche.com/site/medias/_images_diaporama/diaporama_citadelle_accueil/citadelle_1.jpg

CmndrWolf

I like the idea the cannons that would remain their for historical value wont work but the walls and what buildings inside the fort are still useable for repurpose I like the idea its very nice and at some point the island had to have been a colloine under an empire at some point and they build castles to defend such collines so a fort of some kind would be nice to see. the fort would provide defense but if some one were to lay siege they could starve you out and take the fort over for them selves some thing to keep in mind. but I love the forts idea.

ADarkGerm

Total Head Count
Backer
I do expect to see the odd Castle as i live in Scotland and its normal.
Some have been changed into jails so beware
they may have occupants to deal with before finding secrets from the past.

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
Even though the dev's do not want to go big into military items or areas but there are a lot of people who like militatry subjects so I wanted to create a compromise in the form of a old military location that would act as a historical location in the game that could add lore to the world. My idea is a small island fort built during the late 1700's/early 1800's as well as a preexisting fort built by French trappers. I based the construction off of old structres and forts in the area of New England such as Fort Warren, Fort Adam's, Fort Carrol and other similar buildings. The trapper fort was inspired by the fort from Ginger Snap's Back the werewolf movie that takes place in colonial Canada. From the videos that's what the geographical location seems like to me but if we figure later on that it's somewhere else I can tweak the history for the location so it could be used for multiple places.
(Fort Warren)
http://www.bostonharborislands.org/sites/default/files/images/fort_warren.jpg
(Fort Adam's)
http://www.blueplanettimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Ft-Adams1.jpg
(Fort Carrol)
http://darkroom.baltimoresun.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/00288701_H31543657.jpg

(GingerSnaps Fort)
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__ZC6F3SCITU/TTnNkd5VO8I/AAAAAAAAEmo/NIBXPTFCBEY/s1600/GSB+at+the+fort.JPG
http://www.digitaldreammachine.com/blogimages/albertamovies/GingerSnapsBack_01_400px.jpg

So I present to you the history and contruction of Fort Corbin I hope you guys enjoy.

Fort Corbin
First built on a island colonized by the French in the early 1600's the Fort was first used as a Trading Post for fur's and other commodities. Named for the abundant population of local crow's Fort Corbin only held twenty residents and made most of it's trade with the local Abenaki population. Consisting of one long rear wall, two smaller side walls and two main walls connected by a gate the small fort only had two small store houses and two bunk houses and a single large house built as a dining hall and the personal quarters for the Forts leader. Two towers at the left and right corners of the front wall acted as guard houses and lookouts against any hostile natives or from English attacks and a large Courtyard in the center of the fort acted as a meeting place among it's inhabitants.

Following a successful trade business the fort was eventually bought by the New France government in the early 1700's to protect the local ports and colony's that had been built during France's colonization of the America's. Following the outbreak of the Seven Year war in the American colonies in the form of the French-Indian War in 1754 the Fort repelled several English attacks before finally being abandoned due to the lack of supplies in 1759. The fort also saw multiple engagements during the American Revolutionary war being taken by both sides multiple times. After the end of the war the new government began construction on a larger fort on the island keeping the old fort for use as a storage area and housing for troops and construction.

A pentagonal structure several meters tall with raised firing positions for cannons at each point the new structre was built as a masonry fort using Granite as the main source of stone for the project. Several buildings were built for use inside of the fort including two long rectangular buildings one was used as a bunk house and the other a infirmary. The largest building within the walls of the fort acted as the officers quarters and as an headquarters, a small building behind the headquarters acted as a munitions storage for the Fort. Two small sheds behind the wall's acted as miscellaneous storage for things like fire wood and coal, a additional stable for the fort's horses was built in front of the old French Fort. A dock was also built in front of both fort's as well as a adjoining boat house, a guard house was built in front of the small wharf to oversee the unloading of cargo and personnel.

Following the completion of the Fort the structure was named after the original fort on the island and thus Fort Corbin had begun it's service. Serving as a defense for the new england states during the War of 1812 the fort took place in several engagement's with British ships suffering losses but never being taken. Most of the fallen soldiers were buried along side the old French settlers as well as the Abenaki that had married them. The graveyard near the southeast corner of the island was expanded to accommodate the extra occupants. The most tragic death of the fort happened after the war had ended in 1815 during the winter of 1816. The season was particularly harsh and the young daughter of the commanding officer had come down with pneumonia. Before any break in the conditions the daughter perished, her grave was the largest built on the island consisting of a small mausoleum and tomb paid for and built by the her father.Over the years the island fort saw very little use but was kept in service for quite some time before it's decommissioning in 1939. Slowly falling into disrepair throughout the years the Fort had begun to become overtaken by nature until most of the structures were covered in vines and foliage and trees dominated the island.

As a result of a revitalization effort in 1981 the island was named a historical landmark and efforts had begun to restore the buildings of both fort's. The former headquarters was turned into a museum for local period pieces such as musket's, military apparel and other items found in the area around the island. The wharfs guard house was turned into a help desk/shop for visitors, and the various bunk houses were filled with the restored items found in the buildings to give a accurate picture of the past. A urban legend sprang up since the opening of the park as a public area that the ghost of the daughter roamed the island where she had played and the insides of the fort where she had lived haunting the island. Several workers that cleared brush during the restoration claimed to have seen the same little girl while working at night eventually leading to their refusal to work at night. A popular historical attraction the fort has increased in visitors since it's restoration, there is even a great amount of night visitors determined to catch a glimpse of the Officers Daughter walking about the premises.

Well what do you guys think, I really believe that this island/set of forts could bring some history to the area and would make a great area to visit. Imagine zombies wandering around a folliage covered stone fort it's worn wall's showing it's age. It could be a interesting place to camp as well the area would provide protection but no utilities save for the ones you create. I also hope that the dev's might like the idea of a easter egg in the form of a ghost npc wandering around the island at certain times, you might be able to see her from the fort or she might appear directly inside. Something I would like would be a negivitve impact on your mental state if you get to close to the ghost. Imagine a mix of 1408 and F.E.A.R, child ghosts freak me out little girl ghosts even more like Alama or the twins in The Shining. It would bring a small negivtive to living on the island if you encountered the ghost too much. They could have some old loot items in the form of old musket bayonets, shackels, ball & chain's, maybe Muskets in good enough condition to use. They could have food items in the visitor shop along with modern replica's of old clothing, lol so we can run around looking like grizzled beared trappers and old soldiers.

If you guys have any ideas for the fort or island feel free to speak up I want as much feed back as I can get.

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
@Lord Goose Yeah that's what I was thinking you could prehaps see posters or bill boards for the island on the main island before they ever add it kind of like the random posters and messages for the upcoming DLC's in Fallout. Then later on after they have added some islands if they like the idea they could add the island in a not so ovbious location. It could be hard to find unless you noticed the appearence of a new island after an update. It could be a nice atmospheric easter egg location with diffrent areas like the new and old forts and the cematary. It would be awesome to camp out in the courtyard of an old granite, vine and moss covered fort with a light rain in the backround and a large fire going with my horse and dog nearby.

Last edited:

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
lol took a bit longer then that....not the best artist and I was using a drawing app on my tablet. I basically made a outline of the island with snaped lines then used free draw to scribble in the shadeing, that took a long time. Then I erased most of the island so I would come up with the current outline. The French Fort and Masonary Fort were seprate images I made then merged to the photo, all the buildings were pretty easy though since it wasn't a real fort I could use any dimensions. I am actually quite proud of the compass rose in the corner, I was going to just save one from google but then I decided to make one myself so I didn't have to cite anything. Thanks for the appreciation I thought a drawing would go a bit farther in getting the image across, hopefully JB checks this out it would be awesome to get a whole island in game.

Also if they like the idea and decide to use it, it would be awesome to get the pic I drew made into a museum piece that you could see in game.

Jeffernaut

Backer
Oh.
My.
Gosh.
This is such a great idea.
I would love to have the daughter ghost as an npc Easter egg!
and the historical aspect still leaves the devs some room for an area of where the island is located.

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
Yeah I wanted to look for northern forts for inspration since the game looks like it could take place in New England, Canada, somewhere near Alaska or somewhere betweem the UK and North America. With a bit of tweaking to the story it could be put anywhere.

I am glad you liked the ghost idea, imagine feeling safe after repelling a horde at night only to see the little girl just staring at you practically giving you a heart attack lol. Like I said little girl ghost freak me out and many of the parts in the Fear series where Alma jumped out at you really got the blood flowing and the heart racing. It would also be something errie and mysterious seeing the ghost from afar, either from a forts towers or ramparts or from a boat when traveling at night. I really hope they add fog into the game lol that would increase the spooky factor by ten.

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
Yeah I would like a light fog setteled around the ground not obscuring everything all the time, but I would like it if they could have random heavy fog weather conditions but thats a subject for a weather thread. I hope this gets some dev support it would be awesome to see groups fighting each other on the island turning the fort back into a battlefield. lol I would try to take over the island and live as a hermit among the lichen covered ruins. I would then cover the perimiter of the island in a plethora of traps including the warf so I wouldn't have any unwanted pirate attacks.

I also would like to see useable muskets ingame, long reload and low accuracy but heavy damage. It would also be awesome to see a battle where everyone attacked eachother with muskets and bayonets lol. Oooh maybe they could have a old top hat in the muesem that I could uhhhmm borrow, I really need a top hat in game lol.

Moderator #15

Lord Goose

One does not simply hunt.
Community Mod
Backer
Yeah I would like a light fog setteled around the ground not obscuring everything all the time, but I would like it if they could have random heavy fog weather conditions but thats a subject for a weather thread. I hope this gets some dev support it would be awesome to see groups fighting each other on the island turning the fort back into a battlefield. lol I would try to take over the island and live as a hermit among the lichen covered ruins. I would then cover the perimiter of the island in a plethora of traps including the warf so I wouldn't have any unwanted pirate attacks.

I also would like to see useable muskets ingame, long reload and low accuracy but heavy damage. It would also be awesome to see a battle where everyone attacked eachother with muskets and bayonets lol. Oooh maybe they could have a old top hat in the muesem that I could uhhhmm borrow, I really need a top hat in game lol.
I'm claiming that top hat already! As a LORD I have claiming rights ;)

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
Nooooooo rofl...........then I request that they place two hat's within the museum so that we both may increase our classiness by +10. Oooh they still used monocols around that time so I propose they also add monocol spawns within the museum, besides wearing them and increasing classiness by +5 we could use them to start fires during the day like a magnifying glass.

Moderator #17

Lord Goose

One does not simply hunt.
Community Mod
Backer
Nooooooo rofl...........then I request that they place two hat's within the museum so that we both may increase our classiness by +10. Oooh they still used monocols around that time so I propose they also add monocol spawns within the museum, besides wearing them and increasing classiness by +5 we could use them to start fires during the day like a magnifying glass.
You sir... know how to talk!

We have to make sure to speak with an upper class tone too!

Doublebow

Lone Wanderer
Backer
Good post, however it all depends on the setting of the game, if it is in somewhere like the UK these types of forts wouldn't be found, the same go's for many historic buildings like how you wouldn't find castles and old cathedrals in the US ext.

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
Yes it does depend on where it's located but in my opinion I think the game might take place around Canada, my reasoning is that Canada has a bunch of islands around it's coast and you can find guns laying around. I don't know much about Gun laws in the UK but I think they are pretty strict so I think there would be a lot fewer guns in game.

Like I said though before if they did place it somewhere near the UK I could change the history of the fort. Instead of taking place in the War of 1812 it could have seen action in the Nepolianic Wars. I am fairly sure that I can come up with diffrent historical scenario's to suit where the island is placed. Thanks for the input though, I have to ask what do you think of the map. If you read above I drew it my self in a tablet app.

Also anythoughts on available items they could add, NovaSniper has a musket thread and I would love to see some Model 1861
Springfield Muskets and Lord Goose modeled a old black powder cannon that would be a great piece to find on the Fort's. Something I thought of last night that I want to show Lord Goose are the Ram Rod's used to load cannons. They could have some old ram rods that could actually be used as a weapon. Most are wood and fairly old so you might not want to use one but I have seen some iron ones, okay derp can't find the iron looking ones I saw last night but I found some brass ram rods.
http://winchestersutler.com/Brass_ramrod.jpg

Last edited: