• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Character Perks

Thread starter #1

Blaze Jay

The Playa
Backer
I was thinking about 'perks' in addition to the old-school xp/leveling system.

You could choose few positive perks on the beginning but it would cost some points, to balance it out you would have to choose some negative 'perks'.
Let's say you take 'carpentry worker' (craft staff quicker) but to balance it out you must take 'noisy steps' (you make more noise while moving).
Would you like this in the game? If you do please post your ideas of perks and i will update this thread.

G4rfo

"The devils right hand man"
Backer
on that note be good to have lots of characters etc one could be fast other strong etc ??

Thread starter #6

Blaze Jay

The Playa
Backer
It already stated on kickstarter that they were NOT going to add leveling. It's all about the skill.
that's quote from the home page of Kickstarter:

Leveling:
An important aspect of any multiplayer game is leader boards, achievements and leveling your character in order to move up in rank. Survive the most nights to gain server wide rep. Level your character to better your skills.

• Leveling up will be old school. Do something enough and you'll get better at it
  • Hunt to improve your trapping abilities
  • Shoot to improve your accuracy
  • Fortify a lot to improve your carpentry skills
And what i meant in my post was that you choose those perks on very beginning of the game, not through leveling. Some people are naturally skillful and others before zobie apocalypse had jobs, and if there was a guy who was profesional carpenter he will craft better then medic or office worker, right?

Zero33

Backer
An intersting idea... ye i like it, but it would need much balancing and testing i think.

SwagadorDali

MR BONES SAYS THE RIDE NEVER ENDS
Backer
that's quote from the home page of Kickstarter:

Leveling:
An important aspect of any multiplayer game is leader boards, achievements and leveling your character in order to move up in rank. Survive the most nights to gain server wide rep. Level your character to better your skills.

• Leveling up will be old school. Do something enough and you'll get better at it
And what i meant in my post was that you choose those perks on very beginning of the game, not through leveling. Some people are naturally skillful and others before zobie apocalypse had jobs, and if there was a guy who was profesional carpenter he will craft better then medic or office worker, right?
I see where you're coming from, and I don't disagree with the idea, but I don't think you're going to see a feature like this implemented. Because of that intro sentence under "Leveling", I'm led to believe that they won't add a feature where you select starting perks. It seems clear that they want an even playing field. Why open with a sentence about leaderboards and achievements if you could handicap yourself or give yourself an advantage at the start? Ya feel me? :)

Wolfgang54

Join The United Survivors today! Lock and Load
Backer
It's pretty much what Project Zomboid has. You puck a job and it gives some small benefits, then you pick some small negatives to give points and some positives to take points. I really don't like the points system in both of the games and I think it should just stick to the job you had before the apocalypse and leave it at that.

Thread starter #10

Blaze Jay

The Playa
Backer
I see where you're coming from, and I don't disagree with the idea, but I don't think you're going to see a feature like this implemented. Because of that intro sentence under "Leveling", I'm led to believe that they won't add a feature where you select starting perks. It seems clear that they want an even playing field. Why open with a sentence about leaderboards and achievements if you could handicap yourself or give yourself an advantage at the start? Ya feel me? :)
The thing is you giving yourself advantage in one aspect but disadvatage yourself with another, so its kind of balance.

SwagadorDali

MR BONES SAYS THE RIDE NEVER ENDS
Backer
The thing is you giving yourself advantage in one aspect but disadvatage yourself with another, so its kind of balance.
Yes but I mean player-to-player.

The game is called Survive the Nights. The point is to see how long you can stay alive. Even though there's an overwhelming amount of stuff to do, and I'm certain a lot of people won't give a damn about what their leaderboard score is because of that first point; I still think their goal is to start everyone equally to accommodate for the people that do want that competition, and that is clearly true based on the current skill system.

Assume they add this give/take point system... Sure it can balance itself out by taking away a bit of skill in one thing in return for an advancement in another, but there is always going to be a definitive best perk selection at the beginning. So you're left with half the population doing the exact same perk selection and probably a similar progression path, and another group of people that aren't aware they're handicapping themselves because (for example) taking -1 stamina for +1 wood cutting is the BEST selection you can make. Most games that have several different routes to select from are the same way.

If you've ever been a WoW player then you know, especially back when the Talent Tree was it's former pre-cata glory. It was overwhelming at first, you had so many options to spend your points on. Two of the same max level classes may not even have the same abilities just because of the way they chose to spec their points. And yeah, people did select whatever they wanted, but there always was, and still is a "pick these talents because it is simply statistically the best".

Same goes for that massive spider-web of talents in Path of Exile, if you've played that. That one you can truly make your character have any stats you want, and use any ability you want, but there's still preferred routes that will provide for the most damage or whatever stat(s) your class requires.

Thread starter #12

Blaze Jay

The Playa
Backer
I know what you saying, but if there would be the way to balnace it propely it would make characters different, so you could form groups of players (teams) with would fulfil community needs, just like TWD: one persone would cook another one hunt and another build barricades.

Smacks

Backer
If you had a one perk per character it might encourage player cooperation. Player diversity can encourage player cooperation if player A has the ability to do something that player B cannot. Imagine it, "Hey that guys a Doctor, lets be friends and work together."

You could have one perk per character such as the following:

* Construction Background, This would make it easier for you to fortify structures. or create better fortifications.

* Hunter, This would allow you to gather more meat from hunting animals, or more damage for ranged attacks.

* Creative Mind. This would allow you start with a larger list of craftable items.

* The Health Nut. This would allow you to regain health stat or stamina faster.

* Doctor, This would allow you to heal yourself faster or other players.

* Brawler, This would allow you to take more damage from zombies in melee combat.

* The Constant Gardener, This would allow you to harvest more food from gardening plants and foraging for food in the wild.

Ellemirsa

Ji Moon
Backer
As you survive you gain exp. Depending on HOW you survive, branches different sets of skills gets unlocked (survival/art of killing/bandit/paragon/mastermind/ect.) and you can spend your points on them. Getting killed would take away exp, even lowering the level if you get killed too much.

Branches:

Survival: Endurance/Food tolerance (survive on little food) /Hunter (fresh cooked meat increase stats) /Fishing Skill

Art of Killing: Higher damage melee/Accuracy (with gun/bow)

Bandit: Specialization on PvP (I don't know) /ect.

Paragon: Teamwork (Allows teaming up in a Party but friendly fire is still on/Stats increased with Players within certain proximity) /Goodwill (Like/Dislike from other Players from Party, which will be visible) /ect.

Mastermind: Trap making/Craft (quality of craft increases/better stats)/ect.

I don't know xD just throwing ideas out.

Ellemirsa

Ji Moon
Backer
"An important aspect of any multiplayer game is leader boards, achievements and leveling your character in order to move up in rank. Survive the most nights to gain server wide rep. Level your character to better your skills."
-From Kickstarter page

Isn't it already an RPGish game? :p

Fabio Fernando Schipiura

1RobotChicken
Backer
How about some traits? When the player started with a character he could choose one or two traits. These traits would be things that the character did or liked before the zombie outbreak, like his or her hobbies or jobs. He could be a medic (and knew how to heal and what each medicine does), a gun collector (and knew how to handle and maintain a gun) etc. This would help players get along, since they would need other players abilities to survive better.