• Hello Guest,

Alpha v1.0 has been released on Steam! Bug reports can be made using our new in-game bug reporting system. Please consider joining our Discord if you need assistance.

-The team at a2z(Interactive);

cinder blocks for building

Thread starter #1

iiBqntZ

no one reads these anymore
Backer
just a simple idea stacking up cinder blocks would be a nice feature id say make multi layers walls of them turn them upside down or sideways to aim through

imagine going to that concrete structure in the concept 2 video and filling in the windows with cinder blocks to make a concrete fortress

cinder blocks would bring new opportunity for base fortification and other things

fixing walls
boarding windows
garden beds

and stoves

images from: http://www.survivopedia.com/diy-ideas-for-using-cinder-blocks/

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
I like the idea of them for bbq's, fortification defense (covering windows/doorway) and garden plots but not "base building", you'd probably need to introduce mortar/cement also but then people will be asking to be-able to build a house.

Keep it simple and I'm with'ya.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
We know we'll probably have planks for boarding up windows in the Alpha release. I'm with @Num47 on this one though ... needs to be a simple upgrade you can do with things you can scavenge and simple tools.
Perhaps you might just pile them up behind a door?

Thread starter #4

iiBqntZ

no one reads these anymore
Backer
well building with concrete also requires those steel rods to go through then that filler and alot of work that probably wouldnt be possible

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
I should clarify, I mean no free-form building...

There is a discussion somewhere about derelict buildings (*fires a thread seeking missile*), so the idea of "re-building" an already existing structure could work, this is something that could be done in the future, and I hope that missile finds it's mark.

Moderator #7

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Backer
I like the idea of cinder blocks for various purposes... Make-shift smokers/stoves, counter-weights and such for traps, upgrade/reinforcement options for fortification, etc.

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
I think Cinder Blocks could be a way to reinforce doors, since you could stack them up or something in front of it as a fortification and they'd be pretty sturdy. But I cant really see them as window fortifications, just doesnt make much sense to me

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
But I cant really see them as window fortifications, just doesnt make much sense to me
Because bullet beats wood :p, would be nice to just stack them next to the window on the inside for a little extra protection and also some concealment in rooms you don't want people looking in.

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
If cinder blocks were to be used to cover a window you would need to have at least one stack behind to serve as reinforcement, otherwise someone could easily push the 'wall' over.
CinderBlock WindowFortification.png

Obviously the cavities would need to be filled with concrete too so the blocks couldn't simply be pushed out of position. I don't think you'd need any rebar rods, that's typically used to secure /tie in cinder block walls with concrete footings (and we're not dealing with that in this instance).

Another use would be to use cinder blocks to make a work table, two stacks on either side with beams placed through the cavities, and a work surface placed on top.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
I had the idea of something like this for the support...

You could also have one around chest/waist height, so you can crouch behind it for cover maybe.

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
I had the idea of something like this for the support...

You could also have one around chest/waist height, so you can crouch behind it for cover maybe.
Like the idea, but your blocks are turned the wrong way. :p /duck /flee

This could be a, for lack of a better term, line of progression for fortifications. First you put up planks, then blocks/concrete, then support structure, each step you have to source the materials and/or necessary tools. Or maybe even make it a modular system, put them up in whatever order you have materials available for, though when combined offer superior protection (depending on the strength of the materials used, such as plywood support vs large crafted boards vs whatever else may be available). That's a different topic all together.

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
I personally like the idea of sticking plywood over windows to fortify them, and metal sheets was alright, have both of them and you have a really nice fortification, but the more I think about it the less I kinda like the idea of Cinderblocks ontop of all that. I feel like it might be stepping into that realm of Unraidable bases. I get you'd need the tools to take it all down and I personally dont think raiding should be an issue, but just the though of a window with a sheet of metal, wooden planks, and cinder blocks covering it, seems a little ridiculous and probably unnecessary. Its like building a brick wall over your window

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
Like the idea, but your blocks are turned the wrong way. :p /duck /flee
No, they are that way on purpose, for ventilation... :rolleyes:
I personally like the idea of sticking plywood over windows to fortify them, and metal sheets was alright, have both of them and you have a really nice fortification, but the more I think about it the less I kinda like the idea of Cinderblocks ontop of all that. I feel like it might be stepping into that realm of Unraidable bases. I get you'd need the tools to take it all down and I personally dont think raiding should be an issue, but just the though of a window with a sheet of metal, wooden planks, and cinder blocks covering it, seems a little ridiculous and probably unnecessary. Its like building a brick wall over your window
True but cinder blocks have their cons just like anything else, they don't contain/stop sound very well, also their insulation is not good unless you pair it with cement poured into the gaps, which I don't think we'd be doing and also didn't think of this before but they are not good for preparing food on/growing plants within, the powder can be/is toxic... trying to think of the name of it, mind has gone blank.

But also I don't think we'd need to cement them to eachother or the ground, just stacking for some temp cover/concealment and it's not something that would withstand a ton of gunfire.

I believe nothing will be unraidable as it should be about defence placement, design and spotting those weaknesses.

With only being able to fortify, we need to think of ways people can be different, with this I may completely block all lower floor entrances and only use second floor windows and rope/ladders to access my property (Which is what I do in PZ). This idea is more stop a zeek siege, people are a lot smarter and will always find a way in.

But again.. people stealing and killing will not be as much a problem as with other titles because of the mental implications which will/should effect that (I hope).

Edit: Fly Ash is the power substance I am on about (thanks google) but after some reading, I may be wrong about it's toxicity or danger... I just would not advise you to grow plants inside one, not sure what effects it may have on the plant when taking nutrition from the soil touching the brick... it's probably best to be safe, and use something to line it like some tarp sheet.

Last edited:
Moderator #15

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Backer
Agree with most of what has been said here, Love the ideas @Montauk and @Num47 for reinforcments.

I personally also like the idea of modular systems in STN, this would/could likely be a "down-the-line" type fortification, where the could actually be several variants depending on obtained materials involved. And that alone makes perfect sense obviously.

Maybe make usable cinder blocks kind of tough to obtain enough to build a lot of reinforced walls, or make them only obtainable from a very small number of places (in high zombie population areas) on the island, so that if you had enough to actually reinforce the entire bottom story like Num says, it would be considerably tough to get all the materials to do so, but making your windows tough as hell, this being rewarding for putting an fairly extensive amount of work in to do so.

Per Num's reinforcement, it would take 21 blocks, if it where 4 blocks wide it would take 28 blocks. Regardless, finding that many blocks, and then transporting them back to your base, and then constructing them or storing them all should prove to be kind of difficult in some manners, or so I'd hope. So if the structure you chose to build into a base had say 4-6 windows... that is a lot of blocks to find, transport, etc. You'll need a vehicle and/or trailer to transport them efficiently, a safe place to store them, etc.

Last edited:

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
If it's implemented I hope they make it EXTREMELY hard to do. I don't want to see everyone with these because theres some way you can just go grab 4 cinderblocks in one town, bring it back, set them up, rinse and repeat because they keep re-spawning. For something like the Island Trade Point Building mentioned in another thread, that a bunch of people could contribute to in order to make it a safe location for many people. Or at least make it take a long time for someone, like over the course of a week you can manage it.