• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Clothing and how it effects players!

Thread starter #1

ZacharyM

Backer
In real life if you were to run into a barbed wire fence or attack by a zombie your clothes would be damaged and have tears in them, so why not in survive the nights, think about it every now and then you go rob a store for some clothes to stay warm, or get group of people and go on a shopping frenzy to stay worm all winter!

Extracactus

Backer
Hey there. I would like to discuss what I think are vital aspects of clothing and how they should affect the player. I would like to hear what your thoughts are. Could you also vote on whether or not you like these aspects.

keeping Warm
Warmth should be something that players have to think about all the time when choosing what to wear. For example if you were wearing a jumper it would be easier too see you than not wearing one. If you were wearing one then you wouldn't shake and you would be able to shoot better. On the other hand if you didn't have one on you would shake and shooting would be harder.

keeping Cool
The other side of the story is keeping cool when it is warm. This should also be something the player thinks about because if you are walking around in a jumper on a hot day, you are going to sweat and lose more water therefore dehydrating quicker than someone who is not.

Washing Cloths
Now I know your thinking "why would I want to wash my cloths. That is too far". And maybe your right, but what I think is that if you don't wash you,re cloths after they get dirty with blood or mud then you should be prone to sickness and infection more than someone who does. making it optional.

Thanks For Reading

Last edited:

M_Dawg

Officially Awesome
Backer
While these have all been brought up many times and I don't really see a suggestion I agree with most of it.

Finndawg

El Sobreviviente
Backer
Just was about to make a thread about this, no need to obviously :D you've hit the nail on the head with this.

Lt Snake X

ParaMedic
Backer
i think this will be put in the game if they are doing a temp system but id like to see both overheating and freezing into the mix but also ways to counteract them

Creatureonthewing

Backer
I would like to add something. Bullets hurt no matter what kind of clothes you wear unless its made to stop ballistics. I dont want to see RPG style things on my survival sim. So this is why I like the way you worded the ideas.

Clothes should keep you warm or dry. Have you ever looked inside of your new coat you just bought to see STAMINA +4 HASTE +2? I see polyester to cotton %'s, and it tells me how to wash it, and sometimes it even tells what temperatures they can keep you warm in. Although, for the game that is being made here. I see no problem with a thick coat deflecting zombie teeth, or cushioning blows from zombie swipes. So I guess stats would be ok, but not every type of clothing should carry the same stats.

such as.

winter coat
*Unique item. Can only be worn on top of a shirt
  • +5 warmth
  • -2 speed
  • +2 bite resist
Bonus: Inside coat pocket.​

Police Vest
*Not Unique. Can be worn inside any coat or on top of any shirt.
  • +5 bullet resilience
  • +1 melee resistance
  • -2 warmth

If there will be stats in STN I could live with it if the stats made sense.

Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing no stats just give a general bullet deflect to s**t like police vests, military s**t, or swat team s**t. Like riot shields...

actually I change my mind again. Focus on the anti zombie gear for the alpha.

whatever you do to this general part of the game. Throw in "chance". Everyone loves chance.

Just make sure it fits in nicely and everyone will enjoy it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peterowsky

A Heroic Engineer
Backer
Different clothing should definitely have different aspects, I don't think I should be happily strolling through the fields during the winter night, dressed in a t-shirt and cargo shorts. However, boots for example should definitely not add to overall protection.

peterpiper007

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?
Backer
I wonder if the boot discussion, or a hat discussion for that matter, is really a question of 'hit location damage'. If I can shoot another player in the foot and their overall health is effected, then boots with stats are silly. If I can shoot you in the foot and you start limping or fall to the ground, then Kevlar swat boots are suddenly immensely important! Now, I haven't read all of the forums yet, but do we yet know if hit location damage is a part of gameplay or not?

TheLostPotater

Nato Potato, protecting world peace
Backer
I had the idea of maybe adding a system of the cleanliness of your clothing and equipment. So for example, if you are covered in grime and dirt, your clothing would be moist and distasteful. So that reduces your mental state, and the contrary increases your mental state. Maybe you can use a laundry machine or a water source. Would be cool

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
I had the idea of maybe adding a system of the cleanliness of your clothing and equipment. So for example, if you are covered in grime and dirt, your clothing would be moist and distasteful. So that reduces your mental state, and the contrary increases your mental state. Maybe you can use a laundry machine or a water source. Would be cool
Merging this with another thread that briefly covers washing clothes.

I like the idea, and it would be really cool if the clothing models got dirtier over time. As mentioned in the OP, dirtier clothes could also make you more susceptible to illness and/or infection.

Also, if you wash your clothes with just water they wouldn't get as clean as if you used some kind of soap/detergent.