• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Cloud servers?

Thread starter #1

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
I am the worst person to suggest this because I am going on a hunch with what I have read into but with some things that have been suggested (including some of mine), some seem like they would cause instability with the server and what-not... but would/is it possible to use cloud servers?

Probably just a simple yes/no due to price and what is on offer...

@Clinton you probably have the best answer (apart from the devs ofc :p)

Thoughts?

Clinton

Server Administrator
AllGamer Staff
I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Cloud computing is more of a loose term than anything meaningful. Everyone has their own definition of what it is. When I think of a cloud infrastructure I think of multiple physical machines cobbled together with a shared storage pool and hot failover. Meaning if a machine goes down everything is seamlessly migrated over to a working machine and there isn't anything lost or down. We have our own cloud running Openstack in Dallas. How do you define cloud?

DrUmMiSt

Bug Squisher Extraordinaire
Backer
I think he is meaning that you have a 'server' that stores all the files that everyone can access relatively easily such as builds so there is no to and fro of sending builds to each other.

I don't know a great deal but remote accessing a pc across the world to work on a build or upload it but it seems to be very time consuming process to upload builds across the world so each team can work on it.

But I do not know how the Dev's work and how they sync up what they do with each other

Thread starter #4

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Cloud computing is more of a loose term than anything meaningful. Everyone has their own definition of what it is. When I think of a cloud infrastructure I think of multiple physical machines cobbled together with a shared storage pool and hot failover. Meaning if a machine goes down everything is seamlessly migrated over to a working machine and there isn't anything lost or down. We have our own cloud running Openstack in Dallas. How do you define cloud?
Last night I was just reading about them being used in another title "crackdown 3", I am not sure if they meant actual multiple physical severs or not... it was about how they can get more load balance, destruction persistence, more players... etc using "cloud severs" while keeping stability.

I think he is meaning that you have a 'server' that stores all the files that everyone can access relatively easily such as builds so there is no to and fro of sending builds to each other.

I don't know a great deal but remote accessing a pc across the world to work on a build or upload it but it seems to be very time consuming process to upload builds across the world so each team can work on it.

But I do not know how the Dev's work and how they sync up what they do with each other

This was more of an inquiry I guess as-well as a suggestion, Sorry for being so vague guys... I ain't that tech savvy :oops: