1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coil guns

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by DZS, Jul 16, 2017.

1. DZS

DZS ᛋᛏᛟᚱᛗᚱᚨᚴᛖᚱ

Jul 12, 2017
    "There's also potential for other uses with capacitors, such as a Gauss Rifle

If the islands lore offered the ability for the player to discover an experimental power supply since were talking about a handheld coil gun :p even using conventional power sources explosive tipped bullets could pack a decent punch. It would be one way to add technologically advanced weapons yet still borrowing from reality since Gauss Rifles are a real thing that works by all laws of physics they are still just very early tech."

Copied from https://community.survivethenights.net/threads/rechargable-batteries-as-capacitors.8830/#post-84065

2. Hauger

Hauger Moderator Community Mod Backer

Apr 17, 2016
    No military loot in the game. And coil guns does not fit the lore at all tbh.

Handicap Jack likes this.
  3. Dr. J

Dr. J Survivor Backer

Aug 14, 2014
    I like the idea, but (and it's a bit of a big but):
    Storage for the power (capacitors, etc.) isn't in the pick up list that I can see,
    It would require charging up - how?
    How would you craft it? (You won't find one lying around!)
    Projectiles - you would need to craft these as well. You couldn't have a Blunderbuss type of weapon here.

Please don't get me wrong here. The idea of a silent (ish) and deadly weapon sounds fantastic. But we have a crossbow in the game for that.

4. DZS

DZS ᛋᛏᛟᚱᛗᚱᚨᚴᛖᚱ

Jul 12, 2017
    That's a pity isn't it. Wont bother spending hours researching things anymore. Thanks for your input.

5. Dr. J

Dr. J Survivor Backer

Aug 14, 2014
    Please don't give up just because a few forum members (myself included) don't believe this one idea won't be workable with the game as we understand it at the moment.
    Who knows, the Dev.s might like this idea, or any others you have, so much they decide they want to bring it in to the game.

6. DZS

DZS ᛋᛏᛟᚱᛗᚱᚨᚴᛖᚱ

Jul 12, 2017
    The forum doesn't seem to be short on ideas why would it matter if i stopped? This community isn't what i had hoped it to be so im likely going to leave.

Ex Starcitizen backer.

7. Darkstar 影

Darkstar 影 Lone Survivor Backer

Jun 4, 2017
    I don't want to sound like I'm attacking you, because it isn't my intent, but please do just have some faith that the Hauger situation can and will be dealt with if it requires attention. Just keep in mind what it says about you if you leave after one mistake like this is made. Like I said I'm not trying to offend or attack you, just saying that drama isn't worth it in the long run. I have and I'm sure Dr.J, as well as many others who have been here a lot longer have all had some rough times with people essentially being assholes, turning down ideas and such without much thought(Hauger, if you're reading this, Im not attacking you either, nor saying you attacked him, this is just an example). So just give it a bit of thought, yeah? I'm probably not gonna talk much more on this thread, not only is it getting derailed but I don't wanna fuel this fire, if you know what I mean

8. DZS

DZS ᛋᛏᛟᚱᛗᚱᚨᚴᛖᚱ

Jul 12, 2017
  9. DZS

DZS ᛋᛏᛟᚱᛗᚱᚨᚴᛖᚱ

Jul 12, 2017
    Coming from a very different community im used to having discussions rather than one sided dismissals of anything that does not fit into someones idea of how the game should be.

I will stick around for now, but i dont think this is the sort of community i was hoping for.

10. strategos2411

strategos2411 Lead Moderator Lead Mod Backer

Aug 13, 2014
    Yo, don't see it as a one sided dismissal, you've stated yourself you're new here and don't have the time to read up on the game. 'I'm still new to this game and don't know alot about the lore or its features yet'

We ain't here to shoot you down, but I get how some people think that. The devs (not the moderators) have stated many times that they are looking to make StN and all the stuff in it, realistic and practical. For example, there will be no base building, as it's not realistic or practical to do, if there are empty structures/houses everywhere, who would take the time to build a whole new base?

As the dev team is really small, they do rely on us to relay a lot of the information, and sometimes that does mean stating things that some folks may not know, or simply copy/pasting quotes form the devs that members may have missed.

When it comes to suggestions, we need to keep the forums clearer, as this is where the devs look for actual input, into what could possibly be added into the game, so anything that doesn't fit the devs vision of realistic but practical, is usually responded to by the mods, and sometimes other backers. If an idea is waaaaay out there, in regards to the lore/feel/setting of the game, then there isn't much conversation to be had, as it simply wouldn't fit.

Please don't see this as an attack on yourself, I usually moderate publicly, as I prefer as much as possible to be transparent and what I say usually applies to everyone. Keep in mind though, that all the mods are backers too, sometimes our responses are our own opinions and not an official view point. Please continue to be an active member of the community, but please maybe do a lil bit more research on the forums aswell, at the end of the day we all have a similar goal, helping the devs to make a great game.

I'm always open for discussion and debate, and if you have any feedback on how the mod team can improve let me know.

Num47, Darkstar 影 and Dr. J like this.
  11. Dr. J

Dr. J Survivor Backer

Aug 14, 2014
    PLEASE DON'T GO!

As @strategos2411 has rightly said, just because some of the community don't agree with your idea, it doesn't make it wrong.
    You're "thinking outside the box", and that is the great thing about the community. We all support our Dev team and our mods, while we 'bounce the ideas round'.

Myself, I'd be sad if you didn't continue to put forward your ideas in the forums. As you say, these forums are a bit different from ones you've contributed to before. Perhaps some of us (myself included) have some pre-conceived ideas about the game, how it should pan out, what mechanics are involved.

Ideas such as yours for a coil / gauss gun are what draws me back to the forums. My comments are only made to drive your imagination and train of thought. They are not intended to be a slight at your ideas.

DZS likes this.
  12. Hauger

Apr 17, 2016
    Aight. Sorry if I stepped on your toes. I've been here a while so I know what direction the devs is heading, what they want to achieve with the game etc etc. So I know that there won't be any mil grade loot. I also know that a coilgun won't fit the setting.

Coil guns are relatively new tech, and very scify. Devs want realism. Furthermore the game is set around the 2000's. Any coil gun tech at that time was humongous and not mobile.

So one would have to be stationary and large as f. Since there is no military test site or scientific test site of any sort on the island, that won't work either.

Do you understand now?

As to me telling you here and on pm, think I replied here before sending you that pm. As strat said, we often moderate in public due to the need of educating others on the same subject.

All this would have been clear as day if you "spent hours" doing research on the matter in question as you say.

I was able to use the search bar when I first joined this community, I expect nothing less of any other new member. It's just common sense.

Don't let this scare you away, hate to see you go over such a small thing.

Kindest regards Hauger.

13. DZS

DZS ᛋᛏᛟᚱᛗᚱᚨᚴᛖᚱ

Jul 12, 2017
    You've still got this real tone Hauger meet mods like you before. Hopefully a goonsquad doesn't turn up on this forum, DS is the king goon if you know who that is not that i have any respect for him cause hes made a career by ripping on other devs.

Anyway 'grumble' thanks for setting me straight there and thank you strategos2411 for clarifying some facts about this forum and the game. I will continue posting ideas now that i know what i should be posting about, for the record gas turbine generators are not at all unrealistic for the game only the work involved would be.

Why i posted about constructing pylons is giving the player the ability to connect power from big generators directly to their base and being able to build their base literally anywhere ofcourse at big cost if they wanted mains power. Maybe it would be easy to just state somewhere unless it already is "The game is set around the 2000's" that one simple statement explains alot about what people should be posting in terms of ideas. If the tech didn't exist then it shouldn't be posted that includes components.

14. DZS

DZS ᛋᛏᛟᚱᛗᚱᚨᚴᛖᚱ

Jul 12, 2017
    Thanks i have adult aspergers so it would be quite normal for me to think outside the box. Due the fact i enjoy writing i can be quite creative.

Dr. J likes this.
  15. strategos2411

strategos2411 Lead Moderator Lead Mod Backer

Aug 13, 2014
    No worries, hope you enjoy your time here, and in game once we get our hands on it

16. DZS

DZS ᛋᛏᛟᚱᛗᚱᚨᚴᛖᚱ

Jul 12, 2017
    I look forward too it, too long have i been waiting for anything remotely close to true zombie suspense horror in an open world sandbox. I hope the game does Romero fans lip service considering the great man has just passed. The Dead Linger would of been it but lets keep that out of this forum.

Last World and STN is pretty much it for me in terms of zombie games in the near future. I just hope STN doesn't run out of steam, Starcitizen is in that boat apart from the fact its CEO/Lead Dev is a egomaniac whos unflexable as the sun rises and basically trying to fix his screwup with M$ many years ago to the tune of 150million thats not even going into the bs their dabbling with in tax's over in Britain all entirely legal but it might piss a few citizens off.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    strategos2411 likes this.
  17. Hauger

Apr 17, 2016
    There is no freebuilding in the game, you can't build in the middle of the forrest or something like that. You can only fortify existing structures and the immediate area around it.

All structures are also already on "the grid".

DZS likes this.
  18. DZS

DZS ᛋᛏᛟᚱᛗᚱᚨᚴᛖᚱ

Jul 12, 2017
    Right fine.

19. DZS

DZS ᛋᛏᛟᚱᛗᚱᚨᚴᛖᚱ

Jul 12, 2017
  20. Dr. J

Dr. J Survivor Backer

Aug 14, 2014
    Hey there @DZS, I have a small suggestion ...
    Get on over to the 'player created lore' post here: https://community.survivethenights.net/threads/player-created-lore.8136/page-22#post-84203 and start writing what you want. As long as you keep it time independent, geographically separate with no 'super zombies', then you can expound on the ideas for crafting more exotic weapons, getting power lines up and running, alternative energy sources ... just take it a step at a time, and try to keep to the game ideal.