• Hello Guest,

We are super excited to announce that we will be launching our public alpha release v1.0 on Thursday, November 21st at 10AM PST/1PM EST/6PM GMT. See you there!

-The team at a2z(Interactive);

Community power generator

Thread starter #1

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
One way to allow larger groups and small community's to function without the need
for many small gas generators and to be free of being reliant on the big power
plant is a large diesel power generator.

These could be spawned sparingly in towns or in the wilderness requiring players
to connect power lines whilst vigorously defending it from relentless zombie
attacks potentially other players.

Here's an example of a diesel generator i took some photos of yesterday

A google search turned up the results
https://www.kohler-sdmo.com/EN/Products/PPR/Power-gen-products/v550c2
I dont think its the exact model looks close enough. Found more info here
http://nl.sdmo.com/Content/Subsidiaries/NL/General technical information.pdf

Some interesting details that might give some insight into maintenance:

'Limited running time power (LTP)
The limited running time power rating applies to generating sets operating under non-varying load factors and/or constant dedicated loads for a limited number of hours. Power is continuously supplied to a constant or non-varying load, up to 100% of the limited running time power for up to 500 hours a year.

There is no possibility of an overload with this power; as a consequence, any use of the generating set outside of the LTP is prohibited. For operation exceeding 500 hours per year at constant load, use the base load (COP rating). Applications with a limited running time include the following: - load management - load levelling - interruptible power - load curtailment and cogeneration'

page 4 of the above linked pdf

Because this is a much more complicated generator with many more parts it would require more maintenance but far less often. I wouldn't know how realistic A2Z would want to make it but there should be some level of wear and degradation as parts motors do wear out. You cant run a large generator continuously and not expect it to at some point fail.

Ive not researched how many homes could theoretically run on such a generator as a guess im thinking an apartment block or street of houses. Something in the order of 20 light bulbs give or take. Many good details in the linked pdf that the developers could use to base a larger generator on as far as numbers and variables go.

To connect houses up a utility switch board would be one way to go about it, something like a suburban roadside cabinet. Its an upgrade from a small free standing gas generator meant more for large group coop play and to cut reliance on the big power plant which is certain to be dominated by bigger groups. I'll do some research on this and update the post. Look forward to ideas and facts anyone would like to put forward. If i recall there was some talk about medium sized power generation in 2017? and the dev's are wanting to add medium sized generation eventually? Too tired to search through misc threads. @Num47 do your thing.

Last edited:

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
I think this would be a great way of bringing players together.
I seem to remember a towable generator from the concept videos.
Would trailing wires work? Perhaps just something larger to power, as you say, a whole apartment block?
Might it need more parts to get it running, and a vehicle to get it in to position? It might generate more noise, and attract more zombies.
Would that mean the need to set traps round it to protect it?

Thread starter #3

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
I think this would be a great way of bringing players together.
I seem to remember a towable generator from the concept videos.
Would trailing wires work? Perhaps just something larger to power, as you say, a whole apartment block?
Might it need more parts to get it running, and a vehicle to get it in to position? It might generate more noise, and attract more zombies.
Would that mean the need to set traps round it to protect it?
Surface trailing cables would probably work
https://continentalcables.co.za/2015/11/19/surface-wiring/
https://www.dnrme.qld.gov.au/busine...e-trailing-cables-update-to-safety-bulletin-6
Better solution than adding craftable power pylons to game, as if that's even realistic lol.

Yeah its likely a large generator would require many more parts. The trade off is worth the effort.

For sure it'd generate much more noise it'd be an asset that requires constant protecting. Interesting idea making it vehicle transportable, something smaller than what ive posted above would be ideal. The idea is to have a power supply that fits the medium category between power station and small gas generator. Something diesel would be good if diesel based vehicles are added later like trucks etc. Its really an upgrade from a small gas generator, heavy duty localized power supply with enough power to provide the needs of a large building hospitals police stations and so on.

Last edited:

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
There must have been something similar earlier. From a technical perspective, the voltage drop is a bit large. From an in game perspective, I don't think we'd want to bring anything too specific. Just some copper wire/cable that would be a pick up. Perhaps the length could be an issue with what you could harvest, and then a connector block as another pick up?

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
This idea does ring a bell to some degree (https://community.survivethenights.net/threads/power-plants-and-substations.2204/#post-21199), a more refined idea was about power substations that power individual neighbourhoods they are close to and would require defences and/or have something on the roof or using scaffolding for a place where someone could be stationed on guard duty to fight zed attacking due to the noise activity.

Maybe not something too big like a large substation but more like a hut with a large generator inside... more along the lines of what you mean @DZS, as not to overly complicate the workload for devs.

Hehe don't be freaking out too many people... some random dude taking pictures of power generators and such :D

Need somekind of a2z backer badge around your neck doing that... so you can be like "Hey mofo, I'm taking pictures to help this game develop"

Last edited:
Thread starter #7

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
This idea does ring a bell to some degree (https://community.survivethenights.net/threads/power-plants-and-substations.2204/#post-21199), a more refined idea was about power substations that power individual neighbourhoods they are close to and would require defences and/or have something on the roof or using scaffolding for a place where someone could be stationed on guard duty to fight zed attacking due to the noise activity.

Maybe not something too big like a large substation but more like a hut with a large generator inside... more along the lines of what you mean @DZS, as not to overly complicate the workload for devs.

Hehe don't be freaking out too many people... some random dude taking pictures of power generators and such :D

Need somekind of a2z backer badge around your neck doing that... so you can be like "Hey mofo, I'm taking pictures to help this game develop"
Nah it was on a public road could of walked past on the foot path and taken a pic if my phone wasn't junk. Im not gonna go around industrial areas off limits to public and start snooping taking pics lol. What was funny was the pics in the reference thread the first i added, what was going on that day was some workers were replacing all the little tiles on the sides of the walkway and above. They'd prob been there since before i was born Waterloo train station is that old. I had a chat to one of the senior looking workers there he didn't have great english but i said something like im taking pics for a game whilst doing the appropriate hand gestures he got the idea. I think he thought i was making a game but whatever lol. Still was cool that he cleared out for a few mins so i could take some pics, dunno what the other workers were doing maybe smoko break.

A small shack or shed could work like how they are already in game repurposed or some of for housing larger generators. It makes sense that a large generator has a dedicated building.

Last edited:
Thread starter #8

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
There must have been something similar earlier. From a technical perspective, the voltage drop is a bit large. From an in game perspective, I don't think we'd want to bring anything too specific. Just some copper wire/cable that would be a pick up. Perhaps the length could be an issue with what you could harvest, and then a connector block as another pick up?
For starters rubber, ive seen this in other survival games. You can harvest rubber from a number of sources including old tires. Then all you'd need is copper wire without going too deep combine the two together you've got heavy duty cables for connecting to a large generator. Would something like this work for connecting buildings up to a large generator? https://www.globalspec.com/learnmore/electrical_electronic_components/connectors/terminal_blocks

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Yep, that was the sort of thing I was thinking about for connecting lengths of wire. Probably a pick up or a part you need to find rather than something creatable in the crafting menu, perhaps a necessary item to make the generator run at all?
But @DZS , the idea of harvesting old tires is very interesting. Perhaps you could use chunks cut out of them and craft insulation blocks? Or components to get the generator going? I'm not sure if the game mechanics would support crafting wire insulation.

Thread starter #10

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
All good ideas food for thought. Harvesting tires may have other uses as well, like crafting wearable armour or armour for vehicles.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Well this thread is old, so I thought I'd kick start it with a tangential idea.
In the very early testing stages of the game, their were little generator/equipment sheds next to the transmitting towers.
What if you could access one of those?
You'd need a lot of parts, and certainty wouldn't get enough power to access the mainland.
But what if you could form a kind of mesh network to extend the range of walkie-talkies?
Perhaps even form a sort of local community radio station?

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Had a thought on community run stuff... only that it might be good if when supplying fuel/parts for such things, the groups that contribute will get a high daily moral boost for sacrificing supplies.

This could be applied to pretty much any community based equipment/utility.