• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Cooking and Mental Health

Thread starter #1

MrMcBobb

Backer
I was thinking that you could have two different states of mental health. Major and Minor and have them affected by different scenarios.

Major mental health blows could come from killing other players constantly/illness and injury whereas minor could come from bad food, feeling lonely and small stuff like that.

To help prevent minor mental health degradation (which would eventually impact on major mental health) you could eat "good" food. This would allow cooks to level up and provide a valuable skill to gangs of survivors - instead of just having carpenters and killers. Other things like warmth and comfort could affect your mental health..

Not sure about you chaps but eating dog-food everyday would make me pretty bloody depressed.

Thread starter #3

MrMcBobb

Backer
Of course, if you forcefeed someone their own fecal matter before beating them to death with their own wanger you take larger mental health hit than if you shoot them in the heat of the moment.

If you eat beans and dog-food everyday for a week you take a larger mental health hit than being cold for a night.

ZacharyM

Backer
I agree completely, and as some other threads stated, "Dog and cat companion" could help lower loneliness therefore increasing your mental state to a more normal state! I would love to see this implemented

Thread starter #6

MrMcBobb

Backer
"Dog and cat companion" could help lower loneliness therefore increasing your mental state to a more normal state! I would love to see this implemented
And if your options are starve to death or eat your little pooch you could balance the damage to your mental health vs starvation (I'd be pretty upset if I had to eat my pet but I might do it if I had to)

ZacharyM

Backer
And if your options are starve to death or eat your little pooch you could balance the damage to your mental health vs starvation (I'd be pretty upset if I had to eat my pet but I might do it if I had to)
Definitely a great idea, and if the companion gets attacked by a zombie if you eat it you are at risk of infection and will have to boost your immune system in order not to die!

Zzniper

Backer
This idea is awesome!
It opens up so many possibilities for the mental health system. I hope it gets implemented.

Thread starter #9

MrMcBobb

Backer
Definitely a great idea, and if the companion gets attacked by a zombie if you eat it you are at risk of infection and will have to boost your immune system in order not to die!
That'd be great, plus if your constant companion dies you lose it a bit in terms of sanity. Risk vs Reward is a huge part in any game and it makes sense in this scenario.

Have a pet -

Reward - makes you happy long term, allows you mental health bonuses, could help with hunting tasks (gun dog returning smaller game to you), provides a snack at the price of killing your pet
Risk - if it dies you suffer pretty bad depression, it can become infected (this could cause death like mentioned before OR if you don't realise it's infected it could turn on you and bite you at some point, infecting you too), if you eat it you suffer the penalty of pet-death-depression but also that hidden caveat of infection. Had it been bitten before, could you now be infected?

Also I just love having a dog in games, not sure why. It just makes me like the game more.

Affirmatron

Backer
I've generally found that pets in games tend to suck unless that's all the game is (Fable series? That dog was terrible, though the breed changing with your alignment was pretty cool) but if they're mostly there as set dressing that can affect your mood passively and positively in one way and actively and negatively in another, that's not bad. Also barking at zombies would be a terrible idea, that horde might find you when it otherwise wouldn't have!

Other than that, the splitting of the mental health system is definitely a good idea and I'd vote yes on such a system almost without condition.

WasabiKicks91

Backer
D
I was thinking that you could have two different states of mental health. Major and Minor and have them affected by different scenarios.

Major mental health blows could come from killing other players constantly/illness and injury whereas minor could come from bad food, feeling lonely and small stuff like that.

To help prevent minor mental health degradation (which would eventually impact on major mental health) you could eat "good" food. This would allow cooks to level up and provide a valuable skill to gangs of survivors - instead of just having carpenters and killers. Other things like warmth and comfort could affect your mental health..

Not sure about you chaps but eating dog-food everyday would make me pretty bloody depressed.
Man's best friend just got a whole lot better. I think it's a lot worse if it's a dog you got friendly with or even a cat. I think it should take more of a toll if it was your pet or companion, you're on the brink of starvation and so is poochie mcgoo. You both won't last much longer, you really really gotta eat. You gonna die with your pup, or are you gonna put him out of his misery and use him one last time to save yourself? Adds to the drama and nature of this game I think.

Lt Snake X

ParaMedic
Backer
i would love the different things do different blows or help mental health. i love the cooking meal being better then just stomping a rat into a burger and cooking it on the stove idea i hope too see more expand on that idea. now the pets i'm on the fence cause like affirmatron said how the dog would react to zombie usually is all negative on you like barking dog possibly getting infected then infecting you or it dying causing your mental stability to go down but the idea of owning a pet in game is awesome idea plus watching any pet dying in real or virtual is sad and i have to even change the channel when ever i see those abused pet commercials on tv.

BigRed

Backer
An idea for mental state issues could be that as you kill more people then you start to see physical effects that make things harder for you. Things such as:
  • My favourite - talking to yourself. This could be an issue as it will alert other players, zombies and also wildlife affecting your ability to hunt. More murders mean more talking and louder.
  • Random shakes that appear and then dissipate - again they start infrequent and increase.
  • Tics and spasms - more violent than shakes as they make your arms twitch a huge amount in game. If it gets to bad it could make you fall over if walking or crash your car whilst driving.
The more people you kill the worse things get. The above could be random and which one you get and when is just that - random. Or you could start with talking to yourself and then you get the shakes as you murder more followed by the tics/spasms making shooting, driving, hiding almost impossible.

I don't know about you but if I was unable to hunt, hide from zombies or drive to get about then that would make life in the apocalypse impossible resulting in my taking a double dose of shotgun shells through the mouth :)

CptMugwash

Backer
I always imagined some kind of cook in a survivor group carrying around pots and pans and stuff, with the ability to grow your own food, catch and kill some meat you could make a nice broth or something, the thing is the way the cooking works in a lot of games, e.g. bung it on the fire until it's done, I think more games have it where you leave it too long it burns, but I'm on about going the extra mile in detail where you'd sit over your pan of soup stirring it and tasting it until it's ready. Not only does it affect your character cooking a lovely meal but for you it makes you much more immersed in the whole experience like you can almost smell the soup cooking.

Lt Snake X

ParaMedic
Backer
yea i can just see people dragging grills and smokers by their trucks they just looted from the local BBQ restaurant

ZacharyM

Backer
I really hope they add companion animals that sounds really cool! I think I would die before I ate my best friend but who knows :3
I would eat if no questions asked! but i never was a sentimental type; just doing what you have to to survive! The game may not be for faint of heart if they put in some of the suggestion have been giving!