• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Crafting Animations/Actions

Thread starter #1

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
I am pretty certain that this is discussed among other topics, so I thought I would bring it up specifically.

I am wondering to what extent crafting animations/actions will/should go.

My personal thoughts are I don't think that at any point the player should just stand there while a timer/bar in your UI/HUD is the "crafting" part of the game-play, it doesn't seem realistic...
Some example's are Rust, H1Z1 or 7DTD. I think animations or player interaction would have a better feel and look, like taping a torch to a gun could be an animation... after you click "craft" you would see the player tape the torch onto the gun... Then much like in the old videos the more physical crafting would be done through player interaction/actions an example would be when we seen the player reinforcing the RV, they needed to carry the sheet metal an place it in the desired position.

Thought's and idea's?

Mike Fellaway

- Life Is Strange™ -
Backer
I am pretty certain that this is discussed among other topics, so I thought I would bring it up specifically.

I am wondering to what extent crafting animations/actions will/should go.

My personal thoughts are I don't think that at any point the player should just stand there while a timer/bar in your UI/HUD is the "crafting" part of the game-play, it doesn't seem realistic...
Some example's are Rust, H1Z1 or 7DTD. I think animations or player interaction would have a better feel and look, like taping a torch to a gun could be an animation... after you click "craft" you would see the player tape the torch onto the gun... Then much like in the old videos the more physical crafting would be done through player interaction/actions an example would be when we seen the player reinforcing the RV, they needed to carry the sheet metal an place it in the desired position.

Thought's and idea's?
I really like the Idea of not just seeing the same animation for everything over and over again.
I could also imagine animations like: Going in the RV, starting it etc.. Especially if you craft something with your hands or harvest something I'd love to see some individual and unique animations :)

But I think these are just cosmetic things and might not be included into Alpha etc..

Also you would need to handle the hitbox while crafting - Are you "unkillable" while entering the RV or can somebody just shoot you in your back while you are in the animation?

I think it is quiet complicated but I hope you get my point :)!

PS: Nice to see you active on the Forums, really love your posts/Suggestions Num! :)

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
I second this idea as this will help with immersion and to be honest it will just make the game a little better. @Num47 During this crafting animation are you going to be able to spin around and look around while you do it? I would prefer the camera be fixed to head movement only. That way it adds scary factor for lets say changing a flat tire in the middle of town and zombies could be coming up behind you.

For smaller crafting like taping something to your gun yea you can spin around and do it all day but for actually harvesting or repairing vehicles is what I meant above.

Mike Fellaway

- Life Is Strange™ -
Backer
I second this idea as this will help with immersion and to be honest it will just make the game a little better. @Num47 During this crafting animation are you going to be able to spin around and look around while you do it? I would prefer the camera be fixed to head movement only. That way it adds scary factor for lets say changing a flat tire in the middle of town and zombies could be coming up behind you.
Nice idea! It would give you some freedom to look around, but let's say you want to cancel the crafting or you are getting shot. If you cancel, will the animation be instantly gone and you have your fists out or is there an other animation needed?

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
Nice idea! It would give you some freedom to look around, but let's say you want to cancel the crafting or you are getting shot. If you cancel, will the animation be instantly gone and you have your fists out or is there a other animation needed?
Perfect addition :) This would be a great feature to add.

Thread starter #6

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
But I think these are just cosmetic things and might not be included into Alpha etc..

Also you would need to handle the hitbox while crafting - Are you "unkillable" while entering the RV or can somebody just shoot you in your back while you are in the animation?

I think it is quiet complicated but I hope you get my point :)!

PS: Nice to see you active on the Forums, really love your posts/Suggestions Num! :)
The cosmetic bit is totally true... just thought I would bring this up :D... I personally don't think you should be unkillable at any point so hitbox's while crafting I agree with and it would be some work but I think it would be worth it.

And thanks :D
---

For smaller crafting like taping something to your gun yea you can spin around and do it all day but for actually harvesting or repairing vehicles is what I meant above.
For smaller crafting.. I think looking around i.e Dayz would be great and for repairing vehicles and such I think these guys have nailed it already in their initial videos.. I am just trying to emphasize this abit more, with everyone's help ofcourse :D

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
Because I think, if somebody needs to cancel the crafting ( for whatever reason ) there MUST be a animation, maybe with a joke - For example you are going into the RV and half way in
With regards to getting in the RV if you are halfway in and you cancel it than yes there should be an animation of you backing out. But with regards to weapon modding or vehicle repair you should not have an animations as you would just drop the tools you are using and have your fists out than you can swap to a weapon (or if you are modding lets say a shotgun than you would drop the tools and (flashlight for this instance) and have the shotgun equipped.

Thread starter #8

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
Nice idea! It would give you some freedom to look around, but let's say you want to cancel the crafting or you are getting shot. If you cancel, will the animation be instantly gone and you have your fists out or is there an other animation needed?
My thoughts would be that with an animation would be used on smaller crafting items where as larger objects that you craft could be done as you please with it being a player interaction.

With regards to getting in the RV if you are halfway in and you cancel it than yes there should be an animation of you backing out. But with regards to weapon modding or vehicle repair you should not have an animations as you would just drop the tools you are using and have your fists out than you can swap to a weapon (or if you are modding lets say a shotgun than you would drop the tools and (flashlight for this instance) and have the shotgun equipped.
Just dropping the item... that's probably it... would be the natural thing to do in this instance, so maybe that would be the "cancel animation" action.