• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

crafting items to hide chimney smoke

Thread starter #1

Biff

Survivor
Backer
what would be some ways one could hide chimney smoke? i was thinking you could clog the top, break open a hole closer to the bottom and create your own vent that might disperse the smoke more? or maybe just craft something you install at the very top that sends the smoke in several directions so it is at least less obvious someone is in the house. i think it'd be a cool building mod/crafting tool to help with stealthy survival

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.

Davz Not Here

Backer
what would be some ways one could hide chimney smoke? i was thinking you could clog the top, break open a hole closer to the bottom and create your own vent that might disperse the smoke more? or maybe just craft something you install at the very top that sends the smoke in several directions so it is at least less obvious someone is in the house. i think it'd be a cool building mod/crafting tool to help with stealthy survival

i have a wood stove

you can NOT hide chimney smoke

if you clog the hole, you will die from smoke inhalation
if you clog the hole you can have a flue fire (there goes your house in the worst case)

they make some stove pipe and chimney caps that 'diffuse' or 'spread' the smoke

^^^^^ this one is what we have on our stove pipe (painted black)

the link below is to the first image ..... BUT ..... if the devs wanted to take the time ..... and look through a bunch of these (and everything else at woodland direct), they would find a YUGE TONNE of info about the real life mechanics of stove/fireplace burning (which applies to coal, pellet stoves, and wood)

also, how you burn the wood, has a direct affect on the amount of smoke ..... when the flue is open, less smoke, more fire ..... dampen it down and you see more smoke at the chimney and the fire burns slower ..... as a general rule for our house, we only dampen the stove at night, so the wood will burn slower (all night) and leave us embers for the morning fire ..... and at my house at night ..... you can't see smoke coming out at all from from out side my door

this also affects 'creosote accumulation' .... creosote is a build up inside the chimney or pipe that can catch fire ..... you have to clean the chimney or flue every year or this stuff builds up to a dangerous point

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Weath...7c1161001_a2s__a3a__a2s_1161003#Weathershield Solid Pack:6"_Weathershield

Davz Not Here

Backer
i also forgot to mention that, the bulk of your heat, comes from embers, not flame.

pad69jr

Backer
I have cut , split, stacked and burned wood for heat for over 45 years. You can not block a chimney and you can not hide smoke.
Most people die from smoke inhalation when house fires occurr. There are many that die from carbon monoxide poisoning from blocked exhaust vents and chimneys. The build up of creosote can block as well as start a chimney fire which in turn will burn down your home.

Seeing smoke at night is unlikely and or during the day time either; because you never see the light glow from a fire enclosed and exhausted from a tall chimney at night. (During the day if your fire is burning at the correct temperature it means your smoke output is clean and a fine wisp of smoke might be seen; but during cooler temperatures you can see the heat waves. The only time a chimney or open fire generates smoke is at the beginning until the fire comes up to temperature and when you are burning dry wood. Wet wood generates lots of smoke and so does any biological fuel) You can see heat and wispy smoke if it is back light from the moons light or on extremely bright night skies like during a full moon.

The true give away from a wood fire enclosed or not is the fact that you will smell it long before you see it!

I hope the DEV's remember true life physics of fire from wood as well as all real world environments.

With that in mind I do believe I understand what the DEV's are doing with the game. They are trying to make as much as possible of the existing world interactive for entering existing structures they have put in the play field. As players it is our goal to make due with the play world they developed to survive the best we can. The ability to interact in this world is where their real concerns are and so decisions must be made of what is considered. The crafting area is great minds working together. This makes a great game that no others have done as of yet.

Last edited:

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Well said bud and Welcome to the forum :)

So by this I guess they should consider what you're burning too... that is if they allow us to burn other materials other than wood like plastics for example.

Which is cool and something I have not seen considered in games.

pad69jr

Backer
Well said bud and Welcome to the forum :)

So by this I guess they should consider what you're burning too... that is if they allow us to burn other materials other than wood like plastics for example.

Which is cool and something I have not seen considered in games.
Thank you for the welcome. Yes many things can be burned but they are not necessarily good to do and actually may make the fire harder to burn for good heat. Burning your garbage and then having to empty that God awful mess later is not a pretty sight as I know because one of my youth jobs was a garbage dude. ;)