• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

crosshair?

crosshair?

• Total voters

jim

The Lords' Illusion
Backer
...?

Just because a rifle is accurate at 400 yards while your Brenyco is accurate to 4, that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. The quality of a firearm doesn't equal effective use from the hip.
What are you talking about? I'm not talking about hip fire or anything along the lines of that. I'm talking about the degree to which the result of a measurement, calculation, or specification conforms to the correct value or a standard. Snipers have crosshairs that can specify up to 1000ft and for the most part are very accurate. Although shotguns have no cross hair and a high bullet spread ratio. No where did I ever say we were talking about hip fire nor was this ever pointed out in the original suggestion.

Applejaxc

Backer
He is refrerring to Scopes etc
Is there an argument made by the OP for or against the inclusion of scopes? They're a confirmed feature, aren't they? (We've seen them in game)

woodsy223

Backer
...I fail to see how you are prevented from using your iron sights with firearms with your condition. I'd imagine you're at the same disadvantage either way. Regardless, I'm on the fence about melee weapon corsshairs.
from haveing a lazy eye it can make you see double or see in the wrong place so it could be pointed at the head but its actually pointed on the shoulder

Baby Blender

big man
Backer
There are two parts of this that I sort of am conflicted about.

A.) The dot can be used to hipfire in unreal/uncanny accuracy compared to real life, and could possibly prevent use of aiming down scopes.

But on the other side of the argument...:

B.) The dot could make up for the fact that you lose a lot of cordination and aiming abilities by not actually having human senses.

MrMoose

Real talk
Backer
Bump!

Noticed in the most recent devblog video there is a dot crosshair; considering the general consensus from the votes/replies seems to be against it, wanted to bring this up again.

Agreeing with most everybody else, I strongly disagree with any sort of crosshair in the game. I also disagree with this being a server option, taking a stand and forcing a few "hardcore" mechanics on players would be good imo.

Hate seeing some of the most popular public DayZ (Mod/SA) servers being softcore 24/7 day, third person, high loot/vehicle spawns etc etc.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
heh I voted yes by mistake :confused: caught me off-guard having Yes as the second option...

Moderator #27

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Community Mod
Backer
Bump!

Noticed in the most recent devblog video there is a dot crosshair; considering the general consensus from the votes/replies seems to be against it, wanted to bring this up again.

Agreeing with most everybody else, I strongly disagree with any sort of crosshair in the game. I also disagree with this being a server option, taking a stand and forcing a few "hardcore" mechanics on players would be good imo.

Hate seeing some of the most popular public DayZ (Mod/SA) servers being softcore 24/7 day, third person, high loot/vehicle spawns etc etc.
I couldn't agree more personally.

I am not into a powder puff version of a survival game, it is why I like the genre. IMO I would strongly love to see a game that is hard, where memory, critical thinking, and problem solving skills are tested and used.

However, it really depends on other options that the devs give to server admins and such. If there was a dot that could be turned on or off in server options, that would be alright, but I am with you. If you leave it out, people will have to actually get skilled with accuracy and such.

MrMoose

Real talk
Backer
I couldn't agree more personally.

I am not into a powder puff version of a survival game, it is why I like the genre. IMO I would strongly love to see a game that is hard, where memory, critical thinking, and problem solving skills are tested and used.

However, it really depends on other options that the devs give to server admins and such. If there was a dot that could be turned on or off in server options, that would be alright, but I am with you. If you leave it out, people will have to actually get skilled with accuracy and such.
Agreed. I think forcing players out of their comfort zone a little from what they're used to ie invisible hotbar, no crosshair will definitely make it feel more immersive, and engaging.
Really hope with a few things like this the devs don't go the easy server option route and really force players to play a game without all the familiarity and comfort of a standard HUD. Really glad they're sticking with first person only as well.

Moderator #29

DemoCar82

Community Mod
Backer
Agreed. I think forcing players out of their comfort zone a little from what they're used to ie invisible hotbar, no crosshair will definitely make it feel more immersive, and engaging.
Really hope with a few things like this the devs don't go the easy server option route and really force players to play a game without all the familiarity and comfort of a standard HUD. Really glad they're sticking with first person only as well.
Totally agree.

Castillo

Survivor
Backer
Honestly, I'd feel much better playing with a crosshair and a HUD. If anything, it'd feel forceful to not have it. To be fair, there should be an option to toggle the HUD and crosshair etc for the people that actually prefer not to have it visible.

MrMoose

Real talk
Backer
Honestly, I'd feel much better playing with a crosshair and a HUD. If anything, it'd feel forceful to not have it. To be fair, there should be an option to toggle the HUD and crosshair etc for the people that actually prefer not to have it visible.
Which is exactly why there shouldn't be one. A zombie survival game striving for realism should have mechanics/features that make you feel uncomfortable, even down to the HUD. The more depth of gameplay, and higher skill/learning caps, the better.

What's so wrong with playing a game different to what you're used to?

EDIT: And then when/if this gets VR support, fuck any sort of HUD.

Moderator #32

DemoCar82

Community Mod
Backer
Yeah, I won't say I am totally against it... My issue is we've all become "spoiled" or accustomed to the dot/crosshair, which I never truly liked in a FPS game either.

I would like to see something new, the harder the game is and the more it takes you to learn to be good, and have a ton of stuff to do, the better the game will be over-all.

Klaasvakie

The forum cat
Backer
I think there is something you are overlooking here. I truly understand how you feel about the dot, however in my opinion it's main purpose is not for shooting of any sorts. If you remove the dot there will be no indication on how to interact with objects such as pick up items on floors, pressing buttons etc. It will get REALLY irritating trying to figure out how to pick something up or press something by jerking your mouse around until some text for the action pops up. Even though realism is a key part, this remains a game and needs some compromise to facilitate for some of the functions you can perform as a human.

I prefer the dot. Looking at DayZ for example, I've never encountered anyone winning a fire fight by using the dot as a crosshair. Not using ironsights is normally a instant death.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
I think there is something you are overlooking here. I truly understand how you feel about the dot, however in my opinion it's main purpose is not for shooting of any sorts. If you remove the dot there will be no indication on how to interact with objects such as pick up items on floors, pressing buttons etc. It will get REALLY irritating trying to figure out how to pick something up or press something by jerking your mouse around until some text for the action pops up. Even though realism is a key part, this remains a game and needs some compromise to facilitate for some of the functions you can perform as a human.

I prefer the dot. Looking at DayZ for example, I've never encountered anyone winning a fire fight by using the dot as a crosshair. Not using ironsights is normally a instant death.
Maybe they will have a hand icon appear to show you your close enough to interact, plus they also have a little info tab show up when your looking at something interactive....just my guess :)

Moderator #35

DemoCar82

Community Mod
Backer
I consistently wipe guys out with "hip shots" in DayZ SA, in third person or 1st person... But, I see what your saying Klaasvakie, I partially agree... I just prefer a hard learning curve, and things that are new in games.