1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with hackers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by m0rtalk0mbat, Aug 2, 2017.

1. m0rtalk0mbat

m0rtalk0mbat New Member

Aug 2, 2017
    Hi, I recently saw the youtube video you guys posted and it spiked my interest in this game. I've played a lot of survival games but I don't even touch them anymore because of the large number of people who use simple ESP and aimbot hacks.

My question is, did you guys take preventative measures so that this unfortunate reality of MMO-survival games aren't going to be consistently present in Survive The Nights? I don't see myself wanting to invest days and days into this game only to be killed by some guy paying 10$ a month for a 3rd party aim/wallhack assist.

And just to be clear I'm asking specifically about ESP (wallhacks) and Aimbots, but most commonly ESP. Is the game going to be easy to use wallhacks on? That's all I was wondering about, thank you.

2. Dr. J

Dr. J Survivor Backer

Aug 14, 2014
    My 'two pence' on this is the Dev.s are flat out trying to get the Alpha game out at the moment, and will get round to any cheating mods. after that. I may well be wrong here.

I know there's ESP hacks used by hackers in Rust (also built in Unity, I believe), so a very valid concern as the game develops.

3. Hauger

Hauger Moderator Community Mod Backer

Apr 17, 2016
    Yeah, they are taking steps to prevent this.

Num47 and Dr. J like this.
  4. Num47

Num47 Sexual Tyrannosaurus Backer

Feb 24, 2015
    I bet if you need to pay regularly to get one up on people, you also gonna be paying regularly to get one up a chick.

I hope the devs add something that alters the game for cheaters... for example like if it detects you using an aimbot, all your guns will fire blanks.

[BDG] Triikor, Robski and Dr. J like this.
  5. Dr. J

Dr. J Survivor Backer

Aug 14, 2014
    Or perhaps misfire / jam / degrade a lot faster?

6. Num47

Num47 Sexual Tyrannosaurus Backer

Feb 24, 2015
    Nah, just straight up shoot blanks, they wanna ruin other peoples fun then do the same to them... if they ain't kicked/banned already. I have no time for cheaters/hackers.

Dr. J likes this.
  7. m0rtalk0mbat

m0rtalk0mbat New Member

Aug 2, 2017
    Can you link me any statements from them on this topic? Because I couldn't find anything

8. Darkstar 影

Darkstar 影 Lone Survivor Backer

Jun 4, 2017
    They can't do damage and always have 1 hp, with a permanent note on their back that says "Cheater" x3

Num47 and Dr. J like this.
  9. Dr. J

Dr. J Survivor Backer

Aug 14, 2014
    I rather like having the 'cheater' bit appended to the player name in game, but we'd need an appeal process. Server admins / Forum mods / Devs who take time to review any available logs to see if this was the case.

Darkstar 影 likes this.
  10. Hauger

Apr 17, 2016
    No. I don't wanna say anything and give any potential hackers a head start

11. ld-airgrafix

ld-airgrafix Survivor Backer

Feb 4, 2015
    No game has 100% hacker free defence. But it would be awesome not to mention funny, to ridicule them in some way, rather than just ban

Num47 likes this.
  12. m0rtalk0mbat

m0rtalk0mbat New Member

Aug 2, 2017
    Ok, I wasn't asking for details though on how they would prevent it; just that they acknowledged the 2 most commonly used hacks, which are very hard to detect and ban players for.

I want to believe you, because for me this would be the biggest issue with the game. I don't really care about the price or wait, just that its going to be a fair battleground. But I don't think theirs been any preventative measures taken.

I guess though il have to wait till the game is released and see how it turns out.

13. m0rtalk0mbat

m0rtalk0mbat New Member

Aug 2, 2017
    If its possible, it would be great if one of the developers could chime in on this. I'd really like to hear from them about this matter in particular.

14. Darkstar 影

Darkstar 影 Lone Survivor Backer

Jun 4, 2017
    @JB_

15. Hauger

Apr 17, 2016
    Look below.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  16. JB_

JB_ Developer Staff Member Developer

Jul 25, 2014
    Our servers are authoritative which means server logic is independent from the clients and most decisions are made by the server which makes it harder for people to manipulate situations. This will however not be all, we’re always looking for ways to improve cheat protection. We’re also exploring 3rd party anti cheat solutions and steams VAC system. Our servers will and can be heavily moderated this also allows for greater control of just how a server will run and how secure it will be.

^^ From the FAQ we'll do what we can to stop hacking as hacking issues arise, really the best way to fight it and our only option beyond the measures we've already taken.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  17. m0rtalk0mbat

m0rtalk0mbat New Member

Aug 2, 2017
    I get that you guys are pushing to get the game out quickly and I doubt hacking prevention is high on your list of priorities. But I understand this games made with the same engine as Rust, and that game is full of people using ESP and aimbot to this day, despite it being out for years; so its just kind of a red flag for me.

What I'm saying is, is that if you have taken no preventative measures against ESP/aimbot use, your game is going to be full of people using those things, just like it is with Rust. If you don't want to answer me that's fine but if you can address the issue directly, id appreciate it.

My question was, how easy will it be for people to use ESP/aimbot hacks on your game? Thank you

18. Sneakydude

Sneakydude Survivor Backer

Jul 24, 2016
    Best protection to date was the AAPG system, with a 3rd party tool. The screenshot utility they made, made it extra proof to ban players from your server. With dedicated server admins, reviewing screenshot captures randomly to the client allowed them to see cheat injectors being used. It wasn't fully proof but eventually those players got VAC bans. AAPG Americans army proving grounds. I had the honors to review it, understand it and become a member of the cheat system. Everyone was working hard at this to avoid all forms of cheating. In combination with VAC, and other tools, you had those buggers pretty much sent to the toilet. @Clinton able to confirm-create something like this? would allow you to put your logo on it for future games.

But besides that, i would rather get it started then put in something in place, in combination with your server tools we should be really well setup to ban cheaters, not hackers since there is only a few good ones out there.

19. -=312th=- Dagnabit

-=312th=- Dagnabit Member Backer

Jun 21, 2017
    The -=312th=- are pillars in the ACI community for AAPG. Our clan premise is fair-play and we are very active with ACI. We have active game admins and our own Anti-Cheat staff in our clan to sniff out cheaters and do back-round checks ect.

I believe that with active admins on the STN game servers, game servers will be policed just fine. I tell our -=312th=- members, "This game community is what we want to make it."

20. Sneakydude

Sneakydude Survivor Backer

Jul 24, 2016
    I am sure Lordbud and myself have played with or against you guys in the AAPG community. Fair game play is all we wanted with EAC Vac, and ACI was awesome.

Both of us are going to relook at aapg again soon, to play a few rounds.

-=312th=- Dagnabit likes this.