• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Destructable Stairways

Thread starter #1

RamRod11Bang

- Rah, kill. -
Backer
You are being chased by a horde of Z's. You see a house in the distance through the trees and make for the front door. You see a sledgehammer leaning against the garage building so you grab it to defend yourself.

You make your way into the house only to find you have nothing to barricade with and the front door lock is broken.

As you run upstairs, you make a snap decision to use the sledgehammer you found and destroy the steps behind you, effectively keeping the horde at a safe distance. You breathe a sigh of relief, but hear a moaning sound coming from down the hallway a few doors down....

Sam00197

Sam '00197' Monahan
Backer
YES!

Only problem is your now in a house surrounded in zeds and your only way out is to clear some and hop through a window! (lets hope you got plenty of ammo, a distraction and can make a good rope!

Thread starter #3

RamRod11Bang

- Rah, kill. -
Backer
YES!

Only problem is your now in a house surrounded in zeds and your only way out is to clear some and hop through a window! (lets hope you got plenty of ammo, a distraction and can make a good rope!
That's the beauty of it all. Can you imagine the fear of having to clear the second floor for Z's and gather supplies? Then you'd have to risk slowly going off the roof or chance an ankle break by jumping.

Sam00197

Sam '00197' Monahan
Backer
That's the beauty of it all. Can you imagine the fear of having to clear the second floor for Z's and gather supplies? Then you'd have to risk slowly going off the roof or chance an ankle break by jumping.
I would have it all set up before hand, a car under a window of a house so i could hop out and into the car then drive of ! Maybe even park and RV so i can jump onto its roof, slide in through the top and get away !

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
I am not a fan of this idea. Have you ever tried to remove stairs in a house? You would be spending the better half of a day trying to destroy them. I understand this is a game but I do not see this as being as simply as a few seconds with a sledge hammer. Stairs are made up of cross beams and stair runners that are made to hold up to 1 ton. A man with a sledge hammer just isn't going to do it in a timely fashion to avoid zombies.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
I do agree with @NothingsTRUE , but the idea of stairs or maybe a wall being destructible through decay and or derelict buildings might not be a bad thing (probably mentioned before knowing this place :p)... but being able to destroy steps in anyplace would be a no from me.

Thread starter #7

RamRod11Bang

- Rah, kill. -
Backer
I do agree with @NothingsTRUE , but the idea of stairs or maybe a wall being destructible through decay and or derelict buildings might not be a bad thing (probably mentioned before knowing this place :p)... but being able to destroy steps in anyplace would be a no from me.
I have brought great shame upon this forum. I posted without brushing up on my carpentry knowledge. I guess thinking more on the subject it does seem kind of impractical.

NathanD

Freelance Bum
Backer
Forget the sledgehammer , you need a chainsaw and at least 15 minutes . Best move would be to block the top in a rush .

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
I have brought great shame upon this forum. I posted without brushing up on my carpentry knowledge. I guess thinking more on the subject it does seem kind of impractical.
You misunderstood me bud... its not a bad idea, if they have destructible stairs, walls things of that nature due to decay then breaking stairs in an old run-down building isn't an impractical thing. ;)

And no shame upon you.

Thread starter #10

RamRod11Bang

- Rah, kill. -
Backer
You misunderstood me bud... its not a bad idea, if they have destructible stairs, walls things of that nature due to decay then breaking stairs in an old run-down building isn't an impractical thing. ;)

And no shame upon you.

Indeed I did misunderstand you. The more I think about it the more I like the idea of just blocking the stairs with furniture.

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
Indeed I did misunderstand you. The more I think about it the more I like the idea of just blocking the stairs with furniture.
Yes being able to destroy stairs in Run down building would be alot easier. I think a better solution would be to break a door of the hinges and use it as a barricade between the bottom floor and top floor. Shouldn't take but a few swings with the sludge hammer to knock a door off the hinges.

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
Forget the sledgehammer , you need a chainsaw and at least 15 minutes . Best move would be to block the top in a rush .
even with a chainsaw most stair was are anchored from bottom to top all along the sides to the internal walls so even cutting the top of the stairs where they mount to the upper floor would just result in a lot of wasted time. They also have mid section 4x4 posts to support them better.

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
No shame at all man this is how the collective come up with better ideas but discussing things :) you are fine man!

Brandon.P

The Marksman
Backer
But then the stairs will be forever destroyed in the server, unless someone repairs them using the craft menu? or smack it with a hammer. Im even thinking the idea of building stuff with a simple hammer would be cool, smacking a thing of boards would turn it into a barricade etc... This could be a nice addition destructible stairs/environment.

NathanD

Freelance Bum
Backer
even with a chainsaw most stair was are anchored from bottom to top all along the sides to the internal walls so even cutting the top of the stairs where they mount to the upper floor would just result in a lot of wasted time. They also have mid section 4x4 posts to support them better.
Yep , I know , but a chainsaw will remove anything given enough time . Simple enough to saw out the carcass but removing it would be the hardest part . Still I reckon with a horde of zeds banging around out side I'm sure you would surprise yourself in how fast you can get stuff done :p