• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Difficult Firearm Recognition

Too difficult or simple Minutiae?

• Total voters
Thread starter #1

Applejaxc

Backer
Hi.

This might only please those ultra-hardcore-survival-sim lovers and put off a lot of the filthy casuals that also comprise the community. Because of this inevitable conflict, I will propose this compromise immediately: Difficulty would operate as an on-off switch for this proposal, which is this:

Don't name every weapon "AK47 7.62mm" and "AR15 5.56mm"; have a variety of weapons that are similar in appearance and use different calibres/magazines and leave it to the player to learn what uses what. Trying to insert the wrong magazine would be answered with a "It doesn't fit" message. Passing 7.62 through a 5.45 rifle would have serious repercussions, though an AK47 and AK74 can be difficult to tell apart to the casual player.

For this to work, the designers would have to pay close attention to the distinguishing features. An AK74 would have a deeper groove near the receiver than a '47; an AR15 modified to use .22 might have a shorter charging handle. An M1911A1 in 10mm might have a wider grip and larger barrel while a normally .44 revolver chambered in 9mm might have a smaller cylinder or a smaller hammer.

For those who don't want to deal with this added element:
In a weapon's information, which I assume will be in .xml format for the benefit of the community, there would be two lines for display name. Whenever the game wants to know the display name (not the classname, used internally by the game and never displayed to the player) the game would determine whether or not a sufficient difficulty was selected to choose one or the other option.

displayname_easy: "Ak47"
displayname_hard: "Assault rifle"

OR there could be several displays that scale with difficult:

displayname_easy: "Ak47 7.62mm"
displayname_average: "Ak47"
displayname_difficult: "Avtomat Kalashnikov"
displayname_hardest: "Assault rifle" (as you can imagine at maximum difficulty, all weapons would be generically named "Pistol" "Revolver" "Assault Rifle" "Submachine Gun" "Rifle")

In addition, firearm manuals could be introduced the way others have suggested survival manuals teaching players new trap recipes. They could "Combine" a manual and a weapon to "Create" a manual and renaming the weapon "Ak47," and in the weapon's description the calibre field would be "7.62mm" instead of "???" The player could also experiment and, if they guess correctly, the calibre field would be replaced with the appropriate calibre.

MrMoose

Real talk
Backer
I'd rather the developers spend time on creating totally different firearms than variants, the novelty of which I think would fade very quickly.
Your other examples are just too specific. Who's stockpiling 10mm ammo, or even uses it in the first place? I've never heard of someone throwing a 9mm conversion kit into a .44 revolver. It's a survival simulator, not a gun simulator.

Thread starter #3

Applejaxc

Backer
I've never heard of someone throwing a 9mm conversion kit into a .44 revolver
Then you don't have a family of penny-pinching firearm owners.

I also want there to be as much variety as possible but variance within one family provides depth and realism and shouldn't be discounted. It isn't an issue of one or the other; the overall goal of as fulfilling a list as possible should be achieved through including different families and the family tree. If there is an M16A1, 2, 3, and 4, players have to learn which ones are burst fire and which ones jam more often. If there are M1911A1s chambered in more than one calibre, they can mix-and-match cosmetics and functionality.
I want to see an even-handed focus on variety and subvariety.

MrMoose

Real talk
Backer
Then you don't have a family of penny-pinching firearm owners.

I also want there to be as much variety as possible but variance within one family provides depth and realism and shouldn't be discounted. It isn't an issue of one or the other; the overall goal of as fulfilling a list as possible should be achieved through including different families and the family tree. If there is an M16A1, 2, 3, and 4, players have to learn which ones are burst fire and which ones jam more often. If there are M1911A1s chambered in more than one calibre, they can mix-and-match cosmetics and functionality.
I want to see an even-handed focus on variety and subvariety.
Still seems like a waste of time for negligible payoff, let's agree to disagree.
Also, devs said they wanted civilian weapons, which M16's are not.

Thread starter #5

Applejaxc

Backer
Still seems like a waste of time for negligible payoff, let's agree to disagree.
Also, devs said they wanted civilian weapons, which M16's are not.
They've still neglected to discuss the kind of society existed on the island prior to the end of the world. It would make it a lot easier to make any suggestions if they would clarify all of what they are aiming for.

BattleToad

Backer
I totally disagree with MrMoose, this sounds like a cool as f**k addition to the game. It would most likely take very little time to implement and would certainly add to the overall atmosphere and realism of the game. Ideally for me, there would be individual keybinds for each operation of the firearm (Opening/closing bolt, magazine ejection, forward assist, safety etc.) but I think that would be a little to far-gone for the audience. Just a gun nerd ;)

Thread starter #7

Applejaxc

Backer
I totally disagree with MrMoose, this sounds like a cool as f**k addition to the game. It would most likely take very little time to implement and would certainly add to the overall atmosphere and realism of the game. Ideally for me, there would be individual keybinds for each operation of the firearm (Opening/closing bolt, magazine ejection, forward assist, safety etc.) but I think that would be a little to far-gone for the audience. Just a gun nerd ;)
I've played games before where the entire process is different keybinds, reloading takes an hour, and you have to repack magazines. It sounded like fun at first, but it was a freaking nightmare. Then it jammed and I had to field strip it. I learned to choose the Ak47 every time because of the Internet's false assumption that they have a 0% jamming rate.

I'm glad you liked the idea, but that might be a bit much overboard. I guess fumbling with the controls for the first time would be like someone trying to fumble with a gun for the first time.

Cookie

Officially Unofficial.
Backer
Cool idea! I would just like a couple of key binds to turn on/off safety and chamber bullets. Imagine this, I'm reloading, but I don't want to chamber it yet because there's bandit just around the corner. So you wait until they're out of earshot... Ka chink! On topic though, is this 9mm? No this is 9mm and that's 10mm, wait... Ah what the heck! Jam that into the gun and see if it works!

Last edited:
I know this may sound like a good idea but most firearms have serial numbers and makers marks on the barrel for that very reason

( I get the ones that got converted) Example:

BattleToad

Backer
They could even add a feature where you could inspect a 3D model of the gun for that reason. But again, that's probably going a little too far for a small feature like this.

Cookie

Officially Unofficial.
Backer
They could even add a feature where you could inspect a 3D model of the gun for that reason. But again, that's probably going a little too far for a small feature like this.
I think that would be cool, but I guess it's a liiiitle far...

BABYBLACKHOLE

Tiny darkness
Backer
As has been mentioned in other posts, this is an island community, I cant imagine too many people owning guns let alone 10 types of assault rifles!

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
I actually agree with this post in one simple answer. What i buy is not what he buys. I for one have a .308 hunting rifle. My buddy I hunt with chose a 30-06. Same gun, same look and the only difference is the barrel size and maybe the action. +1 for bringing this up.