• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Disable traps?

Thread starter #1

Bcaskey04

Mr. Nice guy
Backer
Will there be the ability to disable traps? And (most likely) can you own traps kill you. Because it would suck if you put down a bear trap then at night when you can't see you accidentally step in it, it breaks your leg then you get mauled by a zombie and die. :(

Finndawg

El Sobreviviente
Backer
I think it'd actually be really cool if your own trap could kill you, only in that that's really what would happen if you stepped on your bear trap at night haha.

And in my opinion I think you defininatly should be able to disable traps, if not other people's traps at least your own.

Mallander

Developer
Backer
I think you should be able to disable them, depending on what kind of trap it is (Obviously some wouldn't be able to be safely disabled)

VenomB

Hype Train Conductor
Backer
Your own traps can kill you, the ability to disable them isn't one we've thought about. What does everyone else think?
Yes and no. I say some traps should be able to be popped by throwing something into it (ie trip wire), or disable using the correct tools (ie crowbar, pliers, etc).

It is an interesting thing that, if balanced properly, can be a huge gameplay changer. It would also require you to place traps carefully so they aren't spotted as easily.

Lt Snake X

ParaMedic
Backer
I believe you should be able to disable them but only with either certain items or skill level because its not like someone with no EOD training can disable an IED without a lot of luck

M_Dawg

Officially Awesome
Backer
Your own traps can kill you, the ability to disable them isn't one we've thought about. What does everyone else think?
You should be able to click a trap to bring up the inventory of it and remove pieces of traps to disable them. @Lt Snake X Also thought this was a great idea.

FlashPaperGrind

That Guy
Backer
Ok, yeah, some traps maybe.

Lets say you steal my idea for the log drop, and place it on the roof. Then decide nah f**k it, lets take it down. Will there be a skill level required for certain traps? If you cock it up, will the log drop fall on you and kill you because you are too stupid?

I think skill level are required to disable certain traps. Like the IED trap cant just be disabled by anyone!

Like, if you see a trap, perhaps you should be able to click on it to see the parts list and then take parts off it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Moderator #10

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Community Mod
Backer
Like others said, maybe with the certain 'mechanical' skill, some traps can be disabled, potentially the higher the skill the more you can disable. Also, like Venom said, I hope we can throw a rock of stick and hit a trip wire, or whatever activates certain traps to make it "go off" without being in it. Love the idea of your own trap damaging or killing you.

An expansion on other ideas in here would be, maybe when disabling a trap (if you have the correct skill), you must remove the correct item/part from the trap for it not to "trip" the trap on yourself... and/or if you have a high enough skill it would show the specific order in which you needed to disassemble the traps so they didn't go off.

Finndawg

El Sobreviviente
Backer
I think if you're going to make it skil based, it would turn the entire game like that, I personally think only some traps should be able to be disabled, and others will have to be simply set off by throwing a rock or other item onto them setting them off, if it's skill based then trap setting would also have to be a skill, and making it skills could be a tad risky, that's just my opinion.

Christian Lund

Backer
In my opinion some traps should be able to be disarmed, but only the ones that makes sense. They shouldn't be dismounted, but disables. Traps triggered by tripwire, could be disarmed by cutting the wire with pliers, and therefor still standing, but not functioning. Then you would only need a new wire for it to be functioning instead of the whole trap being trashed.
A trap, lets say anything triggered by ex. opening a door, wouldnt be able to dismount from outside of the door, but only on the inside.
I think there should be some level of logic involved, so if i find a trap, and take out a part, before i disarmed it, it would trigger.

strategos2411

Survivor
Backer
Disabling traps should be a thing :)

Like others have said, it should be dependant on the type/complexity of the trap and how many components it has.

Some traps could just be picked up though (like my rake and stake idea) if they have no mechanical/moving parts and are very basic.

Maroszek

Backer
I would vote yes on disabling the traps--might be a good way to pick up an extra shotgun/resources too if folks leave too many around.

darkfire1321

Backer
Hell ya

fridibs

That one guy...
Backer
Depends if it is disabling the traps server wise or for example take the shotgun shells out of a shotgun trap. The latter of those two would be pretty cool to see.

LittleMoe

Backer
You can always put firearms on safe (May be wrong). When you interact with the shotgun trap you could just change the weapon to safe, and im not sure how the other traps work so I can not offer feedback on those.

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
Yeah it would depend on the trap, some of the traps are activatable like the propane flame trap you can see in the video's and some you have to shoot like the proane tank/blow horn combonation you can also see in the vid's. You would have to be careful with some trap's since the point of some of the trap triggers is to activate at the slightest touch, the shotgun trap for example seems to be one of those. I think some trap's you should be able to simply turn off and some should take some finnesse to disable, it should be hard to get past someones trap's but it should be possible.

I really liked paying attenion to my surroundings in Fallout so I had a chance to disable one of the many traps before they killed me. You needed experiance in repair skills to disable certain traps because there is no experiance system in STN I assume maybe we could have other prequesites to disabling trap's. Instead of certain skills and levels maybe we would need certain tools to disable trap's like screwdrivers, plier's and wire cutters.