• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Discussion: Thinking long term of Survive The Nights

Thread starter #1

Lethargica

Backer
I think it is worth thinking about how STN can become a game that will last many years after it's release. How can it be ensured that this game will not become stale after a long time, and instead, be something that will 'age like wine'? The developers are doing a very impressive job in this respect so far, but what do you guys think would make this game as successful and lasting as possible? Are there any highly successful/lasting games that may have ideas that would help benefit STN, too? It may be important to have this kind of discussion over with before the actual release of the game, so that the game engine can be prepared to last.

I fear that there will be a point in STN where it will become too repetitive and boring, just like most games. Active developers and an active community will definitely help, but also consider the time after development stops for real, what can keep people feeling the need to jump onto their computers after school/work and play STN?

Sneakydude

Survivor
Backer
Well, i cant answer this. I am not a Wiki Lore guy, and forget things that where mentioned. But as long as there is active community, Role playing, and Modding going on, the game will survive a long time. Now not 1 single game can last years without a new design. Your fears of it lasting 10+ years will become true. Games live a max life span of 3-5 years after completion. It is a fact, the only ones that do not die off are MMO's larger scaled, but they are forced to extend it year after year with new content.
EQ 18+ years, Wow 15+ yrs, Shadowbane = dead, Doac = dead, those are older mmo's and EQ will go next before wow does. It is by the community size.

So hosting it on your own tower? sure you can extend it longer, just mod it yourself and maybe it will last longer.

Thread starter #3

Lethargica

Backer
Now not 1 single game can last years without a new design. Your fears of it lasting 10+ years will become true. Games live a max life span of 3-5 years after completion.
Quakeworld and Half-Life 1 have been released in 1998, and are still fairly active, without too much maintenance required. I am not so much interested in the maintenance of a giant community, but for it to nearly become a part of one's life for some; to be good enough for people to invest a very long time into the game without much regret. This game deserves to last many more years than what it takes to create it, that's for sure.

strategos2411

Survivor
Backer
With the devs plans to add more islands in the future, this will extend it's life, and if they play it smart with the release times of future content, then they will be able to maintain a steady player base.

Say they stick with only Black Island until all the mechanics/features etc that they want added are working as expected, zombie ai, combat, fortifications etc, peeps are having a fun time playing the "base game" then in a month or two players start to lose interest. Everyones seen all the POIs, fortified their houses, fought countless zeds, and player count starts to drop, BOOM! drop in a new island, interest picks up again, peeps are now wanting to go check out the new island.

At this point it's down to the devs, if Island 2 is a rehash of Black Island, player count drops again as it's more of the same, however, if they can add a level of uniqueness to each of the future islands then it adds something more. What they could do to make each island unique, while still within the current feel/look of Black Island, or the game in general? A prison island has been discussed, offshore platforms, different climates(extreme heat/cold). I'd say at some point, further suggestion and discussion of the future islands will be necessary.

The other obvious big factor as @Sneakydude says is the modding community. Lots of folks want planes/helis etc, but the devs are pretty firm they won't add them, but if someone mods them in, then all the folks that want flight are happy. Same thing with military gear, tanks, and any other stuff that may not necessarily fit the devs vision for the final game.

At some point i'd like to see an "end game" modded in, complete a set of tasks to be rescued/escape from the island(s), possibly tasks that can only be done in groups, there's so much more that could or may be added.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Perhaps the community can help out a little?
There's been so much good input and ideas coming from everyone.
If we need to get some more funding to the overworked Dev team, well I'm right here.
It's been a long journey so far, and we're so close!
I hope when the game drops there's going to be so much hype on the internet a lot of new people buy it :)

ld-airgrafix

Survivor
Backer
Movie/series rights, comic book series, novels(just look at the quality of stories in Player Lore thread).
Steam is branching into many platforms. They feature a Half-life comic, based on the game. There are many ways to advertise the game, bringing in new players to keep the game going strong.

Sneakydude

Survivor
Backer
Perhaps the community can help out a little?
There's been so much good input and ideas coming from everyone.
If we need to get some more funding to the overworked Dev team, well I'm right here.
It's been a long journey so far, and we're so close!
I hope when the game drops there's going to be so much hype on the internet a lot of new people buy it :)
This is where i have seen Kickstarter 2 pop up to add new content to extend the life, or simply upgrade engines, and or costs to appease the community.

Your completely right, but i got a good feeling here J, that the community will support itself in the months to come with Steam purchases and sales. I hope it does well, but not too well until we can hammer out the influx of players. Oh... expect some dayz folks to try this one out.

Moderator #9

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Community Mod
Backer
Longevity, IMO, will come with how complex and open ended the game is... or can be in the future. Project Zomboid is a perfect example in this genre, and also has a great community, and many mods to go along with it.

Here are my personal thoughts:

A) Sheer complexity, the amount of stuff that you can actually do will mean a lot.
B) When we see a specific type of leveling/skills system in place, that adds a huge replayability factor depending on play styles and such.
C) Server options, where admins/players can play a variety of scenarios/difficulties all within one game.
D) Continued community support and input will be huge to the devs and to keep the game going.
E) Mods/community. Once the right tools are available, in this type of game, we'll see all kinds of cool mods to go along with it. (Ex. Rust)