• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

DIY Black Powder

Thread starter #1

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
Firstly, sorry if this has been suggested. I did a very quick, very basic search and turned up nothing.

This video explains the general process.

Keep in mind the video shows items we may not necessarily be able to use due to lack of power, at least until you're able to generate power. I'll provide some no-power substitutions below (tools such as hammer, hacksaw, etc. used to make the equipment not included).

Equipment/Tools needed:
  • Wind/Water Powered Tumbler:
Essentially a small-scale windmill or waterwheel that drives a belt or chain. The other end of the belt/chain is connected to a wheel/sprocket with a large bolt running through it. The wheel/sprocket is held in place on a base easily crafted with wood with metal tubes acting as bearings for the bolt to pass through on both ends of the wheel/sprocket (makeshift tube bearings can be held in place with conduit fasteners). Think of this as "Assembly A".
"Assembly B" can be made up of a small section of metal pipe (say 4" diameter), capped at both ends, one end being threaded or otherwise removable. Both capped ends would have rods/bolts fixed to them to be secured in makeshift sleeve bearings. One cap end will have a socket fastened to it in order to connect to the bolt head on Assembly A. The ball bearings to put inside the tumbler can be found from disassembling all kinds of stuff using ball bearings, although I'm sure other things can be substituted here.
Use your imagination, I'm sure there are all sorts of creative ways to build something like this.​
  • Grinder:
A hand-cranked coffee grinder can be substituted for the electric grinder in the video, or even a pepper mill (may take a long time but it gets the job done).​
  • Metal Mesh Strainer:
Probably not all that difficult to find in a restaurant or even in some homes. One could be made with mesh screen as well.​
  • Mixing Pan:
Self explanatory, use whatever. A cookie sheet, pie tin, etc.​
  • Spray Bottle:
Seriously, what household doesn't have one of these?​
  • Scale:
Pretty common both analog & digital (batteries may/may not be included).​
  • Screen Panel:
Pretty much exactly what the guy had in the video. A wooden frame with screen attached to it. Cut screen from windows/screen doors, screened in patios/decks, or scavenge it from hardware stores. Use whatever underneath to catch the end-result black powder pellets.​

Materials Needed:
  • Charcoal:
Pull it out of your fireplace before it burns up.​
  • Potassium Nitrate (aka Saltpeter):
Commonly found at garden supply stores & home improvement stores (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.).​
  • Sulfur:
Can also be found at garden supply stores & home improvement stores.​
  • Dextrin:
Not all that common in stores. You'd likely have to make this yourself by baking corn starch which is readily available at grocery stores, supermarkets, and likely many homes. Without electricity you'd have to use a natural gas or propane oven. A hooded bbq grill would probably work as well, or even a large pot over a fire (just make sure you have a way of controlling the temperature!). A general video for how to make dextrin can be found here:

After that it's pretty much just a matter of following the steps outlined in the first video. I feel the ability to make your own black powder in a zombie apocalypse would be crucial at some point and can be used to make all sorts of things. Make your own bullets, used in traps, makeshift grenades, signal flares, etc.

*EDIT*
I forgot about Dextrin, added above. ;)

Last edited:

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
+1
Love the idea and I have nothing to add apart from, careful with what you're YTing... Don't want to be on FBI's most wanted :p

Thread starter #3

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
+1
Love the idea and I have nothing to add apart from, careful with what you're YTing... Don't want to be on FBI's most wanted :p
Meh. If the FBI really gave a **** that video would have been taken down by now, it has been up for 2 years already. ;)