• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

DIY "Thunder Cap" Trap/Alarm

Thread starter #1

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
You guessed it, came across another video that sparked this thread. :p

I'm not sure, but I think this mixture might be too volatile to make any sort of substantial explosive, but it would be great for making some sort of alarm.

Materials Needed:
  • Box of Matches - Those wooden "strike on box" matches. "Strike anywhere" matches would probably work as well (possibly more volatile).
  • Tape - Just about any kind of tape would work. 3/4" - 1" masking tape would be ideal as you can color the tape with markers or paint to help camouflage it.
  • OPTIONAL: Markers/Paint - Really anything that can apply color to tape (depending on the kind of tape you're using).

Tools Needed:
  • Knife - Really anything with a sharp blade could be used. A razor blade is ideal.
  • "Smasher" - While a hammer was used in the video, really anything could be used to gently smash the match head material off of the match.
  • Collection Sheet - Something to put under the materials to collect them. Really anything could be used like a piece of paper, a plate, cookie sheet, etc.
  • Mixing Container - Any small cup or container.

How to Make:
  1. Gently smash the match head material off of the matches.
  2. Gently grind the match head material into a powder using the flat side of the knife.
  3. Scrap the striker material off of the box using a sharp knife/razor blade.
  4. Gently pour the materials into a mixing container and very gently swirl the mixture around until thoroughly mixed (approx. 30 seconds).
  5. OPTIONAL: If you plan to color your tape, now is the time to do it while still on the roll.
  6. Tear off a 1.5" - 2" piece of tape and lay it sticky side up.
  7. Carefully pour a small amount of the mixture onto the tape.
  8. Very gently fold the piece of tape in half, making sure all sides of the tape form a seal around the mixture.

These "thunder caps" are pressure sensitive and don't take much force to go off. Place them on the ground in strategic areas in and/or around your home, behind you as you enter an unknown building, etc. When they're stepped on they will explode. While causing no damage to speak of they will make a loud bang similar to a cap gun toy, alerting you of nearby potential threat.

Inspired by this video:

NT TxR

Strat's Monkey
Backer
really cool idea!

EDIT:
would work great against zombie hordes!
Just put some in your Area and set them off so they wont attack you in your house :D

Davz Not Here

Backer
You guessed it, came across another video that sparked this thread. :p

i not only guessed it ..... but ..... i (like the devs :D ) was wondering why it's been so long ..... at least 10 days now i think, maybe more

Thread starter #4

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
I like it alot, done the same kinda thing using tennis balls, cut of the match heads then stuffed them in the ball with a stone and made a homemade grenade, would explode (mainly just a big bang really :p) on impact back when I was a kid playing army with guns etc...

Ahhh the good'ol days.

Thread starter #6

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
I like it alot, done the same kinda thing using tennis balls, cut of the match heads then stuffed them in the ball with a stone and made a homemade grenade, would explode (mainly just a big bang really :p) on impact back when I was a kid playing army with guns etc...

Ahhh the good'ol days.
I've done that too. Wrap it tight in duck tape for a better bang (so the reaction doesn't escape out of the slit cut into the tennis ball). :D

Put some BBs or ball bearings in there and you have a makeshift grenade. ;)