1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

end goal

Discussion in 'Gameplay' started by Danielinnv, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Danielinnv

Danielinnv Well-Known Member Backer

Aug 14, 2016
    I know this has been mentioned but I think its good to bring it up again. In all succseful survival games there is some sort of main goal, something that all of your work will eventually go to, EX. rust with the rocket. Without it the game reaches a limit and your left with nothing to do but if there is an objective then it keeps the game alive and adds more challenges.

2. JB_

JB_ Developer Staff Member Developer

Jul 25, 2014
  3. Danielinnv

Danielinnv Well-Known Member Backer

Aug 14, 2016
    I think there should be several end options. There could be a nuclear missle that hits dead center of the isalnd which would kill everyone. There could be powering the entire island which could power a military bunkers main blast doors which could have a research facility with some sort of way to find a cure or some sort of weapon that could kill hundreds of zmbies at a time. OR there could be a hidden bunker system that could hold the entire population of the island and is self sufficient, but in order to open the bunker system you have to complete some sort of large objective. those are just a few ideas ive had.

Num47 and JB_ like this.
  4. RickGrimesdd

RickGrimesdd Survivor Backer

Apr 29, 2016
    i feel like it's actually more like each time you play you set your course on how the game ends for you.

Num47 likes this.
  5. DZS

DZS Survivor Backer

Jul 12, 2017
    There will come a point where the game is feature complete and support/development will be scaled back as A2Z starts a new project. It would be nice to see ongoing quests, perhaps a small dedicated team from the community who write small quests periodically and submit them to Staff for consideration. Ofcourse that requires programming and implementation, but its an idea. It could keep STN fresh and new as time goes on. Eventually most online games do start to age and become a bit boring ofcourse modding will help there. There's nothing like having official updates with new content, its the reason Diablo 2 had such popularity for years. Like adding a new weapon now and then makes players come back, or a handful of new sidequests that unlocks something new and unique. Eventually the dev's will be done and dusted and want to move onto something new, but i hope they continue legacy support for years to come even if its just updating the modding tools to keep things working nicely with mods and helps support the community. Engine updates are great too.

In answer to the Ops topic, yes quests are good but the game should be open ended. And i dear say many servers will spring up once the dedicated server is released offering roleplay and such cause many people enjoy doing that. The quests will be created by those hosting servers, in effect. A main quest is nice but it should not be the goal of playing STN.

Num47 likes this.
  6. DZS

DZS Survivor Backer

Jul 12, 2017
    Maybe some escape scenarios? To fit in with open ended, the player re-spawns back at the escape point with unique items that can only be obtained by escaping. After player bob escaped on a boat with a few friends they found the mainland to be overrun by the walking dead, raided as much stores as they could without being trapped and turned back to the island. One possible story to fit the scenario.

Player bob and his mates discovers a working submarine, and decides it would be better to escape the island. The subs's leaky and needs parts to repair its engines, once those things are completed the players escape. Only they find coastal area's of the mainland in bad shape and not suitable for living, they scrape up whatever they can find 'unique items' and return.

A hidden nuclear bunker is discovered by a player bob, it requires a ton of electronics and repairing to make it habitable again but its ultra secure and zombie proof including an array of security features which can be restored to working condition and upgraded. Sort of like the best crazy clan base on the entire map but takes a ton of work to get in a suitable habitation condition and hardly something one player can do due to the immense resource requirements. But for a team its a great end scenario goal. To make it ultra top secret it should randomly spawn per server reset. Veteran players would know of its existence but a noob could equally beat them too it. It would also give rise to a mountain king scenario, top ultra big ding a ling clan rules the bunker haha, likewise they would get assaulted hard and constantly. Fun for all :p Russian's would love it.

A small scientific lab complex offers a tech clan base with high tech security along with the ability to manufacture vaccines which counter players turning into zombies. The only place like it on the island. The objective is to restore the lab to working condition, kinda like the bunker but even harder due to the specialized replacement parts needed. But the objective pays off, not only do players gain the only source of vaccines possible on the map they get an impressive base along with it. Im sure many players would pay a high price for vaccines :p

Thats some other ideas for ya.

Num47 likes this.
  7. DZS

DZS Survivor Backer

Jul 12, 2017
    Not bad ideas, they would result in a server reset. Interesting way of triggering a reset. Oddly i wrote some suggestions above then saw your post lol.

8. RaakaKarju

RaakaKarju Active Member Backer

Oct 14, 2017
    This end game goal can turn against of to game it self, players rush to that and lose interest of game after they reach that.

I think what make game alive longer time is, somesort of wave of zombies wash on shores some periodic time or some random event, but on those zombies carrying ammo and weapon loots or something rare what you don't get anywhere else.
    (Hopefully bow's and other graftable weapons come soon so that how much ammo and weapons you find on loot at this moment, now 1 day in any town oand you have more ammo and gun's to start of III world war. Like yesterday 1 day in addersfield i found .308 ammo over 150 and 9mm ammo some over 100 so that is too much and easy.)

That wave make lot of damage of fortificated houses and cars if you are not defending of those, that wave stays in island couple of days and after that some of those go back to sea and some stays in island, those zombies what stays in island moving in large packs like atleast 10 zombies.

I know some player want game to be easy but i like when it's hard to survive alone, like in towns it's allmost impossible to survive alone.

That event can be some other random event too like some hurricane or other nature event. Where you need to do something extra to survive but rewards of those are good.

Num47 likes this.
  9. Bchhog

Bchhog Avid Supporter Backer

Aug 13, 2014
    Why must there only be one? I'd rather much see several options available, that either work up toward something larger or provide an island wide benefit. Taking JB's suggestion of having the power restored, it could lead toward fixing a radio station in order to make contact with the outside. (Which could prove unsuccessful.) As a consequence, light and heat would become less of a priority and consume fewer resources as long as the generators are running. Fueling it and maintaining the power could be an extra task in itself that has far reaching consequences.

As far as scenarios go I'd say pure survival would work just fine. With large hordes roaming about in the beginning, survival would be tough but relatively easy so long as the non perishable food lasted. However, as time moves on the difficulties of surviving flip, and its acquiring food that's the challenge as zombie numbers dwindle. (There's also the possibility of survivor zombies with armor or weapons.)

I think the survival aspect with how its looking will provide plenty of content. The best way I see to lengthen or complicate things would be a search for answers. Where you must raid heavily fortified zones to progress with a main story objective. (Rescue, Escape, Extra Items, etc) However, it's not mandatory. So, while you're out there risking life, limb, and last nights supper you could get PK'd or deterred by a player who's purely focused on surviving.

With multiple goals there's room for players to get in each others way as well as to cooperate. I think conflict and cooperation are both necessary for a genuine survival experience. Imagine, you lose all your gear to a man who tore through a horde of zombies with nothing but hockey gear and a mallet. A mob of dead that you avoided, and which he brought your way, all for him to nab your Snickers and Mountain Dew.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    JB_ and Num47 like this.