• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Entertainment vs. Mental state

Thread starter #1

Iain

Backer
So most people hear of kinds of mental warfare such as Chinese Water Torture -dripping water on someone's head at random intervals of time until they go insane with anticipation- or White room -Putting someone in a white room and giving them as little mental stimulation as possible till they begin to hallucinate and eventually go insane-. What many people don't know is that these forms of torture are extremely effective and something like a zombie apocalypses would have many of the same mental effects. For one, people would be so focused on survival that eventually they completely stop any form of mental stimulation. Your stress levels would increase drastically from constantly hearing zombies groaning, and it being very likely that when you fall asleep you may not wake up. Witch in turn impairs sleep, mental state, the ability to process information, and you're physical strength. So my suggestion is to possibly be able to increase you're mental state by doing things like reading, speaking to other players, music, or maybe even petting you're dog. Even if it's a temporary mental change.

Baby Blender

big man
Backer
Yes, I agree. I would personally find it imperative to wear earbuds/ear muffs of some sort, because later on if they make this game gritty with realism, the drone of zombies gurgling and yelling would literally drive someone to the edge. Mix that with the constant chance of murder, the thought of an undeas nails and teeth ripping into your dry skin, and the constant stress that causes lack of sleep, its hard.

Regards, Blender

Bhikshu

Backer
I like the thought of having earmuffs to reduce what you hear, maybe even finding electronic earmuffs that let you hear steps but reduces the zombies groans. I also like the ideal of having a radio playing in the background or being able to have an Ipod and listening to music while gathering supplies. I would be like it to just access my music files, but on the other hand if you had to find CD's and such that would be cool too.

TheClassiness

I'm not too sure about this suggestion. It's very true, with constant groaning and knowing they're coming for you, you'd go insane in no time. Although from a gameplay point of view it feels like this would be more of a hassle than a fun gameplay mechanic. After all, you're going to be maintaining quite a lot in this game already, supplies, base, mental state, defenses, your vehicle, ammo. The last thing I want to happen is my guy losing stats over being too focused on survival.

Bhikshu

Backer
I'm not too sure about this suggestion. It's very true, with constant groaning and knowing they're coming for you, you'd go insane in no time. Although from a gameplay point of view it feels like this would be more of a hassle than a fun gameplay mechanic. After all, you're going to be maintaining quite a lot in this game already, supplies, base, mental state, defenses, your vehicle, ammo. The last thing I want to happen is my guy losing stats over being too focused on survival.
I understand, however if being around other people it will encourage teamwork. Also it could mean adding mini games to play at night. More of an end game feature then something you do the whole time.

Castillo

Survivor
Backer
Again the possible abuse and/or exploitation of this needs to be taken into consideration. People that just spend their time killing others could use this as an advantage to stabilize their mental health to continue killing others, which most people would surely think is unfair. It's not a bad idea, but ideas like these need limitations to their effects, how many times they can be used etc to prevent abuse of them.

Davz Not Here

Backer
thought it time to rekindle this thread.
mini games ..... sometimes i am a fan, sometimes it's nice to check them out, and then ignore them completely

but for the sake of passing the time on long dark nights, especially the zombie free quiet ones
a simple deck of cards (which is 52 separate items)

solitaire
cards with friends (so many games to choose from)
throwing cards (think Bill Murray in Groundhogs day)
checkers
chess
dominoes (game and knock down fun)

for day time fun:

horse shoes
bocce
corn hole

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
thought it time to rekindle this thread.
mini games ..... sometimes i am a fan, sometimes it's nice to check them out, and then ignore them completely

but for the sake of passing the time on long dark nights, especially the zombie free quiet ones
a simple deck of cards (which is 52 separate items)

solitaire
cards with friends (so many games to choose from)
throwing cards (think Bill Murray in Groundhogs day)
checkers
chess
dominoes (game and knock down fun)

for day time fun:

horse shoes
bocce
corn hole
I dig it. I think it would be really cool if everything was separate items found throughout the game world that you have to collect until you have a complete set (though it could be possible to find multiple pieces at once). Once you have a full set you can play the game(s). Also collecting a full set could give you an achievement. *runs off to post achievement ideas*

Davz Not Here

Backer
Again the possible abuse and/or exploitation of this needs to be taken into consideration. People that just spend their time killing others could use this as an advantage to stabilize their mental health to continue killing others, which most people would surely think is unfair. It's not a bad idea, but ideas like these need limitations to their effects, how many times they can be used etc to prevent abuse of them.
when it comes to mentality, and exploits, there is a [growing] list of
I dig it. I think it would be really cool if everything was separate items found throughout the game world that you have to collect until you have a complete set (though it could be possible to find multiple pieces at once). Once you have a full set you can play the game(s). Also collecting a full set could give you an achievement. *runs off to post achievement ideas*
+1
but, with some 'common sense' about it .....

collecting 'all 52 cards' 1 at time is certainly achievement worthy, but also kind of a headache, possible storage issue, etc.
so finding 1-10 cards (or even 1-5) cards at a time seems better, maybe having the 'face' cards ( J - Ace) a little more rare. People as a rule seem to save / use these cards (bookmarks and such)

the same applies to chess and checkers ....

horse shoes, bocce, and corn hole would almost always be found in sets ..... corn ole 'targets' could be a craft-able item

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
when it comes to mentality, and exploits, there is a [growing] list of

+1
but, with some 'common sense' about it .....

collecting 'all 52 cards' 1 at time is certainly achievement worthy, but also kind of a headache, possible storage issue, etc.
so finding 1-10 cards (or even 1-5) cards at a time seems better, maybe having the 'face' cards ( J - Ace) a little more rare. People as a rule seem to save / use these cards (bookmarks and such)

the same applies to chess and checkers ....

horse shoes, bocce, and corn hole would almost always be found in sets ..... corn ole 'targets' could be a craft-able item
Hence why I said "(though it could be possible to find multiple pieces at once)". :p

Honestly I wouldn't want to find a full set of anything, including horse shoes, bocce, and corn hole (bean bag toss). Stuff gets lost all the time, even moreso I would imagine in an apocalyptic environment where things get thrown around as you scrounge for your essentials before GTFO, people breaking into abandoned homes scavenging whatever is left behind, raiders robbing you, etc. Stuff gets lost and separated. Finding separate items (even with multiple but not all pieces found together) not only gives you something to work towards, it gives you some barter material if you have excess pieces.

Davz Not Here

Backer

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
I could not stop laughing at corn hole :D

Love the idea of mini-games, would work with betting and enforce the thought of playing co-op or being human friendly in general I would think... I don't mind the thought of collecting any amount of anything to be honest, I'm going to need things to-do after-all and things I don't need to trade for things I do... the mentality boost comes natural like most things with this idea too.

But to address the OP...

There are somethings that kinda won't need to-be considered... because the way I see from what I know is, the character you are playing has already survived the initial outbreak and X amount of days/weeks/months after so their mental state would be that of a stronger mind not to go insane from what they have witnessed to begin with.

The noise and everyday threat of death you might see as how things are now and be able to deal with those with surviving so far but the visuals of the world i.e gore to generalize and violent actions taken upon you or done by you, I imagine are the things that would have the constant effect against your mental state.

Just my thought on the overall mental state.
:)