• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

farm animals

Thread starter #1

justin25

Backer
Since the game looks like it is set in the country side I think we should have farm animals that can be found either on a farm or running around such as cows chickens and pigs. Also they should be able to breed.

Dale Lansley

Backer
Thats a brilliant idea especially if you want to settle down in one certain area for a long time you can be more self sufficient.

Zipp3n^

Backer
To much animals Will make it to easy to survive I think. But a very few chickens and pigs maybe. I don't know.. I both wanna start my own village, with animals and people to live with, but i even more want to be alone in a scary dark world where my can of beans is the only thing That keeps me alive over the night.. so maybe if they make a few animals that is very rare..

How should they work? Will they make baby pigs once a week? Or will it keep random spawn pigs as we kill them?

Thread starter #5

justin25

Backer
Yes I was thinking very rare and you would have to feed them or they would die. Also the zombies could try and eat them.

Zipp3n^

Backer
But you can't get food from them unless you kill them? Except eggs end milk..

Fallen Angel

Backer
Farming and herding would be a great addition to the late game... espcially for single player and/or communites on servers who needs more food. +1 :)

Baby Blender

big man
Backer
Breeding is something that is not as easy as throwing two opposites genders in a pen and waiting for the moanies to kick in. It takes an environment and proper care/preparation to do right.

I like the idea of farm animals, but a more realistic approach to start would be the ability to have chicken lay eggs and collect those, and then later on when the game has been out and is open more to finer details, breeding would be great.

Regards, Blender

Boomerix

You shoot it, you eat it.....no exceptions....
Map is going to be an archipelago, no farms or ranches.
You can get farms on archipelagos
Implying British Islands are not filled with sheep
Implying Pacific Islands don't have pigs
Implying Hawaii doesn't have wild cattle, pigs and goats running around
Implying not a single Human had some farm animals

As far as I remember, if you live on the country side (and dev. said abundance shotgun/rifle types of weapons because of country side) you have to have at least your own chickens and a vegetable garden! People that wasted their space in the garden on a nice lawn instead of some crops, animals or fruit trees were always the "weird people" living in the village. Of course the opposite is also true, you don want to have chickens in a city apartment......

way420

Survivor
Backer
I play a lot of survival in all of them you have rabbits rats cows chicken and sum others y cant we have a chicken coop or cows for milk or rabbit breeding idk I think it be cool

Last edited:

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
I'd be all for this. It would definitely be a risk/reward type of thing. You'd have to make sure you keep your animals well fed so you would have to make scavenging trips for feed (even if it's foraged stuff). Plus they would likely make noise which would attract zombies so you'd need to make sure they were well protected from zombies, not to mention poaching players.

*edit*
Not to mention you'd have to gather all the supplies to set up a pen or something in the first place. And live trapping stuff would be difficult in a zombie apocalypse, trapped critters make LOTS of noise. So yeah it'd be really difficult, a really good risk/reward dynamic.

Last edited:

way420

Survivor
Backer
lol chickens in a closet for eggs. they show you growing plants in 5 gallon buckets so sum corn and you got feed grass for cows scraps for pigs lol I would love it

Crazypineapple55

The Official Bus Driver
Backer
Breed Ostriches and ride them into battle. Sign me up. I rate 8.5 Battle Ostriches out of 10.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Great idea, and again surprised it's not suggested :)

Like Montauk said, the risk and reward with this would be really high but well worth it... if you had something like this I imagine everybody would want to do business with you even thugs if they are smart enough.

It would be funny if you could keep small animals indoors (chicken,goat, pig etc) but the downside to that would probably be poor quality food from them and also hygiene would be a problem but maybe doable if desperate

Davz Not Here

Backer
+1 on this idea
and as it has been asked already ..... why has this not been suggested before?

I'd be all for this. It would definitely be a risk/reward type of thing. You'd have to make sure you keep your animals well fed so you would have to make scavenging trips for feed (even if it's foraged stuff). Plus they would likely make noise which would attract zombies so you'd need to make sure they were well protected from zombies, not to mention poaching players.
if it becomes possible to fence off large areas of grassland (or even small tracts) ..... the herd animals could free range most of the year (winter requires supplements)

chickens i would not worry about the zeds catching them ..... have you ever tried to catch a chicken? i have ..... the zeds woud never be able to grab one ..... unless they were caged or cooped up at night, but no more or less than if you have to hold off a fox, raccoon, opossum, coyote, etc.

Not to mention you'd have to gather all the supplies to set up a pen or something in the first place. And live trapping stuff would be difficult in a zombie apocalypse, trapped critters make LOTS of noise. So yeah it'd be really difficult, a really good risk/reward dynamic.
the pen and fence supplies ..... 4" diameter tree branches are great for fence posts and pole barn buildings (Which can be quite strong and aesthetically pleasing)

-----

in addition to the animals mentioned in the OP i would like to see:
- honey bee hives - wax, honey, and royal jelly resources, as well as a pollinator for my garden and fruit trees, = health / mentality boost
- horses - transportation, hauling / work animal, = faster resource collecting and a mentality boost (horses are great friends)

this video below (and there are 1000's of videos and as many variants on the theme) revolve mostly around gardening BUT the relevance to this topic, Animal Breading, has to do with how [some of] these gardens incorporate chickens, ducks, rabbits and fish into the process

Last edited: